Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

£150k? He can go elsewhere and get £300k - and I think he knows it.

Surely the same applies to most of our stars though. Kane could instantly get double, as could Rose, Dele and Christian. Do you sell them because we can't compete with the PSGs, Cities or Man United of this world, keep them on close to what they are on but still not satisfy them or blow out on wages leaving the club at a somewhat financial risk.

Are we as a club becoming a victim of our own success if that's the case? Tricky one but we hold all the cards, they are our assets in my opinion.

Giving them incremental increases is the only way we find a healthy balance for all concerned. Unless there's a shit load of cash we are sitting on that nobody knows about

£150k? He can go elsewhere and get £300k - and I think he knows it.

As I said earlier, he also knows how wrong it can go and how easily a club that can pay him 300k a week can throw him away like nothing. He's had experience with a champions league finalist, and they treated him like shit.

£150k is pushing it. No way we're going to pay £200k.

Does it matter if he signs a contract? When did Kyle Walker sign his last contract with us? Where's he playing now?

Years left on contract is proportional to the fee you receive for a player.

If a player has 1 year left on his contract, like Barkley, you obviously don't pay the same fee you would if the player had 5 years left...

As I said earlier, he also knows how wrong it can go and how easily a club that can pay him 300k a week can throw him away like nothing. He's had experience with a champions league finalist, and they treated him like shit.

Then we should accept that perhaps there is a reason we bought Sanchez.

Years left on contract is proportional to the fee you receive for a player.

If a player has 1 year left on his contract, like Barkley, you obviously don't pay the same fee you would if the player had 5 years left...
I understand that and there is a difference in what we would get for a player on one year compared to five. I'm not convinced the difference would be huge between three years and two years though.
We could have got maybe £70m - £80m if we'd sold him last month and we'd get the same if we sell him in the summer, if he still hasn't signed a new deal.

I agree with this to an extent. Of course they should get what they can. What I disagree with is that 'they have to get their last payday to set them up for life'. I would be set for life on a one-year contract on £50k a week so let's not entertain the fact that they 'need' to take the last payday.

Your life style, hobbies, house and habbits are far cheaper than theirs.

If a footballer gets use to going on 6 holidays a year that cost £300k a year, guess what? That £50k a week is gonna be burnt up pretty fast.

On top of that many footballers use their last pay day to set up a company. You cant set up a restaurant chain or prestigious charity foundation with nothing.

It always baffles me that people think footballers are "extremely rich". Bill Gates earns 50mil a week and he's not even top of the list by any means. It isn't uncommon for an actor to earn £50-60 mil a year, which is more than a footballer. Gary Lineker earns £2 mil a year, for sitting on a chair and prompting questions.

The reality is a person gets paid a portion of the wealth they generate and it's footballers who drag in the billions in tv money.

In the scheme of the world, footballers earn fuck all and provide a huge amount of entertainment.

Good to see the folk on here negotiating fantasy contracts. What figure did both sides settle at in the end?

:pocheyes:

Last edited:

If a footballer gets use to going on 6 holidays a year that cost £300k a year, guess what? That £50k a week is gonna be burnt up pretty fast.

On top of that many footballers use their last pay day to set up a company. You cant set up a restaurant chain or prestigious charity foundation with nothing.

It always baffles me that people think footballers are "extremely rich". Bill Gates earns 50mil a week and he's not even top of the list by any means. It isn't uncommon for an actor to earn £50-60 mil a year, which is more than a footballer. Gary Lineker earns £2 mil a year, for sitting on a chair and prompting questions.

The reality is a person gets paid a portion of the wealth they generate and it's footballers who drag in the billions in tv money.

In the scheme of the world, footballers earn fuck all and provide a huge amount of entertainment.

All fair points. For the money that is in footy footballers get a rubbish percentage compared to other sports.

My lifestyle is proportionate to my income. If I knew my career was over by 35 then I'd plan for it. The fact is I cud be set for life on a one year £50k contract. Anyone could be so my heart isn't gonna bleed when I hear a player has to move cos his career is short and has to maximise his earnings.

At that point you may as well sell him next year for £40-50 mil+.
This is where I think clubs are wrong! Would the extra 15-20 million a year early be worth more to the club or his performance for one extra year maybe leading us to the top 4 again be worth more? Money isn't everything.

3 years? Toby isn't going to lose his skill when he turns 31.

He already has a 3 year contract..............why would you pay him more and give him the exact same contract length....

Has to be 5 year minimum imo.

It's decision time and we either keep him until he gets well into his 30's or you sell him next year. If we're going to sell him we should sell him next year. Not when he's 31 and we'll get nothing.
Maybe that's why we have bought Sanchez and Foyth.
We don't know what he's asking for. It all depends on whether he's willing to play for us.
We could offer him £7.8m a year for 4 years , that's enough to secure his family's future before retirement.
He could get £9.3m pa somewhere else where he feels he could win more stuff.
Let's just hope he likes it here and wants to stay for a couple more years and see if we win stuff.

I would think it's also about the club scrapping that clause in any new contract, tying him down and making it more expensive for a club to buy him if he decides to leave within 2 years of signing it.
By then either Sanchez or Foyth may be good enough to replace him, we make maximum profit.
The club can get £50m for Walker, Luiz cost £34m in 2016 and he was touching 30.
Alderwiereld is worth £40m easily in today's market. If it continues maybe more in 2 yrs.

All fair points. For the money that is in footy footballers get a rubbish percentage compared to other sports.

My lifestyle is proportionate to my income. If I knew my career was over by 35 then I'd plan for it. The fact is I cud be set for life on a one year £50k contract. Anyone could be so my heart isn't gonna bleed when I hear a player has to move cos his career is short and has to maximise his earnings.
I buy that.
They get paid enough at the top.
A low 65k a week over 5 years is more than any average person could make in a lifetime. Nearly £18m. You have 20yr olds getting that. If they have a 5 yr career they are not going to be destitute, unless you spunk it.
The average career must be 10yrs, I'd guess.

Have footballers got more expensive lives?
150k a year, about £3k a week- that's 5 times the average wage, for 20 years is only £3m
How do we all survive.

I agree with this to an extent. Of course they should get what they can. What I disagree with is that 'they have to get their last payday to set them up for life'. I would be set for life on a one-year contract on £50k a week so let's not entertain the fact that they 'need' to take the last payday.

All our big payers are on enough to set them up for life. Of course they could earn more elsewhere but they are handsomely rewarded regardless.

The next stage for them all to get raises is when we win something as far as I'm concerned.
It's ridiculous to expect a footballer to stay at a job for less money than his peers when non-footballers the world over regularly change companies and/or demand pay rises to obtain equal compensation for their experience, value, and contributions.

Just because £50k a week is a massive wage doesn't mean a footballer should just take it and be happy when he knows that he has the potential at other companies of earning £150k p/w. The numbers are massive, but the concepts are no different. We all exchange work for wages, and we'd be fools for selling our work on a discount.

I don't think anyone said you should pity a well-heeled footballer, that's a bit ludicrous. But rather pointing out theres no need to get upset and call them greedy cunts, traitors, etc. for simply doing exactly what the majority of working folk do - accepting the highest paying position they can obtain.

This is where I think clubs are wrong! Would the extra 15-20 million a year early be worth more to the club or his performance for one extra year maybe leading us to the top 4 again be worth more? Money isn't everything.

If the difference is 5th and 4th, it's totally worth keeping him.

If the difference is 2nd and 4th, the difference is almost nothing and you may as well sell him.

We'll never know though.

I don't think anyone said you should pity a well-heeled footballer, that's a bit ludicrous. But rather pointing out theres no need to get upset and call them greedy cunts, traitors, etc. for simply doing exactly what the majority of working folk do - accepting the highest paying position they can obtain.

I wouldn't call them something in those strong terms :)

I do think though our individuals need to look at themselves a bit right now. We - they - have won nothing. When we qualified for the Champions League most would have got rewarded - I assume. The next time they should be rewarded is when we win something. They have as much chance winning something here as anywhere else with the league as it is these days so the only reason to leave is money. That is usually a sound reason - it is obviously a sound reason for us working folk - but surely it is different here.

Anyway this sounds like I'm on a downer - I'm not. I love this group of players. I just want them to see it through. They could all be legends. They will win things. I just don't want people to spoil something we're so close to! :)

My lifestyle is proportionate to my income. If I knew my career was over by 35 then I'd plan for it.

You're use to being "poor" (relatively speaking) and budgeting. If I'm 16 and I earn 2.5k a week, do you think I'm going to be planning my retirement out in 20 years time?

The sheer amount of privilege of the rich means they lack many key skills. An incredible amount of footballers go bankrupt before they hit 40.

Brad Friedal. Seems down to earth, right? Seems like he has a lot of common sense? In 2011 he went bankrupt.

David James, England international, lots of big moves. Surely has a lot of money right? Bankrupt in 2005. 9 years later, guess what? He's still bankrupt.

Pele? Bankrupt.

Maradona? Bankrupt.

You take for granted your ability to sensibly handle your money. Not everyone has that skill and even fewer footballers do.

Well some clubs are paying 60-70% of their total income on salaries. A huge amount of those salaries would be taken up by the players. Seeing as only a few PL clubs pay their staff the living wage, I'd say they are paid a lot of what clubs earn.
The campionship in 15/16 was paying these percentages to turnover it's obscene and unsustainable
[/URL]

Well some clubs are paying 60-70% of their total income on salaries. A huge amount of those salaries would be taken up by the players. Seeing as only a few PL clubs pay their staff the living wage, I'd say they are paid a lot of what clubs earn.
The campionship in 15/16 was paying these percentages to turnover it's obscene and unsustainable
[/URL]

You got a league of multi millionaire owners all wanting a slice of the Premier League TV money and gambling the farm to get it.

We can give him 150k and still be within budget. That will probably be our ceiling in the new ground. I dont think what they are asking for is unreasonable. But on the other hand Im glad weve got Levy in charge who doesnt cave into player demands.

If Toby wants more than the 150k the club can afford, then we have to sell and re invest the money. No ifs no buts. We just have to not get to emotionally invested in a player because unless you are a club that can pay top wages, youre just a stepping stone for bigger and better things.

Back
Top Bottom