Tim Sherwood

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't know where this utter bollocks eminates from. No justification for it at all, in recent times Ramos was sacked to save us from relegation, Redknapp was sacked for being a turd and making us a joke through his wobbly jowls on skysports constantly (plus england job), and AVB apparently broke down and dug his own hole.
Then why does Levy give a man £100 million to spend on new players (that he hasn't full control of signing), but doesn't let that team integrate the ideas of the manager? Levy hasn't backed Sherwood here and that has led to discontent from players and supporters alike.

Then why does Levy give a man £100 million to spend on new players (that he hasn't full control of signing), but doesn't let that team integrate the ideas of the manager? Levy hasn't backed Sherwood here and that has led to discontent from players and supporters alike.

Pardon?

He didn't. We sold £105m of players and Baldini found replacements to spent the money on.

How do you feel that Levy "let that team integrate the ideas of the manager"? Do you actually know/read anything about the circumstances of AVBs departure?

I mean, fuck, there's even a GIF a couple of pages back showing AVB having the start of an emotional breakdown on the touchline.

And how hasn't Levy "backed Sherwood here".

For like the third person this week, if you want people to understand your points of view, you need to communicate them and not make random bleating statements which make no sense or have any form of clarity...

Utter bollocks with the Redknapp white washing. His team was much stronger and balanced than what we had. It included Bale, Modric and VDV. One of the best wingers in the world,a world class creative central midfielder who could thread through balls and an effective number 10 that linked up well with Adebayor.Fast forward to the present day. this is your team

Naughton Dawson Kaboul Vertonghen
------------sandro---bentaleb------------
Walker-------Sigurdsson------lennon
---------------Adebayor----------------

You honestly going to slag off some of these players when they simply arent good enough. Has kaboul not shown enough passion despite being injured nearly 2 years. What about sandro,does he lack character?. Has vertonghen suddenly gone from being a rock in our central defence to someone who dosen't care. Isn't dawson always chirpy and saying we will bounce back. Hasn't Adebayor scored goals from nothing.

Tim sherwood is a fraud. Blaming the players for his tactical short comings.

Tim sherwood is a fraud. Blaming the players for his tactical short comings.

Right... because Chelsea were really looking like a case of men against boys before Sherwood thought it would be a compelling tactic to tell Vertonghen to lose his footing and turn the ball over, and then concede a non-existent penalty and a sending off for Kaboul.

Tactics; that's what settled this game. Right...

I don't think this game was lost because of a lack of "characters", but there's been one too many instances of us capitulating for me to disagree with Sherwood that a boot up the ass (not arse) isn't a terribly bad idea, regardless.

Glenn Hoddle disagreed with Tim Sherwood's decision to question the character of his players after Tottenham's 4-0 loss to Chelsea.

The Spurs boss said his players lacked character in the second-half at Stamford Bridge, suggesting they were "too nice" and "need to show a bit more guts" - adding that there are some members of the squad he "would not count on".

However Hoddle, who managed Tottenham from 2001 to 2003, feels he should have kept those opinions in the dressing room and says Sherwood needs to prove his managerial credentials when his team aren't playing well.

"It's a different era now," he told Saturday Night Football.

"I agree he was very honest but personally that's something you say in the dressing room to the players. You might come out and disguise what your feelings are.

"Management is about when things are going wrong. When you're playing well and winning, it's easy to be a manager of a Premier League side.

"He's being tested now. His testing time is coming now because of this result and other results like Norwich away. That's when Tim Sherwood is going to be tested as a manager.

"But it's not his fault that his players went and made those mistakes, they were individual mistakes.

"That's not down to the manager. He didn't set them up to make those mistakes."

Unlikely
Sherwood also said Tottenham were unlikely to finish in the top four this season after falling four points behind Manchester City who've played three games fewer.

Sky Sports expert Jamie Redknapp agreed with that assessment, citing individual errors that led to three of the four goals Chelsea scored on Saturday.

However, he admires Sherwood's passion and determination to do the job in his own style.

Redknapp said: "In a way for a lot of people, that is refreshing because he's probably saying what every Tottenham fan thinks tonight.

"It's very easy to turn around and say 'we did alright and needed a bit of luck here and there', but he was just honest and straight down the line.

"People are talking about Tottenham having to get into fourth if he's going to keep his job. I find that absolutely ridiculous.

"They have finished fourth twice in the last 23 years, so what makes them have a divine right to finish fourth this year?

"The players they bought in the summer - Capoue, Chadli, Lamela, Paulinho, Eriksen... half of them weren't even playing today and were on the bench.

"If Tim wants to build a squad and a team capable of competing to get in the top four, they have somehow got to be signing better players to be part of that squad.

"What I will say is that is a man who is going to live and die by this. He is going to tell his players exactly what he thinks, whether they like it or not.

"This is probably not the modern way of doing things and if Tim doesn't like it, then he probably won't play them next week."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/29330/9203611?

Why are people talking as if Titan Tim has been giving his marching orders? I don't think he'll be going anywhere until the end of the season, whatever the results are - for the simple reason that top four has now pretty much been lost and nobody coming in can recover it. So Levy hasn't anything to gain by sacking him now.

As for those saying that he should've been backed, are people forgetting that Sherwood insisted he didn't need any signings in January?

This display was another example of what I have been on about for weeks. We're playing lacklustre, slow football that lacks any heart. A few wins against lower sides have very much glossed over this. Sherwood has now even admitted this with his post match comments (which should never have been made and once again betray his inexperience).

Sherwood has well and truly confirmed to me what I have maintained all along, that his inexperience was too much of a risk. I said his real test would come against the bigger sides and that's when we'd know if he had what it took to succeed. I wouldn't have cared if we had lost but did so through a spirited display. But these players clearly don't want to play for Sherwood, he knows it. Saying that he can't count on players is the sign of a desperate man and just about the worst thing to say. In fact it's not only that, but it's a distinct message to the players that can create a wedge between them and him - which is exactly the opposite of what he should be doing at a time he has an unhappy squad. It's his job to motivate them. Again, the inexperience shows through.

For me the summer can't come fast enough so that we can see the back of this awful season and start afresh with someone who has a vague idea over what he's doing.

I actually don't blame Tim for this - he didn't appoint himself. Anyone expecting him to pull off a miracle was being naive to say the least.

The buck stops at the top and too long have we been the PL's laughing stock, having sacked another manager following two losses and a draw. Fucking joke.

Whoever comes in next - well, I hope he's given a bit more time to implement his 'project' because we gain FUCK ALL from this constant sackings. Joke.

Would make no difference - the condition is now terminal.

Start a fresh in June and hope some of our quality players are still left in August, following van Gaal's words of 'persuasion'

Let me ask you something, do you want us to go the way of Chelsea, sacking managers just because... Or shall we stick by our manager until the end of the season and then reassess?

Why are people attacking him for his post match comments? I agree with Tim fully. We need some players with guts and guys who are there to win not guys who pick up Chelsea players after a tackle. We havnt got players who want to win at the moment. Don't understand why coaches always need to pussy foot around players but players can tweet and say what they want. We need more players who are up for a fight.

The board should have backed him from the start. They decided to give him an 18 month contract which is neither here nor there, and that breeds uncertainty among the players. Levy should have given him the job until the end of the season (where his performances would be reviewed), or given him a long-term contract but he did neither! Everything starts from the top, and if the people running the club don't show the manager his dues then what will the players think?

Sherwood gets too much stick around these parts for what is a very difficult proposition. Why can't we just back our manager while he's at the helm? He's a former player, English and shows a lot of passion for the club. He started off very brightly, and we're onto the next round of the Europa League. The season hasn't even finished yet and some of you are asking for his head on a plate already?

How the fuck can we become a stable, successful club if we pull the trigger at any hint of a problem?

Step back. Assess the situation. Then you'll fucking understand that we're a fucking laughing stock.
I never asked for his head on a plate and I agree with pretty much all you said. But those comments TS made yesterday sounded like "beginning of the end" stuff to me.

Fuck this shit.
I'm tired of people bashing and blaming Tim, especially after yesterday. He didn't do anything wrong pregame (with the lineup), and he didn't do wrong with his postgame (comments).

He perfectly explained this negativity: "Because no one wants or expects a rookie manager to preform well."

I pity Sherwood. I mean, is it a coincidence that both Sherwood and AVB had similar postgame interviews? Is it a coincidence that with both managers, the players (as a whole) have been shameful?

Some people say that Sherwood is responsible to get the best out of our players and inspire them.
But again I ask you: Is it a coincidence that both AVB and Sherwood faced difficulties with that?
As Sherwood said, "The players need to drag it out of each other." He can't be the only one doing this job.

Sherwood's not the issue.
And whether you decide that the players/the board is responsible OR whether you want Sherwood to stay or not ... calm the shit down, and wait until after the Liverpool game because much can happen up until then regarding both the PL and the EL.

So just COYFS a bit!

Why are people attacking him for his post match comments? I agree with Tim fully.
You may agree, but it's not good man management. It drives a wedge between him and the squad. Saying he can't rely on players is hardly going to perk up the under performing ones is it? Many English managers have tried that sort of approach and it rarely works. It's Tim's job to motivate them. If he can't then he should step aside. I don't often agree with Hoddle's view of the game, but he's 100% right on this. Sherwood should've at least said it to the squad in private. Not to strangers in the press and therefore the public.

Having said all that, my own theory is that the players don't think he'll be around much longer and just don't care. A poor attitude to be sure, but, for all my criticism of Sherwood, that particular issue is probably not his fault. It is, perhaps, again his inexperience that lead him to take on the job in the first place during the middle of the season when, looking back on it, it really was a poisoned chalice. The stakes were high and he's always faced an uphill struggle. Fair play if he's just using it as a springboard into management but, if it were me, I wouldn't want to jump in midseason with the pressure so high and with no experience.

Fuck this shit.
I'm tired of people bashing and blaming Tim, especially after yesterday. He didn't do anything wrong pregame (with the lineup), and he didn't do wrong with his postgame (comments).

He perfectly explained this negativity: "Because no one wants or expects a rookie manager to preform well."

I pity Sherwood. I mean, is it a coincidence that both Sherwood and AVB had similar postgame interviews? Is it a coincidence that with both managers, the players (as a whole) have been shameful?

Some people say that Sherwood is responsible to get the best out of our players and inspire them.
But again I ask you: Is it a coincidence that both AVB and Sherwood faced difficulties with that?
As Sherwood said, "The players need to drag it out of each other." He can't be the only one doing this job.

Sherwood's not the issue.
And whether you decide that the players/the board is responsible OR whether you want Sherwood to stay or not ... calm the shit down, and wait until after the Liverpool game because much can happen up until then regarding both the PL and the EL.

So just COYFS a bit!
Sherwood's inexperience is a problem and yes it is his job to motivate them. You say you're tired of people bashing Tim and that he's done no wrong - and that the same was evident under AVB. Need I remind you that AVB is no longer here for a reason?

The stupidity in most of the arguments I read over Sherwood is that people can't get their heads out of their arses and realise the debate is not black or white. It's not a case of either 100% his fault or poor little Timmy is innocent all the way. In reality these are the facts:-

1) Yes, the players should be ashamed of themselves and their attitude.

2) Sherwood took on a job, the brief for which was to get the squad firing and get top four.

3) Sherwood's job is to motivate the players behind the scenes.

4) Sherwood needs the support of his players to succeed.

5) Sherwood was at the club throughout Redknapp and AVB's tenures and is not a new face to these players.

I'm sorry, but once a manager loses the dressing room then surely he's failed? It's not just about what formation he picks. It's about what goes on behind the scenes. Now, I don't for one minute think that it's entirely down to him. The farce at QPR last season shows us that sometimes you just have lazy, overpaid prima donnas who just want to collect their cheque every week. But the task that now faces Sherwood is that in the summer he has to win the squad back onto his side and probably revamp the way the whole system currently operates to start building his own project. But is six months of experience enough to even begin to start accomplishing such a feat?

This is why I talk about shades of grey. The players may have a disgraceful attitude and it may well be undermining Sherwood to some degree. But the fact is that these players did not turn into unmotivated shit overnight. There are managers out there who have motivated them in the past. Unfortunately at THFC the managerial buck stops with Tim and if he can't reverse the malaise and win back the dressing room then he needs to step aside for someone he can, irrespective of the player's current attitudes.

Like it or not, this football club is not going to go forward with Sherwood at the helm in it's current state. The only scenario I can see Sherwood succeeding in is if Levy sanctions yet another total dismantling of the squad and a second mass spending spree this summer, which you and I know isn't likely to happen.

As for the Liverpool game, Sherwood's remit from Levy is top four. We are now four points off fourth, with City having three games in hand over us. You do the maths. He's just too inexperienced to stage a Wenger-esque late season comeback. Like it or not he's failed in his allotted task. Even if he wins the Europa he'll be gone in two months. Time for people to adjust to that reality.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom