The Next Great Era (?) - what do you want to see?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Fair enough.

Whether we press or counter attack, I want to see some fast, athletic players that can unsettle the opposition. Obviously we get technical quality in there as well, but I think back to having Bale, Modric and Lennon as an example of pace and technique combined through the midfield and attack.

We have Harry now, if we can convince him to stay, build our attack around his qualities, which lay as a number ten that can also score a fuck ton of goals. If Mourinho got one thing right, it was that with Kane and Son running off him. Kane could play as a 9/10 hybrid, with 2 lightening fast attackers wide of him and coming in off the wing to score (think Salah and Mane at peak Liverpool).

A Modric or Dembele type in midfield who can get on the ball, turn and go forward with it and open up space.

Athletic defenders who allow us to push up as a team if we want to.

Classic Klopp, heavy metal football with pace that terrorises teams is something along the lines of what I'd like to see. We are easy to play against, I want to give teams a hard fucking time every time we play.
Son and Kane aren't exactly Mane and Firmino when it comes to pressing.

I think its fair to say 90% of us on here want new owners but its highly unlikley to happen - so what can be done with this lot to make Spurs 1) entertaining again and 2) mildly successful?

Ill add another one - treat the cups with respect

New CEO. Nothing else matters, Guardiola and Klopp wouldn’t win anything under Levy, and if we spent 600M like Chelsea it would be the same fruitless outcome

GET OUT

Doesn’t have to be a full sale, ENIC can retain their self funding strategy but absolutely needs new leadership. Stand down and sell your stake, or employ a CEO and take a completely passive role like Lewis

I'm of a similar mind as MemphisWill MemphisWill .

I want a clear identity for Spurs. Both on and off the field.

I want a focus on attacking football. It doesn't have to be entertaining tiki taka, a fierce direct attacking style can work as well depending on the manager. But Spurs should always look to play on the front foot.

We also need to go back to focusing on recruiting young, hungry players that come here to grow into stars (TBF to Paratici and Gabannini, that seems to be the recruitment MO already), and sprinkle in some key veteran signings. We also need to get more out of the academy.

In short, we need to abandon this idea that we can be a Real Madrid style club and go back to being a English Dortmund/Leipzig equivalent. Playing good football and developing young stars. And hopefully we can combine that with winning some cups or maybe a EL or ECL if we end up in it. The last sentence is the cynic in me speaking since realistically winning the league or CL will be very hard given the money at the top of the PL. We definitely have the money to at least be competitive. We just need to be smarter and maybe find a bit of a cup mindset to get the silverware.

There's no reason that top 4 participation and cup titles cannot be combined if we are savvy enough.

Owners that prioritise football , competitive, challenging for honours and flowing football with clubs historic DNA.

just to out of this relentless dark age discord .

I'm of a similar mind as MemphisWill MemphisWill .

I want a clear identity for Spurs. Both on and off the field.

I want a focus on attacking football. It doesn't have to be entertaining tiki taka, a fierce direct attacking style can work as well depending on the manager. But Spurs should always look to play on the front foot.

We also need to go back to focusing on recruiting young, hungry players that come here to grow into stars (TBF to Paratici and Gabannini, that seems to be the recruitment MO already), and sprinkle in some key veteran signings. We also need to get more out of the academy.

In short, we need to abandon this idea that we can be a Real Madrid style club and go back to being a English Dortmund/Leipzig equivalent. Playing good football and developing young stars. And hopefully we can combine that with winning some cups or maybe a EL or ECL if we end up in it. The last sentence is the cynic in me speaking since realistically winning the league or CL will be very hard given the money at the top of the PL. We definitely have the money to at least be competitive. We just need to be smarter and maybe find a bit of a cup mindset to get the silverware.

There's no reason that top 4 participation and cup titles cannot be combined if we are savvy enough.
Yeah, this thread has already twisted into a "new owners/bash Levy" exercise again. We can't force him to sell. We can coerce him into sacking the manager and finding someone we appreciate more.

Just want the football not to be fucking dreadful again. That's 100% at the manager's feet - Conte has brought terrible football to Spurs and won fuck all, just like Mourinho and Nuno in his brief stay. And yes, I'm fully aware there's a post on here from me somewhere where I said I didn't care I just wanted to win something. In retrospect, I was wrong.

I'd be happy to run back 2008-13 indefinitely as a bottom of the top 6 club scraping 4th occasionally and trying to win a cup. Just make it entertaining again...that's the entire fucking point of the sport.

ENIC OUT!
Shocked Oh No GIF by Yêu Lu

Consistent investment in the side. 100 million every window minimum.
Commitment to buying and scouting good young British and Irish footballers. A regular pathway to the first team. A lowering of the squads average age. A ruthless cull of the clubs leadership group. Oliver Skipp made captain. The sale of in order of priority:Loris, Dier, Perisic, Sessingnon,Sanchez.

The cool headed consideration of the sale of Kane and Romero. The removal of Paratici the appointment of Michael Edwards as D.O.F the employment of Marcel Gallardo as head coach.

A full acceptance of the sporting heritage of the club as an attacking progressive one with the coaching staff fully committed to our identity.

The full take over or minority change in ENIC as sole owner. With a new chairmen/executive officer to replace Daniel Levy who can no longer have any operational involvement.

Last edited:
Rather than just name names etc (although there may be a little of that in this thread, such is the nature of football) I just thought i'd list a number of things id like to see the next manager do.... or even the current manager, not that he's staying... and not that he would...

1. Stop constant short goal kicks. It gets us (and most teams) nowhere except trouble, or playing it back to the keeper, which you'd get if you hit it longer anyway. Mix it up a bit.
  2. 4 at the back, please. 3 centre halves when you need to defend a lead in a cup game, or the last 5 against a seriously good side - other than that, please dont. The fans dont want it and the club isnt set up for it.
  3. Bring in an attacking midfielder. We lost Eriksen and Alli and didnt replace them. This is now painfully obvious to everyone.
  4. KEEP whatever we've learned on set pieces. One of the few improvements we've seen.
  5. Always have the sub keeper as home grown, even if they are from the yoof team. It makes no sense to use a non-HG slot for a player that will play 10 games (tops) a season
  6. No zonal marking. Doesnt work in England.
  7. Give chances to the yoof players if theres a gap in the squad. Dont just put a square peg into a round hole.
  8. (Player/position specific) Bring in a centre forward who can hold the ball up. Kane is going, and even if he isnt, we havent had that since Llorente left. If Richy is that man, use him more often.
Please add more to the list. Interested to see what people think...
Agree with all but #4. Our corner kicks always seem to target the man on the near post, flick it on the back post when Kane slots home. It's such a difficult low-probability move we shouldn't do it. It comes off maybe a couple of times a season but more often than not hits the first man in the chest. Kane should be banned from free kicks. If we can't get it over the wall properly we should look to pack the box and take indirect freekicks instead.

Mine are:

1. Chase every ball in midfield, don't let the opposition have the time to pass at their leisure.

2. For corners, pack the penalty spot and and outswinger cross (i.e. away from the keeper). It makes it impossible for the keeper to catch/punch, A packed box is mostly a 50-50 chance at getting a shot on goal and an outswinging corner is a lot easier to get power on the header whereas an inswinger you have to glance it in.

3. If no one is capable to winning the first ball, actively plan to win the second instead.

4. Use triangles. A old concept but if someone has a ball they should always have 2 people to pass to, so if someone has a ball, everyone constantly moves round. We always seem to rigidly hold our positions so when a player gets overwhelmed he has no one he can pass to and just loses it.

I'd like to see us appoint Marcelo Gallardo. Gem of a manager who will have the exact group of players we currently have perform above the sum of its parts and is not afraid to change formations and systems, but adapts them to the squad he has available and the opponent he has in front of him.

And he would be great at building team unity and developing younger players.

Lose the red sponsor....
...and make classic style, simple kits that don't look like cat sick!

I'm serious ... It's a start!

Lose the red sponsor....
...and make classic style, simple kits that don't look like cat sick!

I'm serious ... It's a start!
Bonkers as it seems at first glance, I’m with you on this. No day glo yellow shit either. The red bollocks has to go.

Levy can also stop flogging our Latin motto, Bill Nick’s and Danny B’s quotes off too. Yes, the game is about Glory and yes, to dare is to do but a) we have shown none of this for 4 yrs and b) it isn’t theirs to hawk off on t-shirts and mugs.

I think its fair to say 90% of us on here want new owners but its highly unlikley to happen - so what can be done with this lot to make Spurs 1) entertaining again and 2) mildly successful?

Ill add another one - treat the cups with respect
I certainly agree about treating the cups with respect but im also all for bringing in younger players (no more than 4 in the starting 11) depending on opposition whilst still keeping a solid core to the team this will give them minutes and a possible pathway to first team continuity if they impress which can only be a good thing going forward

I'm a reasonable man so won't ask for much........

Less income and lots more spending regardless pls. :)

.......Oh; and shut the stadium for 3 months and leave it to lie dormant every summer. It's disgusting that we should use it for anything else when the lads aren't playing kick-ball.
To be fair, I don't think anyone has any real beef with the stadium being used for other events.

A lot of fans do take issue though with. A) Levy's clear and obvious determination to prioritise these other events over the football club / team that has allowed him to facilitate them and B) The lack of expected investment in and progress of the football team off the back of these events.

We are supposed to be a football club first and foremost. Aren't we?

Back
Top Bottom