The New Stadium, a Good or Bad Thing

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think the point about Birmingham is that if a club is called "Birmingham City", then they have free reign to have their stadium anywhere in the city. Much like a "London FC" would be at home all around London (which is something, iirc, Leyton Orient would try to do if they drop the "Leyton").

So I think John Thomas John Thomas has in mind that there's a specific connection to North London (signaled in the name), but that it's no longer practical to actually have a stadium in Tottenham.

Thank you. Thats pretty much what I`m trying to say. I don`t think we should be *compelled* to build the stadium in Tottenham. Had we actually tried to build the stadium in a more convenient location, with better transport links and less aggressive local authority, we`d probably be playing in it by now. And to answer someone elses question RE stratford/wembley. Yes, I would have actually supported a move to stratford (cue another load of neg reps or whatever.) a) It would have seen us grow as a club without breaking the bank and b) I fucking hate West Ham and didnt want to see them get it. Wembley, no. Thats the national stadium and should only be used by England and for cup finals. Although I would accept a temporary move there while the new stadium was being built if it suited the club financially. Those of you who support the idea that we must stay in Tottenham, which seems to be the majority, well, everyone apart from me actually, what year do you actually expect us to start playing in a stadium that holds more than Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday. According to Levy in 2008 it was this year wasnt it ?

Nah I get the comparison's intent, but it's inaccurate IMO. Birmingham City - its in the name. We could never be a London FC because the two situations are dissimilar, and London is too big for that with too many teams occupying it.

Move to Stratford and become exactly what most of us hate about the filth.

So, moving away from Tottenham, I could see it working in Edmonton or Enfield, since they're "our" areas anyway, but if you have no problem with moving to East London or north of the M25, then where do you draw the line? Why not South London or Surrey? I don't understand why you aren't bothered by geographical ties until a certain border is hit - and/or I don't know what that border is, for you?

Thank you. Thats pretty much what I`m trying to say. I don`t think we should be *compelled* to build the stadium in Tottenham. Had we actually tried to build the stadium in a more convenient location, with better transport links and less aggressive local authority, we`d probably be playing in it by now. And to answer someone elses question RE stratford/wembley. Yes, I would have actually supported a move to stratford (cue another load of neg reps or whatever.) a) It would have seen us grow as a club without breaking the bank and b) I fucking hate West Ham and didnt want to see them get it. Wembley, no. Thats the national stadium and should only be used by England and for cup finals. Although I would accept a temporary move there while the new stadium was being built if it suited the club financially. Those of you who support the idea that we must stay in Tottenham, which seems to be the majority, well, everyone apart from me actually, what year do you actually expect us to start playing in a stadium that holds more than Sunderland and Sheffield Wednesday. According to Levy in 2008 it was this year wasnt it ?

How could you be happy with a move to Stratford???.Wembley i could condone as its still classed as north london,but Stratford east london...not a chance.
It's not necessarily a necessity that we stay in Tottenham but we MUST stay in north london,whether it be wembley,Enfield or Edmonton!

Ok, answering the question in title of this post and ignoring the other crap:
I think if we want to be a top side with a chance of progressing and ultimately winning something then yes we do need a new stadium so it's a good thing.

It does make a difference to signing some players. Depends on the type though, some are money grabbing, some consider other factors too. tCan't hurt though.

Making it a good business decision means careful planning and the shops and other stuff are a very big plus for this project IMO. You have to macimise revenue from that sort of stuff cause stadiums cost so much money! Good planning can maximise the chance of the stadium having a good atmosphere. It's hard to build a big stadium with a good feel - maybe the capacity being less than Arse and others will help in that regard, I don't know. I like the look of the single terrace stand with the steep angle, personally.

Being a London team we should be able to sell out 56,000 I think. Regularly.

The development of the wider area is a good thing and significant redevelopments can change an area. It has its issues but its not insurmountable and not everyone is the same just because of their postcode.

For me, the new stadium and development is essential from a point of view of future stability and progress.

I don't envy the people who have to go through the process of trying to get a football stadium built, but it depresses me that it is still years off until we actually move in. What's the current projected date?

I don't want to leave WHL, but it's the only option.

In the long run it will be a good thing, but I'm not looking looking forward to the next 10+ years of having to sell our best players every season to pay off the debts from the stadium.

Another thing that worries me is the thought of us being mediocre and playing in front of 15,000 empty seats. Woolwich can't even fill the Emirates most weeks these days, and lets face it, they have a bigger fanbase than we do.

The ground and surrounding areas are looking tatty and there won't be any refurbishment if the new ground is going ahead any time soon. But a first class team needs a first class stadium.
Assume we are going back to the original plan where the current Paxton becomes the new Park Lane and that bit of the work can be done last and during the close season, so there won't be massive disruption.
I make no apologies for being a traditionalist and we should never sell out by moving out of Tottenham. Imagine the devastation to local businesses if we did - every pub, eaterie and small shop would probably go out of business in days.
We would probably sell out 50,000 on big games. We may even increase our average gate for the 'smaller' games if we make seats more affordable. There must be people out there who are not members who don't even bother trying to get tickets as we do tend to sell out quickly.
Of course the funds used in building the new stadium will eat into any money we need for new players but we may have to swallow that for a period of time, let's hope that it doesn't put us back to the dark days of fighting relegation and crappy players.

How much is our stadium likely to cost? £250-400M?
At least when we do sell Bale (hopefully not for a while) that'll pay for one of the stands...
It's tricky cause you want to pay it off quick but at the same time remain competitive. We really need CL money regularly in order to do that I think. Such an important season ahead in that regard.

Just had a thought regarding the area.
As we know, it's basically dead on non match days in terms of money being spent by people not local to the area surrounding the stadium.
25 or so days a year 36000 people descend and buy their drinks, kebabs, car parking etc.
The rest of the time I wouldn't dream of setting foot there unless I absolutely had to. (Or for a stadium your etc.)

What do people think of potentially getting a group of spurs fans together to co-ordinate off season events in Tottenham designed to help local businesses and show our support for the area, as it is synonymous with the club.
Loads of people didn't want us to move to Stratford seemingly 'just because' or for fear of being labelled nomads like the gooners.
I'd wager most of these same people care very little for the well being of the local residents.

Could potentially be a further push to any powers that be to forge ahead with the stadium.
Or just a way to reconnect the life blood of
The club - aka the fans- with the people who actually live in Tottenham. It's already been
Noted how a lot of the locals actually support Woolwich or just cant afford to go to games that are
Being played on their doorstep. Maybe if they saw more than just a few Spurs in the Community club-led project, saw the regular match goers trying to assimilate with them, it would be best for all parties?

What do people think of potentially getting a group of spurs fans together to co-ordinate off season events in Tottenham designed to help local businesses and show our support for the area, as it is synonymous with the club.
No thanks. Don't want to be stabbed. Sergei Rebrov told me there were lots of dark skinned people around there. :avbnaa:

I'd love it if Hewlett Packard are sponsoring the new Stadium.... The irony that we could be saddled with a mountain of debt, whilst playing somewhere called the HP STADIUM is something you simply couldn't make up....

#beyondspursy!

Back
Top Bottom