The coolest football song ever?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

A few years ago I got hold of a copy of this record and posted it on a Spurs forum. At the time it was still extremely rare and, given the fact it is quite possibly the coolest football song ever made, I felt it my duty to bring it to the attention of a new generation of Spurs fans.

Why so cool? Well, this was a band made up of several of the coolest characters of the early '90s Indie scene, all of whom massive Spurs fans. Moose and Lush weren't exactly The Stone Roses or Happy Mondays of the Manchester scene, but they were far less mainstream and amongst Indie aficionados they were considered big-hitters. Both held a cult status amongst fans and so the fact the members of each band should join forces surely elevates them into super-cool territory. Throw in Simon Raymonde, 1 half of equally cool '80s duo The Cocteau Twins, and we are well into regions of super-uber-cool.

The reason it was so rare was because it was never officially released. It appeared as a floppy vinyl 7" on the cover of Hotspur Magazine after our 1991 FA Cup semi-final victory over Ars3na1 (see what I did there ;)). The record was the 1st release on fictional record label "Cock-a-Doodle Records" (release code COCK01) and it was a limited edition pressing. The problem with these floppy vinyls which, for some reason, became popular in the early 90's as a means of giving away music on the covers of magazines, was that they damaged VERY easily. They often never had a proper sleeve and, given the way they were made and the extremely thin vinyl used, the quality of the press was poor and the quality of the recording was low as a result.

However, in recent years the song has been re-sourced and is now in abundance online. The sound quality is still not great, but that just adds to it's overall coolness - where are we now? Mega-super-uber-cool land I think, I got lost when I took a left turn out of Super-uber-cool because nobody has ever actually mapped this far into coolness.

I don't know if it has really aged well. You might not actually like the song at all. However, you ought to know that "shoegazing" Indie music, the category to which this falls into, was the genre in 1991 Britain which anyone "in the know" (sorry, "ITK") was listening to.

You probably won't ever hear it sung on the terraces - in fact you definitely won't as there are no real, decipherable lyrics (altho Miki's angelic harmonies are both hypnotic and sexy as hell) and terraces don't exist anymore anyway!! - but any self-respecting, "cool" Tottenham fan has to get this downloaded and onto their iPods NOW!!!

THE LILLIES - "and David Seaman Won't Be Very Happy About That"

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouLkc3cO84Q[/youtube]

P.S. - Note the wicked "Glory, glory" guitar riff about halfway thru . . . so damn cool

P.P.S - Miki, I love you! You are so cool that you are the only person in the world able to carry off the colour red - you sexy minx

Then again, Lord Sassafrost's reggae homage to our early 80's side is pretty darn cool also and, whilst rare, this one actually did get properly released!!

[youtube]

or how about Ranking Toyan, once Tottenham resident, member of the Fatman HI-FI and self-confessed Spurs fan, breaking into song in celebration of our 1982 FA Cup win over QPR in the track "Dance with Me":

[youtube]

(this was actually 2 tracks realeased as 1, the 1st half is John Mclean's "Starliner", the 2nd which starts after 3:30, is Toyan's "Dance with Me")

"Say Tottenham score a goal, Rangers lose control"

Get 'em on ya pods, lads

Last edited by a moderator:
drwinston001 said:
Thelonious Filth said:
I can't stop playing the John McLean song, it's fucking immense!

I love that American Pie song he did.
I didn't know he sang that as well
Die%20Hard%20With%20A%20Vengeance1.jpg

It was given away with The Spur fanzine. I have a copy of both. In the loft along with several copies of The Spur and other 90s fanzines.

The years before the internet, this is what we had to make do with.

basskadet said:
Then again, Lord Sassafrost's reggae homage to our early 80's side is pretty darn cool also and, whilst rare, this one actually did get properly released!!

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eGXNPK7nsI ]

or how about Ranking Toyan, once Tottenham resident, member of the Fatman HI-FI and self-confessed Spurs fan, breaking into song in celebration of our 1982 FA Cup win over QPR in the track "Dance with Me":

[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2L7CijKbg0 ]

(this was actually 2 tracks realeased as 1, the 1st half is John Mclean's "Starliner", the 2nd which starts after 3:30, is Toyan's "Dance with Me")

"Say Tottenham score a goal, Rangers lose control"

Get 'em on ya pods, lads

Thanks so much for posting that! I love that style of reggae from the late 70's/early 80's. It brings back many memories of youthful misadventures from that time.

I've only been a Spurs fan for a few years (I'm an American who only got exposed to the Prem in the early 00s), but I can honestly say that had heard that song back in 1982, I would have become a Spurs fan on the spot.

Maybe we ought to start a reggae thread on the Off Topic Board? Afterall, Bob Marley was supposedly a Yiddo.

feel free mate, I've heard the Bob Marley rumour as well. I've also heard Michael Holding (legendary cricketer, now commentator) is a Spurs fan as well! Holding has the greatest voice of all time, go on youtube to check it out!

Thelonious Filth said:
feel free mate, I've heard the Bob Marley rumour as well. I've also heard Michael Holding (legendary cricketer, now commentator) is a Spurs fan as well! Holding has the greatest voice of all time, go on youtube to check it out!

Thelonious you are right, I checked out Holding on You Tube. He has a great voice!

Now, if you could only explain cricket to a baffled American! Seriously though, that sport seems inscrutable. I can see some similarities to the American sport of baseball, but it seems confusing to the uninitiated.

I will try to start a thread on reggae soon. Would enjoy seeing You Tube clips of the favorite reggae songs from the forum members.

By the way, love the job that you and the other lads are doing with the Podcast. Keep up the great work!

I forgot this one but they're playing it on BBC 6music as I type

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dit3d4s8jRs[/youtube]

Not at all Spurs related but you can't deny it's great (or can you?)

edited by TF

Back
Top Bottom