The Next Great Era (?) - what do you want to see?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rather than just name names etc (although there may be a little of that in this thread, such is the nature of football) I just thought i'd list a number of things id like to see the next manager do.... or even the current manager, not that he's staying... and not that he would...

1. Stop constant short goal kicks. It gets us (and most teams) nowhere except trouble, or playing it back to the keeper, which you'd get if you hit it longer anyway. Mix it up a bit.
  2. 4 at the back, please. 3 centre halves when you need to defend a lead in a cup game, or the last 5 against a seriously good side - other than that, please dont. The fans dont want it and the club isnt set up for it.
  3. Bring in an attacking midfielder. We lost Eriksen and Alli and didnt replace them. This is now painfully obvious to everyone.
  4. KEEP whatever we've learned on set pieces. One of the few improvements we've seen.
  5. Always have the sub keeper as home grown, even if they are from the yoof team. It makes no sense to use a non-HG slot for a player that will play 10 games (tops) a season
  6. No zonal marking. Doesnt work in England.
  7. Give chances to the yoof players if theres a gap in the squad. Dont just put a square peg into a round hole.
  8. (Player/position specific) Bring in a centre forward who can hold the ball up. Kane is going, and even if he isnt, we havent had that since Llorente left. If Richy is that man, use him more often.
Please add more to the list. Interested to see what people think...

New owners, no more of the same players that have failed here for years (I don't mean players who havent won, I mean players who fail at the basics of their job for manager after manager).

Unless that happens, it hardly matters who the new coach is, you could get Klopp here and ask him to work with Davies, Sanchez etc and it'd go to shit.

New owners, no more of the same players that have failed here for years (I don't mean players who havent won, I mean players who fail at the basics of their job for manager after manager).

Unless that happens, it hardly matters who the new coach is, you could get Klopp here and ask him to work with Davies, Sanchez etc and it'd go to shit.
Agree pretty much totally but my question is more around style than personnel (or the owners who i certainly wish would fuck off as thats why we've had three managers in a row under their watch who do not fit the club at all, and then havent backed them anyway)

Agree pretty much totally but my question is more around style than personnel (or the owners who i certainly wish would fuck off as thats why we've had three managers in a row under their watch who do not fit the club at all, and then havent backed them anyway)

Fair enough.

Whether we press or counter attack, I want to see some fast, athletic players that can unsettle the opposition. Obviously we get technical quality in there as well, but I think back to having Bale, Modric and Lennon as an example of pace and technique combined through the midfield and attack.

We have Harry now, if we can convince him to stay, build our attack around his qualities, which lay as a number ten that can also score a fuck ton of goals. If Mourinho got one thing right, it was that with Kane and Son running off him. Kane could play as a 9/10 hybrid, with 2 lightening fast attackers wide of him and coming in off the wing to score (think Salah and Mane at peak Liverpool).

A Modric or Dembele type in midfield who can get on the ball, turn and go forward with it and open up space.

Athletic defenders who allow us to push up as a team if we want to.

Classic Klopp, heavy metal football with pace that terrorises teams is something along the lines of what I'd like to see. We are easy to play against, I want to give teams a hard fucking time every time we play.

Continuity in the footballing identity and philosophy of the club, above all else. Hard to blood academy players, or buy high potential youngsters, when you have no fucking clue how you'll be playing in 16 months.

Do that and make that identity something with some attacking drive and ambition and I'm happy, whether we're 1st or 7th.

I just don't enjoy Spurs anymore. It was more fucking fun a decade ago when we were total fucking chancers.

Continuity in the footballing identity and philosophy of the club, above all else. Hard to blood academy players, or buy high potential youngsters, when you have no fucking clue how you'll be playing in 16 months.

Do that and make that identity something with some attacking drive and ambition and I'm happy, whether we're 1st or 7th.

I just don't enjoy Spurs anymore. It was more fucking fun a decade ago when we were total fucking chancers.
It’s time we accept that this just simply won’t happen under our current owners.

They have absolutely no idea what direction they want this club to go, what philosophy they want to engage in. They’ve been here 20 years now and theyve flip flopped from an up and coming coach, old savvy coach, past hero player coach, coaches that have won it all in the past, current world class coach, coaches that play attacking football, coaches that play reactive counter attacking football.

Then you have the Director of Football shambles. We’ve had Directors of Football, Sporting Directors. DOFs with an attacking philosophy, DOFs that sign young talent, DOFs that sign a bit of both.

Daniel Levy is forever and a day preaching about “The Tottenham way” and playing “free flowing attacking football” but the guy hasn’t a clue what he’s talking about. There’s hasn’t been an on field vision from ENIC in 20 years and one isn’t going to magically appear.
The vision from ENIC has and always will be, how can we keep making as much revenue as possible by plodding along and continuing to trick the fans into thinking we actually care about what happens on the pitch.

First things first we need a new board who are adept enough to be able to negotiate a higher number of bookings for performances within a year, the current lot have shown they're incapable of maximising the number of concerts the stadium can host. Also why hasn't Son managed to get Blackpink to come to our stadium? His legs maybe gone but his brain should still be utilised for the remainder of his contract.

Also I know we got some Karting sponsorship deal going but we should also look to host some WWE events, maybe get John Cena and the lads down twice a year.

In conclusion;

Raise the limit on how many concerts we can host.

Look into a possible relationship with the WWE

Use Son's huge popularity in his homeland to get Blackpink to come do a show at our stadium

First things first we need a new board who are adept enough to be able to negotiate a higher number of bookings for performances within a year, the current lot have shown they're incapable of maximising the number of concerts the stadium can host. Also why hasn't Son managed to get Blackpink to come to our stadium? His legs maybe gone but his brain should still be utilised for the remainder of his contract.

Also I know we got some Karting sponsorship deal going but we should also look to host some WWE events, maybe get John Cena and the lads down twice a year.

In conclusion;

Raise the limit on how many concerts we can host.

Look into a possible relationship with the WWE

Use Son's huge popularity in his homeland to get Blackpink to come do a show at our stadium
Absolutely love this post, thank you Mr Levy, you've kept your identity quiet on here for some time you cheeky scoundrel but the veil has dropped now

I'm a reasonable man so won't ask for much........

Less income and lots more spending regardless pls. :)

.......Oh; and shut the stadium for 3 months and leave it to lie dormant every summer. It's disgusting that we should use it for anything else when the lads aren't playing kick-ball.

It’s time we accept that this just simply won’t happen under our current owners.

They have absolutely no idea what direction they want this club to go, what philosophy they want to engage in. They’ve been here 20 years now and theyve flip flopped from an up and coming coach, old savvy coach, past hero player coach, coaches that have won it all in the past, current world class coach, coaches that play attacking football, coaches that play reactive counter attacking football.

Then you have the Director of Football shambles. We’ve had Directors of Football, Sporting Directors. DOFs with an attacking philosophy, DOFs that sign young talent, DOFs that sign a bit of both.

Daniel Levy is forever and a day preaching about “The Tottenham way” and playing “free flowing attacking football” but the guy hasn’t a clue what he’s talking about. There’s hasn’t been an on field vision from ENIC in 20 years and one isn’t going to magically appear.
The vision from ENIC has and always will be, how can we keep making as much revenue as possible by plodding along and continuing to trick the fans into thinking we actually care about what happens on the pitch.
I don't have the energy to complain or argue about Levy anymore. I don't give a fuck who owns the club. I don't give a fuck if we're in the Champions League, or the Europa League, or the Super League, or the fucking National League. I just want to watch football that doesn't make me want to stab out my eyes. Could care less if we win anything or not, sign anyone or not. Spurs are dreadful to watch most times out, and haven't brought me a drop of joy in fucking ages.

I just want to see creative attacking football when possible, and committed defense when playing tough opposition. And if you can't buy a winner, be serious about trying to grow a winner.

Back
Top Bottom