The Zaha Team (a) 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Jobs Worth

Other football commitments tonight mean Ive just finished watching the game. So much to the delight of some of you, I will keep it brief.

I thought for 75 minutes we pretty much controlled things but, somewhat understandably, without Eriksen and Winks I think some of the zip and creative verve we showed in the week was absent. Noticeably absent was the speed at which the ball was moved against PSV, and some of the interchanges between the likes of Winks, Eriksen, Alli and the FB's. And for all our domination during that 75 minutes, we didn't really create enough of quality, too much carelessness by the likes of Lamela and Kane saw moves frequently frittered away in the final third.

We have to caveat the game by saying Palace are a pretty shit team with Zaha, without Zaha they are utterly devoid of attacking threat. That said they probably ended up having the best chance of the game at the death, when Sissoko blotted an otherwise decent copy book by letting their donkey of a CF walk off him and get on the end of a ricochet, which if he wasn't a donkey and he puts anywhere other than straight at Lloris would have been an equaliser.

Hodgson came out with some bullshit post match, bemoaning the fact that they've ended up giving it a go in the last 10 minutes and wasting a couple of great chances for a deserved equaliser that we wouldn't have begrudged them, fucking twat, if you tried to play for the first 75 min then maybe we wouldn't begrudge you a point, as it is, you only tried to play football once all was fucking lost and it was so late you had fuck all to lose.

I was glad to see Lamela get the start, only for him to really disappoint. He wasted several situations by over playing or poor control, and should have controlled that lovely through ball from Alli.

Alli did his best to fill that 8/10 hybrid void left by Eriksen, and didn't do a bad job at all, and looked to be the only one of our players likely to create something tangible, although not enough. Moura was lively as ever, bit surprised he got hooked again, this time before Lamela.

Great to see Wanyama have a solid 90, nothing orgasmic, just a good solid performance, and Sissoko probably had is best 90 in a Spurs shirt, worked hard, kept things simple as you'd expect, but played a couple of decent passes too in build ups, also dropped in between the CB's on occasion.

Got to give the boy Foyth the MOTM tonight though, after last weeks mare the kid has bounced back to show character, help us to a rare clean sheet, show some cool on the ball when playing out and pops up with the winner.

All in all, this was a better performance than some of our other scrappy league wins this seasons, it was a job done, but with less sloppy drama and loss of complete control we've seen for much of our previous games.

Individual

Lloris - He made decent saves but they were pretty routine and straight at him, and he played one crazy pass to Sissoko at one point.

Aurier - Solid defensively, offered knish offensively.

Foyth - MOTM for me. Started cautiously but grew into the game, defended well, helped us play out from the back and popped up with the game winner.

TA - Very solid game.

Davies - Another pretty decent game where he was more involved, and put in a couple of very decent balls, one of which Alli should have done better with.

Sissoko - His most assured game in a Spurs shirt. Went to sleep a the end at allowed them in, but before that was a very decent knock, played a couple of decent passes in forward areas and generally kept things simple and worked hard.

Wanyama - Good to see him put in a solid 90.

Alli - A pretty decent game all in all, saw plenty of the ball, played a couple of incisive passes. He's really bad at aerial duals though (anywhere on the pitch) and second game running he's lost his man at a corner.

Moura - Lively moments and worked reasonably hard off the ball.

Lamela - I thought he was clumsy today, lost the ball too cheaply too often and wasted a great ball from Alli to seal the game by letting it skip away from him. Should have been hooked before Moura IMO.

Kane - Decent effort, showing for the ball etc, but some of his hold up play was poor today, coughing up the ball too cheaply at times.

Sissoko and Foyth our clear best players. You could give either of them the MOTM award to be honest.

I don't think anyone really had a BAD game. Wanyama was probably our worst player but he was in no means bad, just obviously lacking match sharpness and looked dead from 60 minutes onwards, clearly never going to be the player he was but he adds to our depth and we need a fit Wanyama (even if it is the shocking guy from Southampton) to rely on with injuries piling up,

I actually thought both Aurier and Davies were excellent defensively. It's been a while since I've said that about our full backs, Davies especially. Whether it's the run of games doing him good or it was just one of those games where he got a bit of space to drive, I don't know but more of the same please Davies whilst Rose is out injured.

Lamela was quiet and probably just behind Wanyama in terms of our 'worst' players but it was very tight in the spaces he operated and the conditions probably didn't help him. Dele had another good game in his deeper role. SHOULD have scored and hopefully the fitter he gets, the sharper he'll be. Lucas played well too, one excellent defensive header in the first half saved us from going behind. Kane was quiet too but had a hand in the goal, so there.

What I liked most about Sissokos performance was additions to his game. We all know he can get up and down the field, carry the ball forward and how hard he works off the ball but it was the little soft touches, the accurate long balls and brilliant close control that surprised me most. He was like a new man out there today spurred on by the crowd and a growing confidence. He is flourishing in this sort of 433 formation we got going on. Liked that he was happy enough to take the ball from our centre backs and move up the pitch too.

Quite literally everywhere today.

DrqcbFyW4AceZIr.jpg

COYS!

Last edited:
I thought Sissoko was clearly the MotM today. Best performance for us, and certainly the best performance of any player today. The fact that the dressing room was chanting his name after the match suggests that the players feel the same way.

Really happy for Foyth. Looked very assured and got the winner. I think he’s going to be a major talent. He did have that one major fuck up back pass to Lloris though, so it seems churlish to pick him ahead of a virtually flawless job by Sissoko.

General observations: Lloris was very mixed, Aurier was great, Wanyama still looks broken, Dele was energetic but not at the races, and Kane put in the sort of standard display that we were seeing a year or two ago, which is a good thing.

Yeh a lot of effort and good stuff particularly from MS and Foyth . However Palace's record at home is beyond belief bad , last time they scored Pontius was a pilot. We came through this with a large helping of luck , disappearing into a panic at the end .

We can't expect lady luck to continue smiling on us . Lets see what happens when we play a top side .We have no effective shut out mode to defend our slim 1 goal advantages and it will cost us

Thought the tea went there to grind out the result with the conditions and number of games played lately. We won, team played well. Sissoko and Foyth mom, thought Davies has a good game, hopefully back to last seasons level.

Not sure how we'll cope against Chelsea without @CarlitoBrigante in the stands, obviously our players will be used to him moaning like a cunt all through the game, Poch might have to change things around a bit.

Sissoko best player for me, closely followed by Foyth. Solid performance from the rest of the team in difficult conditions and a successful end to a ridiculously hectic schedule of games. Now if only everyone at the club sees reason and stops our players going on international duty, so we can have a rested squad for the chavs game.

I actually thought both Aurier and Davies were excellent defensively. It's been a while since I've said that about our full backs, Davies especially. Whether it's the run of games doing him good or it was just one of those games where he got a bit of space to drive, I don't know but more of the same please Davies whilst Rose is out injured.
!

I’m not going to bite on the “brilliant close control” of Sissoko, hyperbole bait, but this is hard to resist.

They were both solid defensively but with MacArthur and Meyer on either flank, with Townsend and Ayew down the middle and not a Zaha in sight, this turgid Palace were never going to cause the fb’s too many problems were they?

I’m not going to bite on the “brilliant close control” of Sissoko, hyperbole bait, but this is hard to resist.

They were both solid defensively but with MacArthur and Meyer on either flank, with Townsend and Ayew down the middle and not a Zaha in sight, this turgid Palace were never going to cause the fb’s too many problems were they?

Even Brighton caused us problems mate.

March and Knockhart had Trippier and Rose on toast. I'll take any solid defensive performance I can get.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom