The Non-attending Fan

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I like this love in, but let's remember there are appalling fans too - both at the ground, in random pubs, and on the Internet. I've had the misfortune to meet both types, as you probably all have.

if you gave me a weekly wage that can afford match and a job that did not clash with any matches including week days ones then yes i would always be at tottenham on the weekend but working at wetherspoons i spend most my weekends working and mostly always work midweek too so barly get a chance to go tottenham unless i book it off as holiday or just have the luck of having a day off that day
I once had a job like that.

I thought, it will be fine. I can book days off for important games, swap shifts with people, pull the odd sickie etc.

It was hell. I hated going to work and seeing people who were clearly on their way to Spurs. It was a really funny feeling. I had my ST and was trying to go to away games as well. I ended up getting in trouble for refusing my dates on the rota, and constantly asking to change shifts. I lasted about 3 months and vowed never to take a job which features weekend work ever again.

Perhaps you have to feel that they are moaning because if they could afford to go or if they could be there because circumstance allows they know they would be making the very most of it. They perhaps feel that other fans who get to go see Spurs every other week start to take it for granted?
Whilst I have a large amount of sympathy with the idea that we should be creating more of an atmosphere, it's easy to say that when you only get to go rarely, because it's new and exciting when they do go. When that same fan has been going home and away for 20 or 30 years then they will probably understand that it's natural to take it for granted, to lose some of the excitement and to become a bit cynical at times. Human nature, I think.

At the same time I do feel lucky that I have been able to watch Spurs a lot, and I do still get a buzz from it.

I think there's nothing quite like going to WHL and I count myself as being lucky enough to have stood on the shelf for my first experience with Spurs.

'What a proper fan is? ' is subjective, because if you are going to the lane 20 times a season the likelihood is that you're making some sacrifice for something else and that's in terms of time, money or both.

But then you also have fans who get up at 2 in the morning just to watch Spurs. Some fantastic fan groups who deserve to be considered as proper fans too.

I look at what I do, it's usually about 10 games a season and I've been on the waiting list for 7 years, now facing the mixed blessing that I can get a season ticket at Wembley, when all along I wanted one at the lane... But it's still Spurs and it's finally a chance to see a whole season, just at a ground where we're not good at winning!

I digress, I think it gets silly trying to classify if there should be some form of hierarchy, because I think that it's down to mindsets and longevity, with Spurs I've always thought the club picks you, in my case it has fed my masochistic streak far too many times to call it a healthy relationship!

Went a lot of the time between 1970 & 93 but it was easy then. I decided wanted to go and see a particular match and went and queued up and paid on the day. Full seating killed it for me combined with the decline in our performances in the 1990's and reduced capacity made it difficult if not impossible to get a ticket. I will not buy a ticket to watch a cup match that the reserves are playing when denied the opportunity to get anywhere near a NLD. Travelling is a pain and not having anyone to go with does not help. However I did go to a Wembley match this season and hope to go more when our capacity increases. However whilst I have wanted to go more over recent seasons it has not meant I do not live, dream and try and organise my life around being able to be able to watch on sky or stream as much as possible. I consider myself a true fan as would people that know me.

I once had a job like that.

I thought, it will be fine. I can book days off for important games, swap shifts with people, pull the odd sickie etc.

It was hell. I hated going to work and seeing people who were clearly on their way to Spurs. It was a really funny feeling. I had my ST and was trying to go to away games as well. I ended up getting in trouble for refusing my dates on the rota, and constantly asking to change shifts. I lasted about 3 months and vowed never to take a job which features weekend work ever again.

It's like that for me now, though i don't have a ST. Have to apply for games long before I know whether or not I'll actually be able to go, unless I want to pay through the nose on StubHub.

To me the definition of whether your a "real" fan or not is more of an internal thing than something that can be measured by how often you attend live games.

Unless u live reasonably close to the ground circumstance dictates how often you can physically be there.

Personally I make it to a handful of games each season (mix of home and away) and if I lived closer I'd certainly go to more.

If I was labelled a plastic fan I'd take real offence. I watch every second of every game every season whether it's Live, on a Stream or On the TV. There isn't a single day that passes that Spurs doesn't take up a portion of it. Be it checking player interviews, post match and pre match analysis or build up, listening to any Spurs podcast I can find (even the shit ones), discussing various topics in here and with mates etc etc.

Spurs are a massive part of my life and routine and have been for the past 25 odd years.

My definition of "true" or "plastic" is as follows:

True: You genuinely care and are effected both positively and negatively about everything Spurs. You eat sleep and drink it in whatever way ur circumstances allow.

Plastic: You watch Spurs when it's convenient. Ur not that fussed or effect if we lose. You're only interested when we're playing well.

I love Spurs with all my heart. Worked my ass off and saved up all my money and am studying abroad in London for the term because I know this will be the only time in my life I will be able to go to games. Haven't missed one game since I've been here and have no regrets. Made great friends with ST holders, experienced great away days and even endured the dogshit that is Thomas Cook trains.

Could care less to travel Europe or see and do other things. Once Monday hits the only thing on my mind is the upcoming match and finding a spare ticket. If ever presented the opportunity to work/live in the area I would do it in a heartbeat.

Additionally hats off to everyone who attended the FA youth cup beatdown at Chelsea while receiving no loyalty points, not only shows how passionate you are about the club but how much you love the game itself.

I agree with that ∆

I also think it's how other people view you as a person and what you stand for. Family and friends that know me, will understand to wind me up or set me off will say something derogatory about Spurs, lol, that's it i am off!

I am never nasty with it but i have taken a lot of people by surprise over the years that when Spurs are mentioned and i go from my usual horizontal laid back position to a ranting lunatic!

My old rugby coach shouted at me during a match that Spurs were losing to Woolwich , others questioned him shouting this and his reply was that he wanted me more fired up and agressive, it worked! And spurs beat em , 2-1, it was a mid week game!!

But mind if you have supported them over the last twenty years or so,you've given them more than they've given you! Even if it is only a keyring from the shop.

Being in the US and not having the disposable income to bring the family on a trip to London, I haven't been able to attend a game. Assuming all things line up I will be going to the Roma game this summer which, even though it is only a pre-season match, will be great. I have a drawer full of Spurs t-shirts, a Spurs keyring, a couple of the UA training pullovers, my 3 youngest and I all have player shirts and I even was lucky enough to win one of the auctions for the Get Well Soon Ryan warmup shirts worn before the Wycombe game signed by the team. So yes I have "given" money to the team.

I can not however agree that the team has not given me anything.

One upside of living in the US is the fact that every game is available to watch on TV. Following Spurs has given me the entire range of emotions; joy, happiness, sadness, frustration... but it also allows me to spend time with and bond with my daughters over something we both love.

When you are a fan who just watches on TV, you love the players, the manager and winning.

When you are a fan that goes week in week out, you love the above, but also love the stadium, the area, the pubs, the songs, those you go with, the journey.. I could go on. You have more of a sense of belonging and that's what makes me come back.

Being in the US and not having the disposable income to bring the family on a trip to London, I haven't been able to attend a game. Assuming all things line up I will be going to the Roma game this summer which, even though it is only a pre-season match, will be great. I have a drawer full of Spurs t-shirts, a Spurs keyring, a couple of the UA training pullovers, my 3 youngest and I all have player shirts and I even was lucky enough to win one of the auctions for the Get Well Soon Ryan warmup shirts worn before the Wycombe game signed by the team. So yes I have "given" money to the team.

I can not however agree that the team has not given me anything.

One upside of living in the US is the fact that every game is available to watch on TV. Following Spurs has given me the entire range of emotions; joy, happiness, sadness, frustration... but it also allows me to spend time with and bond with my daughters over something we both love.
Meant having not given us anything in terms of success,cups,leagues etc! Which nobody can argue with! But Tottenham more than make up for it in many other ways as you mentioned I know how it works that's part of the deal and wouldn't change a minuet of the last twenty years of supporting them even being offered chavs or citae success in its place, being replaced with a business,business plan or face less owners and having money grabbing mercenaries poncing about on a Saturday,Sunday or whenever kissing the badge pretending to care! Give me the ups and downs of being a Tottenham Hotspur fan any day of the week.

I think its very cruel to say not attending a match doesnt make you a true fan, especially in recent years where the working man has been priced out of getting tickets, also add on top the small capacity of WHL, which far exceeds our fanbase, meaning it is impossible for every true Spurs fan to get a ticket

Back
Top Bottom