The Glory Game by Hunter Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The book is fantastic and the chapter about fans is still one of my favourites of any book ever. Another really poignant piece of prose is written about the dressing room at the beginning of the season; the knowledge that one of them will probably be injured so badly this season that his career will never recover and that others will be on their way before long...that sense of camaraderie and yet estrangement from men who you battle alongside in Lilywhite...beautifully written, sad and perfect - all at once.

I still haven't worked out for sure who it was that all the team hated, he alludes to it and over the years has refused to confess. I'm guessing its Mullery, from the other attributed comments.
A marvellous book for me as these guys were my hero's as I grew up.

Yep, read the book many years ago. Well worh reading for those Spurs who haven't read it yet. I think Steve Perryman was the only Labour supporter in the Spurs team, the stuff about Gilly is priceless IIRC. Just as I imagined him to be in his private life.

What a team we had then, so many characters, and so much passion on the terraces, too much passion at times for sure, culminating in Feyenoord, the end of Billy Nick and of Spurs' greatest era. I remember from the book Davies describing fans literally shaking with excitement when we played Chelsea in the lge cup semi final second leg - the roar that went up when Pearce crashed one in, the despair when two of our legends gifted Chelsea the tie.

I went to both legs, how we never beat Chelsea in that tie still haunts me to this day, we threw it away about three times over the three hours.

My favourite book in the whole, wide world.
I was still relatively young when the book came out but I remember devouring every word and I have read it quite a few times since. Although some things have dated, certain things about human beings don't change. Think that was the first time I saw the 'c' word in print, quite shocking then. What ever happened to the deaf kid that broke into the reserves (can't remember his name)?
Although Mr P was always the love of my life, I also had a big crush on Joe Kinnear (he was very slim and good looking then!) and I loved Cyril Knowles too, what a character that man was.
It was a breakthrough publication, made more astonishing that Bill Nick allowed it, we weren't exactly the most open of establishments, I wonder to this day who sanctioned it and what the motivation behind it was. But whoever and why - I'm glad they did, it was great to get a peak behind the scenes, and everyone involved in THFC got a significant mention.
I got Morris Keston's book on the strength of The Glory, Glory Game, but only enjoyed the chapters relating to Spurs, he's a bit of a name dropper.

Great book. For me what was most interesting was how Davies presented the ownership—they considered themselves stewards of a club with a history bigger than their egos. I still don't know why they sold (best guess was issues with getting the East Stand redone?), but that definitely marked the end of some kind of era. THFC at that moment seemed to move from being primarily a Gemeinschaft to a Gesellschaft.

Great book. For me what was most interesting was how Davies presented the ownership—they considered themselves stewards of a club with a history bigger than their egos. I still don't know why they sold (best guess was issues with getting the East Stand redone?), but that definitely marked the end of some kind of era. THFC at that moment seemed to move from being primarily a Gemeinschaft to a Gesellschaft.
If you found that to be the most interesting part of the book, I suspect that you might have missed the point of it all. Particularly given the hasty backpedaling the board did when they found out what was actually going into print, content wise.
Thats not to say that I disagree with your point, just that it was the most interesting facet of the entire publication.

My favourite book in the whole, wide world.
I was still relatively young when the book came out but I remember devouring every word and I have read it quite a few times since. Although some things have dated, certain things about human beings don't change. Think that was the first time I saw the 'c' word in print, quite shocking then. What ever happened to the deaf kid that broke into the reserves (can't remember his name)?
Although Mr P was always the love of my life, I also had a big crush on Joe Kinnear (he was very slim and good looking then!) and I loved Cyril Knowles too, what a character that man was.
It was a breakthrough publication, made more astonishing that Bill Nick allowed it, we weren't exactly the most open of establishments, I wonder to this day who sanctioned it and what the motivation behind it was. But whoever and why - I'm glad they did, it was great to get a peak behind the scenes, and everyone involved in THFC got a significant mention.
I got Morris Keston's book on the strength of The Glory, Glory Game, but only enjoyed the chapters relating to Spurs, he's a bit of a name dropper.
when the clubs directors found out the depth of revelations they did a lot of work in trying to persuade it to be stopped, to remove some of the more explicit and revealing parts. I'm glad the author and publishers stuck to their guns - as I feel that long term it did more good than harm.
I loved the way it showed Bill Nicholson, Sherwood making statements about the colour of his blood are made to look ludicrous in comparison

No-one but no-one will come close to Bill Nick's relationship with our club, how he was never knighted is beyond my understanding, where someone like Trevor Brooking got one!

Always good to get a post where I have to look up what words mean. Very erudite Eperons :thumbup::thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom