The positivity thread: evAngelists only

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

E
X
A
C
T
L
Y

We all know what the real issue/who the real culprit is.

And yet he's still got his legion of fans...or bots I think we call them.

Go figure.
In a positivity thread, all you can think of is attacking the Spurs fans that don't see things your way?

I actually thought you were better than the likes of the gooner and the Paw Patrol.

Was I wrong?

LOL how many times??? We keep saying this every season since Poch left.

How many seasons/TWs for this new major overhaul???
Yes I know Pochettino said it before he left ffs and it’s still no done , our best player Kane wanted out of the current squad the majority could go and no be missed the defence all young and could be managed properly are our main asset

Yes I know Pochettino said it before he left ffs and it’s still no done , our best player Kane wanted out of the current squad the majority could go and no be missed the defence all young and could be managed properly are our main asset

Think really the only changes that need to be made to starting 11 to get our system working better over a season is our forward and a number 9 so that would be 4 new players of good quality.
Not a impossible ask .

Saying that it's imperative we get cover for the inverted full backs also .
Though I'm really quite interested in skipp in that role, he's still young enough for him to be repurposed

That’s fair enough. But how long does that take for us?

What’s our starting point today?

Klopp is probably the best one to look at. His first season squad to the season he won the league. What % of the squad were different to day 1 he walked in the door?

Even Arteta I guess. Did he buy that Pepe character on the wing? Was that his name?
But same applies - squad day 1 to today. It wasn’t a one season thing.

If we aim high level elite players are we needing to replace 80% of the current squad?
I could be wrong, but I think Arteta inherited Pepe rather than bought him.

There is truth in what Rich says though, we ARE at that stage where we have the means to compete for top end players that are ready for the now, rather than for the future. As with everything else though, there's a balance. It's all about the right player(s) that enhance the team. Some on here want a marquee signing for every position, which is unrealistic.

However, if AP is targeting the title, which is essentially what he's saying when he says that top 4 isn't the target, then he absolutely MUST be backed to achieve that. Our recent change in transfer spend, scouting and upper management on the Football side suggest that we are. We've spent a lot of money over the past 5 years, but it's only really the last 2 years that the buying has looked like it has a coherent plan behind it.

I'm of the belief that this will continue, whilst others aren't. I don't have an issue with that, as there are definite grounds for their scepticism.

We'll see in the Summer window I guess.

I've supported this club since I was 3, I've never been a "fan." I've been optimistic about the club all through that time, despite relegation, bankruptcy and the 90's. That is what being a supporter is about to me.

Our optimism for this season may have gone now, but my optimism was never about what we'd do this season under AP, it was always about where he'd take us once he'd got all the moving parts in place, or at least the majority of them.

We were told that this would take a few windows to get it right, some of us listened. We were told we'd have bumps in the road, well we got them. What's exacerbated the bumps is the filth doing so well.

There's an old saying, "it's always darkest before the dawn."

Our dawn is coming, I believe that because that's what being a supporter is about for me. I believe that is why we've changed our structure, and it's why I believe he'll get backed. There are those who don't, which is their prerogative.

The question really is if you have no optimism or belief, why do you bother?

IN

GK
FB (maybe x2?)
LCB
8/10
WF
CF

OUT
12 ish players

It’s a huge operation needed

That's the end goal in 2-3 years but we don't need that to turn our form around.

The foundations are already there for example.

The major overhaul was undertaken last Summer, we're already a year into it, we just need to keep tweaking the squad every TW to see progression.

That's the end goal in 2-3 years but we don't need that to turn our form around.

The foundations are already there for example.

The major overhaul was undertaken last Summer, we're already a year into it, we just need to keep tweaking the squad every TW to see progression.

In 2-3 years there will be other needs.

It never ends with squad building.

We aren’t getting all that done this summer but the following are vital imo:

8/10
WF
CF

Ange maybe sees LCB as a priority too.

I’d start Skipp again at LB and see if he’s willing to adjust full time.

Anything else we can get in the summer and January is great.

Our building out from the back yesterday was some of the best we've had in a few months. We beat their press so many times (tbf, Romero did give the ball away a couple of times). Unfortunately, once we beat their press and got the ball to our forwards, that's when the problems started. They created nothing and gave the ball away cheaply for a Liverpool counter-attack.

We did do much better when Richy came on, Son moved to the left and Johnson to the right. However, this also highlights how inconsistent our forwards are. These 3 played much better today yet they were exactly the same frontline responsible for our horrible outing against Chelsea.

Was nice to see Skippy playing as a LB and doing well, has definitely earned himself atleast a start against Burnley. Biss was our best midfielder and actually impressed me yesterday. He had some decent passes and some good dribbles to beat their press. He's been decent these last few games but has gone under the radar a bit and has been made a scapegoat for our season. Bentancur and Sarr were mid, they did well to beat their press but didn't really create anything although the blame for that majorly lies on the forwards. That said, the defensive cover our midfield provides is atrocious.

We have a lot of potential and a good foundation. We need better personnel to make our gameplan work.
Thanks for this, it's been all doom and gloom recently (albeit with good reason), need a little bit of perspective.

Back
Top Bottom