The Greatest Ever Spurs Team 2.0

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

That about sums up your post.
Recency bias.

VdV had two good seasons with us and Klinsmann half that. His best season was, arguably, his first at Monaco if not earlier but that’s tangential.

Tony Galvin, Chris Waddle and Steve Archibald were more successful and had greater longevity for Tottenham. Chris Hughton was our best left back since Knowles. Perryman and Mabbutt had far better Spurs careers than either Klinsmann or VdV.

You never said Eriksen was better than Ardiles but by considering that former for Spurs greatest team and not the latter, you heavily implied it.

Chivers scored more goals for Spurs than either Teddy or Defoe. Bobby Smith was better than all of them. Lineker and Clive Allen — one immortal season — arguably as good.

I doubt that Anderton, Defoe nor Sherringham would get near a Tottenham XI.

As soon as Spurs career and contribution comes into play (rather than how good player X was at their peak, however briefly), a LOT a modern names fall way down the pecking order....... Quickly rendering it the 51 & 61 mob + absolute goats.

I'd have to pick players from before my time based on reputation alone, their amazing career stats (Greaves) and the success they had with the club. Modric probably a better player and certainly more successful in his career overall than Danny Blanchflower for Tottenham, but the latter is a legendary part of the double-winning team. Hoddle is the favourite player of Spurs fans of my dad's era, I was only a little kid when he was at the end of his time with us. But I'd have to include him. Harry Kane, of the modern era, would have to go in because of his club record. Jennings is the most legendary keeper for us, though I never saw him play.

Perryman has the most appearances for us (I think) and has some trophies, captaincy and was, by all accounts, a very tidy player. Ledley for me is the best defender I have seen for us and was a one club man (yes I know, probably only because he was too injured to move away). But I'd have to include him. Bale is for me, the most exciting player I have seen in a Spurs shirt, I'd probably want to put him in the team just for that reason - a very Spurs reason to pick a player!

Roberts or Mabbutt have to be worth a mention. I'd probably pick a player like John White from the double-winning team just to get them more representation, plus according to wiki he played inside-right, so I can fill the hole on the right side of my team, which is left over after plonking the other players down in some semblance of a formation.

Still very hard to pick an XI.

Jennings

Perryman Roberts King

White Blanchflower Mackay Bale

Hoddle

Greaves Kane

I think that's a decent selection of our most talented, most successful and most 'Spurs' players in a combination that'd give any team a good game.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom