Toby Alderweireld

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I have agreed with a few comments here but do not think Alderweireld is on 50k per week.

Undying loyalty is maybe too much to ask from players, including as I think we will find out soon enough from Kane but denying yourself a pay rise for 2/3 years in the hope of tripling your money at a later date is a leap.

Like most players he is one poor tackle or twist from 6 months out and a return to playing at not quite the same level.

High stakes on his part. We sell in July if no contract signed by then and rightly so.
He's on at least £75k mate.

Saints 14/15 2nd best defensive record Spurs 10th
15/16 3rd ......Spurs 1st
16/17 7th Spurs 1st

Toby has to have an influence despite the defensive midfielders .
Toby Eriksen Kane Vertonghen are consistent performers.
They all should be on 100k a week.

Especially the last 3 as they have been here a while now.
I think it’s totally plausible now. Levy will pay him as much as we can afford.
If he wants more, then he’ll go.
The next contract Alderwiereld signs will take him up until 33+ depending on the length of extension
He’s happy here, he’s said so.
We should pay him what he deserves, make it competitive. He could see out his best years here.
We can also then get top dollar if he decides to leave during contact. So it’s also in our best interests to extend..
I’d say give him a pay rise and an extension until 2022.

If I was a footballer enjoying my football would be the priority.
If I got paid £300k a month and was contracted for 4 yrs, basically a millionaire 3 times over every year, £15.6m for those 4 yrs would be plenty.

I’m sorry, but if anyone can’t survive on that is a cunt.

If earned £20m from 21 - 28 I’d be ecstatic.
Said before short career maybe, but compensated extremely well. some careers last a lifetime and would earn a third of what a footballer on £75kpw earns in 4 yrs (£15m) in 50 years, at a very decent wage of £2000 per week.
Probably not even half with massive pay rises each year above inflation.

Last edited:
If I got paid £300k a month and was contracted for 4 yrs, basically a millionaire 3 times over every year, £15.6m for those 4 yrs would be plenty.

Said before short career maybe, but compensated extremely well. some careers last a lifetime and would earn a third of what a footballer on £75kpw earns in 4 yrs (£15m) in 50 years, at a very decent wage of £2000 per week.
I do t think anyone has ever claimed they can’t “survive” on a PL footballers wage. But if Toby is on around £3.5m per year, but he can sign for the likes of Barcelona, get paid twice that and still enjoy his football, why wouldn’t he do that? I would.

IIRC, when this originally came up I remember it being reported that the major road block was Toby insisting on a release clause in his contract, not salary disagreements.

IIRC, when this originally came up I remember it being reported that the major road block was Toby insisting on a release clause in his contract, not salary disagreements.
I thought he already had a release that would come into action if we picked up a year extension.

Don’t know where I was going with this....

Those clubs who offer more cash are a safer bet on Trophies than us too. So from a football perspective can argue its better for the move.

I really don't like these sort of correlations because they totally miss the point. It's akin to a teenager saying you should never ask for a pay rise because he would love to make what you make.

Compensation is always a relative metric. You might be happy with your wages, but if you found out a less productive and competent coworker or peer at a rival firm was pulling down 150%+ what you're getting you'd get the hump. There's nothing at all wrong with demanding to be justly compensated for your efforts.

And its not like if footballers stop demanding higher wages the money is going to go to war widows and orphaned children of impoverished estates. It's gonna buy cunts like Abramovich, Kronke, et. al bigger and better homes, jets, yachts, etc.

As far as the whole enjoying your football thing....you realize that to most of the players football is simply a lucrative career field, and there's bound to be far, far more than any of us realize that honestly don't even like fucking doing it?

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAeUAAAAJGQ5MDQyYjY0LThkNzgtNDI1OS1iMjFkLTI5YWJhN2IwODE5Zg.jpg

It's about market rates. Simple.

If you live in SE England chances are your house ain't really worth what you could sell it for.

Will you sell it for less? Have to be very good reasons to do that.

His salary is a relative shambles; Levy should reward the catalysts of the quantum leap under Pocchettino accordingly.

Toby probably has another 4-5 years of elite performances in him, and making sure he spends them in a Spurs shirt should be a priority.

I don't sympathize with any of them.
Pay him what he's worth? Relatively speaking you say?

Ok, let's see.......kicking a ball around for 90 minutes a week.

Relatively speaking, he's lucky to get a tenner a week for that

Back
Top Bottom