Top 4 - struggling to care?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would love to play cl football but as a neutral for the cl this season, I have to agree that it can get a bit boring and pretty repetitive. Usually the same 6-8 teams in Europe playing knockouts and going deep, the UEL and UECL are much better to follow(for neturals).

Yep this. If by now people haven’t missed winning cups then you’ve got to say they’ve been conditioned into thinking it doesn’t matter.

Let's not strawman the idea that getting CL is the only thing that matters to people.... No-one has implied that. Ditto the notion that people don't want trophies.

The other bloke is prone to that kind of BS, but you're not normally that guy.

Let's not strawman the idea that getting CL is the only thing that matters to people.... No-one has implied that. Ditto the notion that people don't want trophies.

The other bloke is prone to that kind of BS, but you're not normally that guy.

A lot of spurs fans want to prioritise CL over winning a cup (obviously they ultimately want both) and we’ve seen it said loads of times over the years. Personally I think it’s disgusting we haven’t won the FA Cup since 1991. If we had been told then that we wouldn’t win a next one for the next 33 plus years nobody would have believed you.

My priorities every season (results only)

1) FA cup (33 years is bloody ridiculous!)

2) as high a league finish that can be obtained.

3) Europe (if we are in it)

4) League cup (I only start caring if we get through to the last 8)

The problem is i dont think it matters if we're in it or not in terms of going up a level player wise. We've never pushed on once we've qualified for it. There just seems little or no desire to use it as a platform to go that extra yard to properly challenge for the title.

The only time we've had sustained CL footy is whilst we were building the stadium; which for the most part ate up that extra revenue (and partially rendered the new stadium to be 'the house that Poch built').

1 year of CL won't make a huge amount of difference unless you get to the late stages...... Players and manager will get all sorts of bonuses that eat away at the basic TV & qualification money. 1 year helps the balance sheet but isn't a game-changer.

Whether we finish 4th, 5th or 6th who can honestly say they see anything other than another fight for top 4 this time next season? I still hope we get 4th but its been groundhog day for the best part of 20 years now since Jols first full season in 05/06 give or take the odd special or crap season.

Tends to happen when you have had the setbacks that come from Chavs, City cheating their way into the mix at our expense...........

Without that we would have actually had sustained CL footy for 17/18 of the last 20 years..... That's a huge chunk of change and 2 less (cheating) bohemouths not to have to compete with for players.

Did you miss the bit where I said I enjoyed it?
Sorry, fair enough. My comments were mainly replies to others who were more negative.

The bit of my reply that was most relevant to your post was about not being successful because we lost in the final. I’d still argue that for a team that has never reached the CL final in their history that losing in the final does constitute a degree of success.

Also compared to the near-misses in the with Jol/Redknapp and even the Poch eras, gaining CL doesn’t really affect the quality of players we can bring in.

We knew we’d absolutely have to get top 4 to keep a Berbatov, Carrick, Modric or Bale plus signing a Van Der Vaart.

In recent times we’ve signed Romero, Udogie, Van Der Ven, Bentancour etc without CL. When we had CL, I don’t think our summer 22 window has aged or will continue to age well.

A lot of spurs fans want to prioritise CL over winning a cup (obviously they ultimately want both) and we’ve seen it said loads of times over the years.

What was said in the past (10/15 years ago) isn't pertinent to the current climate amongst fans....... In 2024 (and certainly not in this thread) people aren't as besotted with qualifying for the CL cos we've done it a bunch of times.

Conflating that with finishing as high as possible in the league is a false representation (and an extremely common one from TFCs chief naysayers).

Personally I think it’s disgusting we haven’t won the FA Cup since 1991. If we had been told then that we wouldn’t win a next one for the next 33 plus years nobody would have believed you.

Not really the sentiment nor implication I responded to, fella.

I get the argument that Europa is more winnable so the quickest route to a trophy.

However Champions League gives the best oppotunity to get the best players and ultimately that's what will get us where we want to go. No elite players want a team that has Europa as an aspiration. The reduced money, reduced prestige, the increased games and playing teams no one has heard of all contribute. I don't see how thursday-sunday is worse for players than wednesday-saturday but they also seem to hate it. Plus all fans hate sunday games.

I think the elite players would rather play for a team that competes regularly in the Champions League rather win the Europa once. I don't think that would even change anything in opposing fans attitude to us, even.

Bit cliche but always subscribed to the old adage "shoot for the moon, if you miss, you'll still hit the stars". I think it sums up 2019 nicely.

It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low​

Spurs fans: Nah let's aim for Europa League football
Question Mark What GIF by MOODMAN

I may be in the minority, but I'd rather watch Spurs play top European teams every season than celebrate a day in the sun (i.e. winning a worthless cup like the Carabao) once in a while.

A lot of spurs fans want to prioritise CL over winning a cup (obviously they ultimately want both) and we’ve seen it said loads of times over the years. Personally I think it’s disgusting we haven’t won the FA Cup since 1991. If we had been told then that we wouldn’t win a next one for the next 33 plus years nobody would have believed you.

Blame all the players.

I’ve got fed up of going to Wembley to watch our various squads/teams shit the bed in cup competitions.

Noticed people on another thread getting the old rose tinted specs on with the Redknapp era.

Wonder how many were at Wembley on the 11/04/10. Amazing day out!

200w.gif

Setting aside the fact that of course I want us to finish as high up the table as possible, that's just a given, I too am not overly fussed whether we get CL or EL next season. The only thing with getting EL, given that it seems likely 4th and 5th will get CL, is that we would have likely finished below this dreadful Utd team, and that would stick in the craw a little bit. Apart from that, much of muchness to me.

Back
Top Bottom