THST Fan Survey 2022 - The Results

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock

Eighth annual survey of Spurs fans reveals strong backing for formal fan input at Club Board level, plus concerns over broadcast issues and ticket pricing

1/8/2022

Picture

Improvements on the pitch have contributed to a much more positive set of results year-on-year in the Tottenham Hotspur Supporters’ Trust’s annual fan survey, but there are some vital warning signs on tickets and pricing. The survey, now in its eighth year, is the largest independent barometer of fan opinion at Spurs, with 6,001 responses providing a rich crop of data this year. The survey was open to all Spurs fans, regardless of geographical location, Trust or Club membership status.

There’s strong backing for a formal supporter voice in the way the Club is run – which should focus minds as plans to implement the recommendations of the Fan-Led Review into Football Governance advance. Broadcast issues and ticket pricing are the areas topping the poll on what Trust priorities should be next season according to THST members – with anti-discrimination work and tackling online hate featuring in the top five for the first time. Of those who participated in the survey, 35% were Trust members, 35% General admission Season Ticket holders, and 73% were based in the UK. A full breakdown is included in the report, which can be downloaded at the end of this article.

Last year’s results made for difficult reading for THFC’s owners, ENIC, in the wake of the European Super League debacle and a poor showing on the pitch. There’s a more promising outing this time around, with 59% of all respondents judging their stewardship of the Club to have improved over the 21-22 season: a significant swing from the 75% who considered it to have declined in 2020-21. There’s still room for improvement on confidence in their long-term strategy and transfer policy, however. Significantly, an overwhelming 91% of all respondents supported the principle of clubs qualifying for competitions solely on sporting merit.

We wanted to get a clear indication of attitudes towards ENIC, so we asked respondents to indicate which of a number of statements most closely mirrored their attitude to the owners. Just 3% said “I’d like ENIC to sell up now”. THST has taken criticism from a vociferous section of fans for not representing fan feeling on the Club’s ownership. Our stance is best summed up by another statement about ENIC included in the survey: “They do a great job with the business side but I’d like more focus on the football side.” That was agreed with by 70% of all respondents, and by 73% of Trust members. So we’re satisfied we are representing the view of the vast majority of our membership and the wider fan base, and that the views of the 3% have had a more than proportionate airing.

Support from THST members for legislation to reform football (79%), an Independent Regulator for English Football (81%) and for a formal voice for fans in THFC’s decision-making process (85%) was very strong.

The percentage of respondents indicating they’ve renewed their Season Tickets for the coming season is high, with 97% of respondents saying they had continued with their Season Tickets for the 22-23 campaign. That said, 42% were critical of the pricing, and 62% unhappy with having to pay for their new Season Ticket by 29 April, when last season was still in progress.

The Club’s attempt to erode the principle of concessions is very unpopular, with 70% of all respondents and 88% of over 65’s disagreeing with the decision to withdraw Young Adult and Senior concession categories from cup pricing, and 83% of Seniors agreeing that concessions should be linked to the person, not the seat.

The broadcasters fared very badly, with 72% of UK respondents saying consideration of match-going fans had got worse during the 2021-22 season. Some 41% of UK-based fans said they had been unable to attend a game they had tickets for because of the kick-off time being moved for broadcast, with many overseas-based fans reporting the same. Our survey found 74% of UK-based fans and 69% of overseas fans were left out of pocket as a result. All of this contributed to broadcast issues being identified as the number one priority for Trust work next season. With a new broadcast contract looming on the horizon, more consideration for match-going fans needs to be built in and we’ll be using our findings on which match-day slots are least popular to inform our work. The survey found Monday and Friday night slots were the least popular of the current broadcast slots with match-going fans.

Results on match-day experience at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium are positive, with over 70% of UK respondents who’d attended a home game last season happy with safety, security and policing, and 67% saying they regularly eat and drink inside the stadium before games. There are also some positive numbers on the quality of what was offered. But the survey revealed a growing number of concerns about a drop in the quality of products and service, and on the upward movement in pricing.

Looking at travel to and from the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium, satisfaction with the four main transport hubs serving the ground – White Hart Lane, Seven Sisters, Northumberland Park, Tottenham Hale – ranged from 47% (Seven Sisters) to 65% (Tottenham Hale). But the Club needs to get its cycling game into gear. Just under 2% regularly cycle to games, and 44% of that number are dissatisfied with the cycle parking provision.

Over three quarters of all respondents who’d attended a home match last season (77%) were satisfied with the match-day atmosphere; up from 53% last time out, with strong support for more flags and banners and the establishment of a singing section. There’s also strong backing (46%) for the Trust’s stance of supporting grassroots initiatives to help improve the atmosphere. Support for safe standing – trialled at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium after a long campaign led by THST and subsequently supported by the Club – is still high (85%).

The full results from the THST Fan Survey 2022 are now online in a handy report with easy-to-digest graphics. There’s more detail on ticketing and broadcast issues, some interesting findings on match-day atmosphere, and much more. You can download at the end of the article.

Finally, we are delighted with the level of support shown for the work we do, with 80% of Trust members who responded saying they were satisfied with our work over the last year, and 72% saying our approach to dealing with the Club was about right.

Thanks once again for your support, and for your continued help in ensuring the views of fans are heard and acted upon.

Well worth a read, IMO

97% renewing is funny as there was a poll in here where those who are anti-ENIC were claiming there were mass unrest and 20%+ were not going to renew :roflmao:

97% renewing is funny as there was a poll in here where those who are anti-ENIC were claiming there were mass unrest and 20%+ were not going to renew :roflmao:

97% of people who could be bothered to fill in a survey. Not the actual total fan base.

I think it will be around 10% didn’t renew.

(20% seemed a lot).

They were calling me well after the cut off date trying to get me to renew. They went though the 100k OH+ members and when they hadn't sold all the non-newals they tried lapsed STs.

Yeah I know

I reckon those giving up due to not liking Levy or the direction of the club would probably be more likely to respond to the survey than those that are happy and did renew though

All I know for certain is that they went through the entire ST 'waiting list' and on to lapsed STs in order to sell them all.

If you reckon it is that difficult to sell 1500 STs (based on the 3% figure) to a 150k members then i'll take your word for it.

They still have some Premium STs available.

Yeah I know

I reckon those giving up due to not liking Levy or the direction of the club would probably be more likely to respond to the survey than those that are happy and did renew though

If they aren't, they sure as hell should be........

Back
Top Bottom