The Great Rebuild Summer 2023

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who would you sell? You can choose 6 players.

• Total voters
In fairness I'd take Ben Arfa 2.0. Would be quite fun.
Them players drive me nuts. Ben Arfa is/was crazy good technically, like unreal. Saw him live and up close on a few occasions, his first touch, his close control, the way he runs with the ball, his faints...man, that was special. Even physically he was much more robust than one would think at first glance. But he had shit for brains. The full bag of the brown stuff. Instead of playing for the likes of Hull, Valladolid and the weakest Bordeaux team ever, he should've been at Bayern, Real, City. Should've got 100 caps and 30 odd goals for France.

He and some others like him are blessed with mad talent and they just waste it. That pisses me off.

Them players drive me nuts. Ben Arfa is/was crazy good technically, like unreal. Saw him live and up close on a few occasions, his first touch, his close control, the way he runs with the ball, his faints...man, that was special. Even physically he was much more robust than one would think at first glance. But he had shit for brains. The full bag of the brown stuff. Instead of playing for the likes of Hull, Valladolid and the weakest Bordeaux team ever, he should've been at Bayern, Real, City. Should've got 100 caps and 30 odd goals for France.

He and some others like him are blessed with mad talent and they just waste it. That pisses me off.
I have a soft spot for players like that.

Not everyone is a cog that belongs in a machine.

I have a soft spot for players like that.

Not everyone is a cog that belongs in a machine.
I was talking to an African colleague about the legendary Jay Jay Okocha earlier. Brought such a smile to both our faces. I mean, we were almost drooling just reminiscing about some of his goals, mad assists, crazy as fuck tricks. The guy was pure joy. We definitely miss players like that in the modern game.

But the big difference between a Jay Jay and a Ben Arfa is their mentality. Gimme a Jay Jay - or obviously a Ginola (love you, David!) - any day over such little pricks.

You can be crazy talented, a real magician with the ball, and be a bit less adept when it comes to other aspects of the game, without being a shite wannabe gangsta

I was talking to an African colleague about the legendary Jay Jay Okocha earlier. Brought such a smile to both our faces. I mean, we were almost drooling just reminiscing about some of his goals, mad assists, crazy as fuck tricks. The guy was pure joy. We definitely miss players like that in the modern game.

But the big difference between a Jay Jay and a Ben Arfa is their mentality. Gimme a Jay Jay - or obviously a Ginola (love you, David!) - any day over such little pricks.

You can be crazy talented, a real magician with the ball, and be a bit less adept when it comes to other aspects of the game, without being a shite wannabe gangsta
And then even further down the bad side of the ledger you get someone like Dele who just doesn't seem to care about football anymore. Not sure he ever really did on some level.

But long may the creative impetuous maverick live in the game. We need to get Allan Saint Maximin on a newly promoted team so he can get let his freak flag fly again.

Disgusting post.

It's time to move on, obviously, but he deserves respect for his career with us. End of story.

As for you, I've more respect for the bit of gum I just stepped on, than I do for you and your shitty posts.

Do better, punk.
Yeah, I'm no Hugo fan boy - I called for the end of his captaincy and honestly wanted him gone after the drink driving - but he's been the mainstay during our best period in generations. He is one of the faces of this era, and one of the first who ushered it in. Deserves the hard earned respect that goes with that.

The biggest loss is paying their wages until their contract expires.
Surely "financial genius" Levy can figure that out?
It is, certainly, in the case on Belly. As hard as it is to stomach being conned, the most expedient route is to probably renegotiate his contract and convert 50-60% of his remaining salary into an up front payment which reduces his wage to a level someone may be willing to match to get him out the door with some sort of a fee attached to reduce the loss as much as possible.

Gives the club a likely 10 figure loss to either put into a single year or amortize over several years, whatever suits them best financially.

I actually struggle to pick 6 from this list - and I think this summarises the dilemma of this squad.

They are all good players, but as a group - there are only a couple of 'Elite' players. This means inevitably our starting 11 is always good - but not good enough.

We can't have a squad full of Messi's, but you do need some elite players in key positions.

We have an abundance of midfielders of quality - Holjberg, Bissouma, Benta, Skipp, Sarr, Ndombele, Lo Celso. All 7 out of 10 players. But we don't have that 1 10 out of 10 player that can make the difference. We don't have an Eriksen, Kane, Modric - a player of exceptional quality.
Spurs do have a Kane - Harry Kane that is.
Only Real Madrid (& Hrvatska) have a Modrić- and the reason why, at the ripe age of 37, Real M. wanna extend his contract (for another season).
But, yes, I do get your point though but Conte did not use a CAM which is probably why Spurs don't have one right now (unless you count Alfie Devine).

By that math, we paid 120 for him to contribute to Napoli.
According to Romano, Napoli are paying the ‘majority’ of N’Dombele’s salary. It could be 51/49 but Spurs are kicking in a significant sum. The loan fee was 800k.
The highest Napoli earner is reportedly Piotr Zielinski on €124,615 per week, Oshimen is on about €105 so you know that they’re not paying close to all of N’Dombele’s salary.

And then even further down the bad side of the ledger you get someone like Dele who just doesn't seem to care about football anymore. Not sure he ever really did on some level.

But long may the creative impetuous maverick live in the game. We need to get Allan Saint Maximin on a newly promoted team so he can get let his freak flag fly again.
To be honest, if Newcastle don't want him anymore and happy to let him go to a direct-ish rival and for little money (I know, big if) I'd take him.

Say we get Slot in as our new head coach, I can definitely see him turn a crazy dribbler like St Max into a player that actually contributes goals & assists on a fairly regular basis, even off the bench...heck, Arne may even get him to do the work on the other side of the ball (looking at you, Sonny).

He'd definitely be an upgrade on Moura regardless. And he already excites me more than a Kulusevski, who may be more technically accurate, but man is he slow and ponderous.

You bring ASM on in the last 15 mins, you know he's gonna try and make shit happen.

If Slot comes in I feel like this is a decent side with a nice amount of versatility:

GK: Raya (Forster)
RB: Emerson (Spence)
CB: Romero (Dier)
CB: Laporte (Lenglet)
LB: Udogie (Sessegnon)
DM: Bissouma (Skipp)
CM: Bentancur, Kokcu (Hojbjerg, Sarr)
RW: Kulusevski (Porro)
ST: Kane (Richarlison)
LW: Son (Perisic, Gil)

It ain’t going to have us challenging but at least there’s enough there to work with, using Porro and periodic further forward alleviates some of our depth concerns. Especially considering we probably won’t have European football to worry about. If we’re looking at spending any more than that I’d look for another LW but I doubt we would.

If Slot comes in I feel like this is a decent side with a nice amount of versatility:

It ain’t going to have us challenging but at least there’s enough there to work with, using Porro and periodic further forward alleviates some of our depth concerns. Especially considering we probably won’t have European football to worry about. If we’re looking at spending any more than that I’d look for another LW but I doubt we would.

If that is the squad to start next season, the transfer window has been a flop IMO.

Kokcu would be interesting but feel like Perisic will be gone, Lenglet not brought in and Porro will play RB for Slot.
Could see Royal getting sold even if I'm not sure that's a great plan. Slot seems to want full backs that can play as aux MFs in the build up. That's not Royal unless he is kept as a CB, which I would be into.
Laporte? reeaallly not sure that is what we need to do.

If Kulu plays 10, then we need a back up and a new RWF, if he stays RWF we need a back up for him and x10 10's....

Larry David Reaction GIF

We will never challenge with that team. If we have 1 player sent off we will be down to 9 men.

Back
Top Bottom