Ticket and travel package scam

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Got an email from the club about my stadium access card. It was asking me to check my barcode number with one detailed in the email. Never had an email like that from the club before, may be they fear counterfeit access cards???

Ok so a few months ago I bought a package from a sports travel firm for the Everton game.

I was coming home to see family and threw in the game too for my last trip to WHL....me and my missus booked the package from Sweden from an online company. I dont want to say their name, because after talking with them, they seemed genuinely unaware that their supplier distributed tickets in the way we got ours.

We paid around 1000 quid for three nights in a hotel and two tickets, which we collected at reception.

Imagine our surprise when we received two membership cards with the names of two people we dont know, and a little piece of handwritten paper saying what block and seat......and a printed letter with lines such as:
"If you are approached by a steward under no circumstances say that you bought the tickets from an online broker. Say you were given them by a business associate"

They did not want you to ask for your seat placing or speak to anyone whatsoever.

The letter ended saying if the cards were not left back at reception for some Mr X to collect, then our card would be charged for future missed games.

After the initial shock, we forked out an extra 200 odd quid last minute on Stubhub (sorry haters) for two tickets in 31 East Lower.

No way I was gonna try and get in with that shit....I was on the verge of calling the club, but in the end I left them back, and contacted the travel company when we got back yesterday. They were going to follow it up, and I do give them the benefit of the doubt here, as they have been operating these trips for over twenty years now.

But beware out there people, and as Guido has pointed out, could be a big scam under way.

I doubt the access cards were even charged for that game to be honest, we could have got into some trouble at the gate.

I don't get how this scam works tbh

You need a memebership to have an access card, and even if you're cloning someone else's how do you know they're not going to the game already
They're not cloned - they're the originals bought in different names. There is no 'other' member.

Edit: well there is, but they have no intention of going. Just a real name and address.

Last edited:
Surely that costs a packet and with the ballot they're not even certain to get a ticket on each card?
Over a season it's nothing. Yes, the ballot has made it harder, but they wouldn't sell a package until the ballot results were known. As soon as it goes back to first come first served, it will be easy.

It's no different in principle to giving a card to a mate, but on a larger scale and charging for it.

Sammy would have been ok, but was quite right to be suspicious imo.

As Joe said, I reckon its a genuine membership. Maybe in a fake name, or maybe even a genuine member who has no intention of going, and just sells his seat illegally for rip off prices

Over a season it's nothing. Yes, the ballot has made it harder, but they wouldn't sell a package until the ballot results were known. As soon as it goes back to first come first served, it will be easy.

I suppose if they're legit memeberships there's not a lot that can be done

I don't imagine their "business" will fare quite so well in the new stadium

It's no different in principle to giving a card to a mate, but on a larger scale and charging for it.

Sammy would have been ok, but was quite right to be suspicious imo.

The thing is, your not even allowed to give it to a mate, its only valid for the card holder.

And its definitely another thing buying it for a small fortune from a company, that advertises itself as a sports travel firm with packages to games and concerts

The thing is, you not even allowed to give it to a mate, its only valid for the card holder.

And its definitely another thing buying it for a small fortune from a company, that advertises itself as a sports travel firm with packages to games and concerts
Yes, you were perfectly entitled to expect paper tickets.

As to your first point, yes in theory, but everyone does it - the club doesn't care. People buy and sell Hotspur Hotspur tickets on twitter, but only at face value, with a tenner as deposit for the card.

Yes, you were perfectly entitled to expect paper tickets.

As to your first point, yes in theory, but everyone does it - the club doesn't care. People buy and sell Hotspur Hotspur tickets on twitter, but only at face value, with a tenner as deposit for the card.

Yeah Id trust someone I knew, but I had no proof that those were even charged for the game, as they never sent the original email.

They've agreed to refund us anyway.

Yeah Id trust someone I knew, but I had no proof that those were even charged for the game, as they never sent the original email.

They've agreed to refund us anyway.
Without the email it's a bit moody. The email has the block and seat numbers on it as you know. Post-its on the back of the card don't quite have that ring of authenticity. Glad you got your cash back.

Back
Top Bottom