"TITLE RACE" ( There is no sense not talking about it)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Well, thank you to this thread.
giphy.gif

The title was always a stretch, but I'd have to consider it a bottle job if we don't finish 2nd especially after learning from the pain of last year.

What did Poch and the team learn from last season ?

Hopefully, that it didn't seem that difficult to finish 2nd but we still found a way to balls it up in spectacular fashion. That they need to focus and get the job done as early as possible with the remaining matches and not get too comfortable with the 8 point lead.

Obviously a lot. We have improved a lot, you can see it on goals scored, goal difference and the 77 points we have with 3 games to go.
Also that without Moose we were fucked. So:

1. He went out and bought a proven PL MF destroyer (Big Vic Wan), also proven to know how to play a Poch formation/style, and for an absolute steal of £11m. He's been a beast.

2. He gave Tiddly Winks his PL debut and saw his judgement rewarded with a player who is easily good enough to start a PL match, even came on at 60 mins and saw out Chavski 2-0 with complete absence of drama.

Other stuff:

Back 3 formation, which makes better use of our combined talents (possible exception of Dier, but still early days). We've still only played 2 matches with that formation and with our best XI. And in both we looked pretty fuckin awesome.

Subs. Maybe my imagination, but he seems to sub earlier and to better effect.

Fitness. We seem to run even more than last season, and no ill effects. 2 years ago we hit the wall at Easter. 0-0 at Burnley, 0-1 to tictacs Tim's Villa. That seems an age ago now.

Quite a bit really imo.

No bollocks international tournaments in the summer either, I expect the boys to come back well rested, fit and firing in the summer, our slowish starts have cost us both times in my opinion, I think if we are to win the league, we have to be in amoungst it from the off really, or have an obscene chelsea type run if we are playing catch up.

Too many draws seems to be the downfall, it's lovely to lose so little, but if we can turn a few of those draws into wins we are laughing

The 'draws-to-wins' stat really has been our undoing... (in terms of the title...) but the sheer volume of WINS and goals scored has been unlike anything I've known in my lifetime of supporting Spurs.

Winning games always feels better than simply 'not losing' them... but the draws specifically away at Sunderland and home to Leicester feel like the ones that got away... woulda given us 4 extra points that might well have come in more than handy right now!!

Well, thank you to this thread.
giphy.gif

The title was always a stretch, but I'd have to consider it a bottle job if we don't finish 2nd especially after learning from the pain of last year.

It would signal player departures as well. There is no fcuking excuse for anything other than 2nd.

It is churlish and nonsensical to moan in the slightest but a measly point on Friday would have kept Chelsea waiting for longer and made 2nd all but definite already.

Would we be more gutted if Chelsea won or dropped points tomorrow?
:sonhmm:

I somehow feel like the latter would make losing against West Ham even more galling - whereas if they win it'll underline how the title was always a long shot for us and we could just get on with enjoying the match against United...

If I'm not mistaken they play tomorrow and another game before Spurs face ManU. If they win tomorrow and the next one they are both practically and mathematically clear as champions. On the other hand if they loose both we have a shot at reaching one point behind against ManU. I prefer to have a microscopic piece of hope left. So hope they loose big and hard.

If I'm not mistaken they play tomorrow and another game before Spurs face ManU. If they win tomorrow and the next one they are both practically and mathematically clear as champions. On the other hand if they loose both we have a shot at reaching one point behind against ManU. I prefer to have a microscopic piece of hope left. So hope they loose big and hard.
Don't do it to yourself...
:levywtf:

But kudos for dreaming.

Would we be more gutted if Chelsea won or dropped points tomorrow?
:sonhmm:

I somehow feel like the latter would make losing against West Ham even more galling - whereas if they win if underlined how it was always a long shot for us and we could just get on with enjoying the match against United...

I'd like them to drop points anyway, preferrably lose that game. Football is weird that way. No one believe that we can win the title now, but in theory 7 games of 90 minutes of football still remain.

We got 50 from 60 points in the 20 games before West Ham. We should still aim to win our remaining three games and see how near it takes us. I don't want us to end up 16 points behind Chavs and two ahead of Scum.

I want the team to show us that the winning mentality is growing and that means picking themselves up for the remaining three games too.

Back
Top Bottom