The state of our club right now.... Discuss!

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ok. I’ll play.

It goes without saying that Levy / ENIC are to blame here - systemically and historically. And I’ll point out - just for balance - that unforeseen issues such as COVID and the emergence of oil states and super rich Yanks skewed the sport at crucial times against Spurs. But the list of things going wrong right now are largely (but no solely) can be laid at the feet of Levy:

Conte - wrong coach at the wrong club. Football tactics have passed AC by. His tactics, methods and stubbornness are outdated and clearly flawed. On a personal level we can’t gauge how the loss of 3 close friends have affected him this season. But his heart isn’t in it - it seems from afar. Combine this with the posturing over signing a contract or walking away when things get tough (a constant over his 14months) mean that he is a lame duck who (even if Levy wanted to back - which I doubt) can’t be trusted to stay even after the club lays out hundreds of millions for ‘his type’ of player.

The players - poor recruitment coupled with hanging onto players for too long means Spurs are saddled with too many poor and/or underperforming players. The former - Royal, Sessegnon, Lenglet, Doherty plus all of the loanees. The latter, Lloris, Davies, Dier and for different reasons Son and arguably Kane. Another factor related to Conte (which puts the players once again in a terrible light) is ‘happiness’ with tactics, conditioning etc

Paratici - yes, delivered Kulusevski and Bentancur but is now a lame duck / convict and will have to leave further damaging the club.

Us, the fans - suffering as the butt of so many other fans jibes, memes, piss taking. Paying well over the odds for ST’s and match day tickets. Craving a trophy, any hint of success after years of going ‘so close’ and now tearing ourselves apart on line and I suspect, a La Woolwich in the days of Wenger in/out in the stadium.

The vast majority of the above - barring a couple of points - clearly the fault of ownership / management

But yes, 1882 - as a fan of over 40 years it really does appear that THFC have angered the sporting gods badly and permanently!! I’m a glass half empty kind of bloke in life - and (am not joking) can blame Spurs for this…

We'll be fine.

Always seem to have these sort of issues. Went from being disconnected to the club to connecting big time with Martin Jol in charge, brought the fun factor back before it went sour and we went down the winner route with Ramos. It got miserable again (at least there was a cup win that turned us into a big club in there). We then felt connected again when we went with Redknapp who gave us some amazing memories. It then went and turned sour again and we decided to go down the AVB route, which again managed to disconnect us from the club before we lucked out with Pochettino. Rinse. Repeat.

Levy just needs to decide whether we are going to act like a big club, get the big managers in who have a proven track record of winning things consistently, give them everything we need and understand that it's not a long term Alex Ferguson type deal and it's going to be lots of managers in over a short period of time but with potential gains.

Or he wants us to be a club that try and do things the way we've always done it, Play exciting football, provide a ground for some of the best young talent, get the best out of the squad it has and look to build something special with a guy who gets the club and wants to do it all here.

We won’t be relegated for sure but we will have Kane and Son going with Kane off to United, Woolwich probably winning the title, Paratici gone and Conte mostly likely in the summer, ticket prices and food still crazy while with absolutely no forward vision for the club. It’s boring, we are a boring club going round in circles, I enjoy watching Brighton more than us. We have no identity other than a big fancy stadium.

This period post Poch has annoyed me as much as the 90’s, shit football with no plan but somewhat better players overall. I want a fucking plan, an actual vision, and a vision of the football not building hotels.

DDgPzAuXYAEvMqG.jpg

:adegrin2:
DDg-Pz-Au-XYAEv-Mq-G.jpg

So does mine (37). My daughter takes a passing interest and says she is Tottenham if asked but has no interest in going these days.
I haven’t pushed my kids towards football or Tottenham… but they’ve both taken it up and support Spurs. I despair.

The club doesn’t really exist any more. There’s no collective Club of any meaning. The entity that has taken over the name of THFC is worth feeling a part of as much as a commercial cinema or bowling alley - and we’re treated like plastic and dispensable customers anyway - and I really don’t enjoy NWHL at all.

Football - as a culture and a meaningful part of life - is dead at a PL level. Assets that are now just the status symbols and playthings of various horrible forms of super rich international owners.

I’d love a phoenix club like FCUM. Terraces, fun, a community asset not a global economic one. Ain’t going to happen, sadly. So as fans we either stick with the monster of what Tottenham is or we take our money elsewhere, non league, low league etc… which I’m doing more and more of this season. But I still can’t shake off the bug, and I love being in and amongst other proper fans at an away day. So I’ll probably cling on for a bit, hoping, praying for things to change.

What a mug.

I'm at the point now where I just don't care any more. Haven't been to a single game this season, and I don't get excited to watch us when we're on TV.

It's just so obvious now that the owners objectives are nowhere near aligned to the fans' and the manager, so what's the point in me spending loads of money going to games?

I've mentally checked out now, and until Levy is gone, I can't see that changing.

I was offered a season ticket this year ... SO glad I decided not to get it.

I wouldn't say I've 'had enough' 'cos that would be a knee jerking lie...
I'll ALWAYS be a Spurs fan...

But the disappointment and disillusionment I feel towards OUR club right now is confusing....

We've had it WAY worse, we all know that... but this feels different... it's almost like the 'End of Days' feeling....

"I hate Spurs because I love Spurs" (as the old saying goes!)

Last edited:
Ok. I’ll play.

It goes without saying that Levy / ENIC are to blame here - systemically and historically. And I’ll point out - just for balance - that unforeseen issues such as COVID and the emergence of oil states and super rich Yanks skewed the sport at crucial times against Spurs. But the list of things going wrong right now are largely (but no solely) can be laid at the feet of Levy:

Conte - wrong coach at the wrong club. Football tactics have passed AC by. His tactics, methods and stubbornness are outdated and clearly flawed. On a personal level we can’t gauge how the loss of 3 close friends have affected him this season. But his heart isn’t in it - it seems from afar. Combine this with the posturing over signing a contract or walking away when things get tough (a constant over his 14months) mean that he is a lame duck who (even if Levy wanted to back - which I doubt) can’t be trusted to stay even after the club lays out hundreds of millions for ‘his type’ of player.

The players - poor recruitment coupled with hanging onto players for too long means Spurs are saddled with too many poor and/or underperforming players. The former - Royal, Sessegnon, Lenglet, Doherty plus all of the loanees. The latter, Lloris, Davies, Dier and for different reasons Son and arguably Kane. Another factor related to Conte (which puts the players once again in a terrible light) is ‘happiness’ with tactics, conditioning etc

Paratici - yes, delivered Kulusevski and Bentancur but is now a lame duck / convict and will have to leave further damaging the club.

Us, the fans - suffering as the butt of so many other fans jibes, memes, piss taking. Paying well over the odds for ST’s and match day tickets. Craving a trophy, any hint of success after years of going ‘so close’ and now tearing ourselves apart on line and I suspect, a La Woolwich in the days of Wenger in/out in the stadium.

The vast majority of the above - barring a couple of points - clearly the fault of ownership / management

But yes, 1882 - as a fan of over 40 years it really does appear that THFC have angered the sporting gods badly and permanently!! I’m a glass half empty kind of bloke in life - and (am not joking) can blame Spurs for this…
Great Post!
Thanks very much!

You describe impressively how it is a longtime Spurs fan!
I can't compete with you guys but now I also think that Antonio Conte doesn't fit in with Tottenham Hotspur FC.
This is because, in my opinion, the same mistakes are made again and again.

Apparently we are too predictable?!
Maybe it will take a lot of patience but you should approach a rebuilding of our team.
Young, talented, hungry players who want to show themselves, who are aware of the jersey they are wearing.

A trainer who brings in new ideas, systems - can also change during the game - who you can see on the sidelines that he knows his trade and always wants the best.

OT: Today we're playing against the bottom of the table in Frankfurt. In his press conference, the coach said it doesn't matter to me whether FC Schalke 04 is first, sixth or last in the table. We can't influence how they want to perform, we can only influence that we want to give 100% in every (!) game and win the game.

That's the way I mean it!

Tottenham Hotspur has a name for me and certainly for many, many others in Germany!
This ain't some club like... like...

Tottenham Hotspur is something!

And so I hope that a rebuild (blood, sweat and tears) will begin and take us further.

I wish you a great weekend!

Right know ?
We've had total 30 years of Sugar/Levy no wonder we are in a super state of discourse and practically trophy less .
We can never be successful while these shit fucks dictate how this grand old FOOTBALL club operates .

We'll be fine.

Always seem to have these sort of issues. Went from being disconnected to the club to connecting big time with Martin Jol in charge, brought the fun factor back before it went sour and we went down the winner route with Ramos. It got miserable again (at least there was a cup win that turned us into a big club in there). We then felt connected again when we went with Redknapp who gave us some amazing memories. It then went and turned sour again and we decided to go down the AVB route, which again managed to disconnect us from the club before we lucked out with Pochettino. Rinse. Repeat.

Levy just needs to decide whether we are going to act like a big club, get the big managers in who have a proven track record of winning things consistently, give them everything we need and understand that it's not a long term Alex Ferguson type deal and it's going to be lots of managers in over a short period of time but with potential gains.

Or he wants us to be a club that try and do things the way we've always done it, Play exciting football, provide a ground for some of the best young talent, get the best out of the squad it has and look to build something special with a guy who gets the club and wants to do it all here.

You’ll excuse me if I’m not comforted by ‘we’ll be fine’ from the guy who thinks we’re a match for any team in the league and has predicted us to win every match going back to the Cretaceous period.

What Levy needs to do is fuck off. Nothing else.

I haven’t pushed my kids towards football or Tottenham… but they’ve both taken it up and support Spurs. I despair.

The club doesn’t really exist any more. There’s no collective Club of any meaning. The entity that has taken over the name of THFC is worth feeling a part of as much as a commercial cinema or bowling alley - and we’re treated like plastic and dispensable customers anyway - and I really don’t enjoy NWHL at all.

Football - as a culture and a meaningful part of life - is dead at a PL level. Assets that are now just the status symbols and playthings of various horrible forms of super rich international owners.

I’d love a phoenix club like FCUM. Terraces, fun, a community asset not a global economic one. Ain’t going to happen, sadly. So as fans we either stick with the monster of what Tottenham is or we take our money elsewhere, non league, low league etc… which I’m doing more and more of this season. But I still can’t shake off the bug, and I love being in and amongst other proper fans at an away day. So I’ll probably cling on for a bit, hoping, praying for things to change.

What a mug.
I wholeheartedly agree and sympathize. I'm not one to give up at the first sign of trouble, but the last few weeks have been really difficult to take. The players and coach look like they have given up, which makes it all a thousand times worse.
I just want the season to end, TBH.

Are we even a football club any more? I mean this in the fact that do those in charge want us to win , is there dream to see this team victorious on the pitch and win some trophies?
Honestly I don’t think that’s the aim, we are run as a very successful business, unfortunately the football comes second to that.

Back
Top Bottom