The latest on the potential 5th CL spot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

If we miss the CL, I'd like for us to look at the EL as our primary route of CL qualification next year. Fuck shooting for 4th/5th. Just win the EL - ends the trophy drought and gets us the CL. Treat every EL match with that importance.

The EL is way too strong these days to take a "just win the EL!" approach. You obviously try to win it but we wouldn't be favourites against a Leverkusen.

Completely agree with you. If we can't finish top four, we don't deserve CL. Europa league would be our level at that moment, and nothing wrong with that, as much as I can't wait to see us back in the CL.
Really irks me when fans discard the Europa League, as if it’s beneath us.

Would be incredible to win it.

Really irks me when fans discard the Europa League, as if it’s beneath us.

Would be incredible to win it.
I've been highly dismissive of the EL in recent years, mainly because the inclusion of some absolutely rank teams from rank leagues has been an utter detrimental drain in the Group stages of the competition, not sure how anyone can get up for playing a team called carry bag and watching them play on a school football pitch in outer Mongolia in front of 5k fans can be sold as good Thursday night viewing (even our own attendance figures at old WHL were less than half full against such fodder, made for some appalling atmospheres with only 1882 voices to full back on).

BUT..............

Since the arrival of the Conference thingy a lot of those teams now end up playing here as well (I still genuinely believe that teams from the PL and a cut-off in the other top 4 European Leagues shouldn't be allowed to compete in it as they dwarf the small teams in financial power make it a farce e.g. David Moyes wages were greater than many of the team's annual revenue that competed in the ECL!!! That's a fucking ridiculous!!). So as a consequence, the Europa League has regained some of it's kudos IMO, maybe this is also due to some old European big clubs going through struggles in recent seasons like Milan and Inter, BVB, OL, Lyon, Villa Real, Sevilla, Roma, Benfica, Marseille, Ajax (PSV, Feynord have always been strong in Europe and in reality like Ajax will never really compete in CL due to finances) there are probably a further 10 I guess I could include. In addition, there are Clubs that are up and coming who are or will be strong performers given their newfound financial standing and the style of football they are playing like Brighton, Villa, Newcastle, Sporting, Gent, Brugge, Rennes, Gerona, Atalanta etc

Even the Group Stages are now decent match-up of teams and the one crappy team in your group becomes a challenge and a must-win in order to qualify with the away leg a genuine banana skin that must be avoided a bit of jeopardy is thrown into the mix.

It's also still the most beautiful-looking trophy to adorn any trophy cabinet.

And another team having a very strong season who are on the rise will take their place. The EL now always has a handful of extremely strong side. This season Liverpool are in there as well, we would be third favourites at best.
It's really no stronger than it ever has been. It's never been a "just show up and win" affair, the problem has only ever been that foolish English clubs have always viewed it as a shit competition, ironically while pretending that the League Cup, which they basically play in for free, is a worthwhile endeavor. Tottenham supporters, in particular, I think underrate the EL because of collective PTSD from years of "Thursday night on ITV" taunts.

The last 3 finals have been:

Sevilla v Roma
Frankfurt v Rangers
Villarreal v United

We would have been favourites in a final against any of those 6. It's a trophy we should have won multiple times in the past 20 years, and a fair target for us. I'd rather finish 7th next season because we were trying to win something than try to squeak 4th for the 15th year running.

Back
Top Bottom