The Impact of Covid on Spurs & Football

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What would you think of the league implementing a scaled punishment system for players that are caught breaking covid guidelines?

Let's say that for their first offence. Lamela, Lo Celso and Reguilon are banned for 3 games each. If one of them is then caught doing it a second time, that's a 6 match ban. And for any third time offenders you get a 3 month ban.

That would ensure the clubs keep their players in line I would think. Since they would not allow the players to jeopardize their results that way.
Yeah but I'd do a wages fine as well as match bans. They are being way too soft on the players. Many blatantly don't care & think they are above it all. Then people see this & think why should I bother. Especially young football fans. They need to be a lot tougher on them. I think if it continues we should suspend football anyway. It just isn't working.

So all this moaning about not having a single 90 minute period available between now and Christmas 2839 to make up a postponed game, yet we’ve now got 8 days before our B team take on Wycombe in the cup?

What am I missing?

So all this moaning about not having a single 90 minute period available between now and Christmas 2839 to make up a postponed game, yet we’ve now got 8 days before our B team take on Wycombe in the cup?

What am I missing?

It's not just about us, the other team needs to be available at the same time. Most other prem teams already have fixtures scheduled for midweek.

It's not just about us, the other team needs to be available at the same time. Most other prem teams already have fixtures scheduled for midweek.
Thanks.

To be honest I did think that was likely. Just didn’t bother checking.

Basically I’m upset that after a convincing win, in an incredibly congested season we have to wait 8 days to get back in the saddle.

Even so, it appears there are 5/6 teams without a midweek prem game this week. If it was that desperate I’m sure we could have made up a game with one of them. It’s not like they have to consider fans at the moment. In all honesty I would be fine with being told we had to play with anything more than 48 hours notice.

What am I missing?
I am sure we would be happy to play Villa in this gap, but they already have a game.

Thanks.

To be honest I did think that was likely. Just didn’t bother checking.

Basically I’m upset that after a convincing win, in an incredibly congested season we have to wait 8 days to get back in the saddle.

Even so, it appears there are 5/6 teams without a midweek prem game this week. If it was that desperate I’m sure we could have made up a game with one of them. It’s not like they have to consider fans at the moment. In all honesty I would be fine with being told we had to play with anything more than 48 hours notice.

It's irrelevant that 5/6 teams don't already has fixtures scheduled as none of them are the team we need to play. I may be wrong, but I think it's only Villa we've got to make up and they already play Man City this week.

I don't think we should be pushing to add a fixture in anyway, we've got a rare break so we should be letting the players have a little rest and using some time to plan ahead for the Liverpool game.

As fans it's easy to say we'd be fine with only 48 hours notice, but it's a bit different for the clubs. It wasn't as bad for the Fulham game as we already had a match scheduled, but the home side needs as much notice as possible to get the staff and stadium sorted out and ready to go. It's not just a case of turn up and switch on the lights in the top flight.

Football is going to be so fucked. From the athletic..........

The tip of the iceberg no doubt.

Only this month, we have learned that Woolwich borrowed £120 million from the Bank of England to ease their cash-flow concerns and that Leicester City and Sheffield United both borrowed undisclosed sums from the Australian bank Macquarie, secured against future Premier League broadcast payments.

Southampton also confirmed, via their 2019-20 accounts, they borrowed the best part of £80 million last summer to help them through this crisis. Their lender is MSD Holdings UK Limited, the British arm of computer billionaire Michael Dell's investment firm. Southampton's accounts also revealed that the going rate for MSD's money is just over nine per cent a year, plus fees.

Going back into 2020, Leicester registered two further charges (the security companies provide to lenders) at Companies House, both for loans from Macquarie. West Ham United did likewise for loans from Barclays. And then there was the £175 million Tottenham Hotspur took last summer from the same Bank of England crisis fund that Woolwich have now tapped into.

Despite all this we still rank 9th in Deloitte's money league. Down one spot from last year.

It will be interesting to see how this list will look next year after an entire season of no crowds more or less.

So the new "Bristol" strain of the virus is possibly immune to the vaccine and and able to bypass immunity.

That's not good if that one starts to spread.

This is why I am sceptical to the idea of there being fans allowed back into stadiums this year. This is far from over. We're going to be dealing with strains of this thing for most of the decade most likely.

How’s this gonna work with European games?

they will be keeping shops and pubs closed for months next......
Either the league season has to be extended. We get exemptions because of "work trips". Or we'll have to pull out of the Europa League.

My odds would be on the UK government banking on the first or third option. Or we have to more or less put together a pure Europa League squad and one pure domestic squad. Which just doesn't look doable.

Either the league season has to be extended. We get exemptions because of "work trips". Or we'll have to pull out of the Europa League.

My odds would be on the UK government banking on the first or third option. Or we have to more or less put together a pure Europa League squad and one pure domestic squad. Which just doesn't look doable.
Option 4 - pick one player from each team and resolve the round with a game of FIFA.

:allitongue:

Option 4 - pick one player from each team and resolve the round with a game of FIFA.

:allitongue:
I actually dared to venture into the Skysports article on this and it just looks like our players will have to live at the training ground for 10 days after travelling abroad. They get to train and play games, but not see other people.

Basically playing in Europe means entering a bubble.

I actually dared to venture into the Skysports article on this and it just looks like our players will have to live at the training ground for 10 days after travelling abroad. They get to train and play games, but not see other people.

Basically playing in Europe means entering a bubble.
That can’t be good for morale.
I couldn’t think of anything worse than not being able to go back to see your family and having to spend 10 days locked in with colleagues, then as you advance through the completion having to do it all over again.

Id start looking into my contract and speaking with my agent.

Back
Top Bottom