The latest on the potential 5th CL spot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I guess. But if Liverpool get knocked out, leverkusen beat wham and Bayern beat Woolwich then it looks a bit more dodgy

Man City and Villa winning their competitions should ideally be enough. If City and Bayern get through, they meet eachother. City knocking Bayern out would probably confirm it.

The best scenario for the second leg, would be if Liverpool and Westham win by a single goal margin. They will both be knocked out of the comp but the wins will help with the coefficients for the PL clubs.

I’m not sure if you all know how points are calculated in the knock out rounds?

The way I read it.
Villa get nothing this round.
The others have all been given the points already just for getting to this round.

Whether you win or lose doesn’t matter at this point. Happy to be corrected but this is from the UEFA website.

The season association club coefficient are based on points obtained by all its clubs in a given season in the UEFA Champions League (UCL), UEFA Europa League (UEL) and UEFA Europa Conference League (UECL).

Points are awarded as follows:

2 – All wins from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All wins in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All draws from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
0.5 – All draws in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Round of 16 bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group runners-up (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)
1 – Group runners-up (UECL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the round of 16 (UCL, UEL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals (UECL)

What if Woolwich win the CL but lose the rest of their EPL games and finish 5th?

They get CL for winning it.

England could have potentially had 7 teams in CL next season..

But it'd required the team who won the CL to finish outside the top 5, England getting top 2 in the coefficients and the Europa League winners being an English team finishing outside the top five also.

They get CL for winning it.

England could have potentially had 7 teams in CL next season..

But it'd required the team who won the CL to finish outside the top 5, England getting top 2 in the coefficients and the Europa League winners being an English team finishing outside the top five also.

I don’t think it works that way. If an EPL team win the EL then we get one additional team in the CL. The CL winner does not automatically qualify, I think. But there is a maximum in any case. Cant see more than 5 qualifying.

I’m not sure if you all know how points are calculated in the knock out rounds?

The way I read it.
Villa get nothing this round.
The others have all been given the points already just for getting to this round.

Whether you win or lose doesn’t matter at this point. Happy to be corrected but this is from the UEFA website.

The season association club coefficient are based on points obtained by all its clubs in a given season in the UEFA Champions League (UCL), UEFA Europa League (UEL) and UEFA Europa Conference League (UECL).

Points are awarded as follows:

2 – All wins from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All wins in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
1 – All draws from group stage (UCL, UEL, UECL)
0.5 – All draws in qualifying and play-off matches (UCL, UEL, UECL)
4 – Group stage bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Round of 16 bonus participation (UCL)
4 – Group winners (UEL)
2 – Group runners-up (UEL)
2 – Group winners (UECL)
1 – Group runners-up (UECL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the round of 16 (UCL, UEL)
1 – Each round clubs reach from the semi-finals (UECL)

Also bonus points in Q/F

Champions League bonus points
4 - Group stage participation
5 - Round of 16
1 - QF, SF, final

Europa League bonus points
4 - Group winners
2 - Group runners-up
1 - Round of 16, QF, SF, final

I don’t think it works that way. If an EPL team win the EL then we get one additional team in the CL. The CL winner does not automatically qualify, I think. But there is a maximum in any case. Cant see more than 5 qualifying.
There's only additional places for EL and CL winners if they don't qualify for CL through the domestic league. If the EL or CL winners were in the top 4/5, there wouldn't be an additional team in CL. It's no longer limited to 5 teams with the new system, it would be possible to have 7 but quite unlikely this season.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but I don’t think we should be in the CL if we finish 5th. It’s naff.

Just go and get 4th.

Completely agree with you. If we can't finish top four, we don't deserve CL. Europa league would be our level at that moment, and nothing wrong with that, as much as I can't wait to see us back in the CL.

Completely agree with you. If we can't finish top four, we don't deserve CL. Europa league would be our level at that moment, and nothing wrong with that, as much as I can't wait to see us back in the CL.
If we miss the CL, I'd like for us to look at the EL as our primary route of CL qualification next year. Fuck shooting for 4th/5th. Just win the EL - ends the trophy drought and gets us the CL. Treat every EL match with that importance.

Back
Top Bottom