*** The Carbon friendly Green Cup Tottenham Hotspur v West Ham 11 AM Tuesday 18th *** ♻️ 🌎

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Does everybody know that the bird is a word?

• Blake’s 7

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • The philtrum

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Ma-ma-mow, pa-pa, ma-ma-mow, pa-pa

Votes: 40 87.0%

• Total voters
Worrying we spent £40M on porro and he can’t defend. Even in conte ball WBs are meant to defend not given license to roam. Wonder what defensive qualities he should? If he can’t play FB then a waste of money would have bette off buying a proper right sided attacker like diaby.

I heard Walker couldn't defend for years.

And then we started playing front foot high pressing football where we were the team with the ball and his deficiencies were halved.

No it doesn't, other than Romero the rest are unsalvagable. Only Davies makes sense as a back CB/FB. The rest are utter wank.

LeParisien LeParisien how are you trying to pretend that just cos Ange hasn't worked on set pieces that it means its OK to be slow in signing a CB. It doesn't mean he's ignoring the defence or the CBs... well, if he is, I want him out of my club before he can do more damage.

Our first game of the season is a month away, whoever we sign will need at least a week to settle into a new country, new city, and a new club, even ignoring the actual tactical and physical training side of things.

As it stands there's no indication that we will have our CB this time next week either.
I’m not pretending that at all. The two things are completely independent.I am saying that our defensive weakness from set pieces are not concerning.

It’s more important we get the best player we can in than compromise and end up with someone weaker but two weeks earlier. If there’s a chance we can get our first choice by waiting 1/2 weeks then I think that’s the best strategy.

That is usually the last thing to click. It is the hardest part of the game.

Fluency of execution in build up is what will what put the defenders on the back-foot and buy those in the box the extra split second to get a better shot off.

If Ange keeps us playing like we did today and we sort out the CB situation, no reason we shouldn’t finish top four. We’re a seriously talented group attacking wise.

It’s more important we get the best player we can in than compromise and end up with someone weaker but two weeks earlier. If there’s a chance we can get our first choice by waiting 1/2 weeks then I think that’s the best strategy.
I’ve no doubt we could get Lenglet done and on the plane by Friday and he’d gel more quickly with guys he’s played with before…..
…… but NO ONE wants that.

Thoughts on the game.

First game and all that, friendly etc, but liked the way we played, dominating the ball, looking to control the game with the ball. Think we are going to struggle to do the ferocious win it back quickly thing though, with this bunch. Hope I'm wrong.

Really fucking worried going into the season with our forward/attacking players. How the fuck did we pay 50/60m for Richarlison; him, Son, Kulusevski, Soloman is a really really fucking uninspiring bunch. Especially if we are going to play this high line, heavy possession compressed in the final third football. None of them have either the technical ability or composure in pressured situations.

I like Bissouma, but really not convinced he's the 6 type anchor this system needs. I'd have switched him and Skipp around maybe. Better still, go and buy a real busy fucker.

I thought Udogie looked decent. Certainly much better than Reguilon. He definitely suits the system better than any other LB we have. Probably suits any system better than any other LB we have.

I think Royal also looked better in the inverted auxiliary midfield remit than Porro. Porro offers more offensively.

Anyone suggesting Kulusevski could play as an 8 is fucking nuts.

No it doesn't, other than Romero the rest are unsalvagable. Only Davies makes sense as a back CB/FB. The rest are utter wank.

LeParisien LeParisien how are you trying to pretend that just cos Ange hasn't worked on set pieces that it means its OK to be slow in signing a CB. It doesn't mean he's ignoring the defence or the CBs... well, if he is, I want him out of my club before he can do more damage.

Our first game of the season is a month away, whoever we sign will need at least a week to settle into a new country, new city, and a new club, even ignoring the actual tactical and physical training side of things.

As it stands there's no indication that we will have our CB this time next week either.
There's no indication we won't either.

Thoughts on the game.

First game and all that, friendly etc, but liked the way we played, dominating the ball, looking to control the game with the ball. Think we are going to struggle to do the ferocious win it back quickly thing though, with this bunch. Hope I'm wrong.

Really fucking worried going into the season with our forward/attacking players. How the fuck did we pay 50/60m for Richarlison; him, Son, Kulusevski, Soloman is a really really fucking uninspiring bunch. Especially if we are going to play this high line, heavy possession compressed in the final third football. None of them have either the technical ability or composure in pressured situations.

I like Bissouma, but really not convinced he's the 6 type anchor this system needs. I'd have switched him and Skipp around maybe. Better still, go and buy a real busy fucker.

I thought Udogie looked decent. Certainly much better than Reguilon. He definitely suits the system better than any other LB we have. Probably suits any system better than any other LB we have.

I think Royal also looked better in the inverted auxiliary midfield remit than Porro. Porro offers more offensively.

Anyone suggesting Kulusevski could play as an 8 is fucking nuts.

And this post is why you should stick to posting about ice hockey or something, coz that’s the most clueless post I’ve read today.

Solomon, Richie, Son and Kulu are NOT an uninspiring bunch. Grow some eyes.

And Bissouma is going to absolutely tear shit up in this system.

We most certainly do not need to buy someone to replace him.

Agree about Udogie.

Please go watch some actual football. Thanks.

:nunothumb:

Lots of positives.

1. Dominated the ball and created enough chances to win comfortably.

2. Loved seeing defenders playing vertical passes into midfielders, rather than out to the wing backs - so refreshing after Conte.

3. Encouraging to see that we were able to find Maddison and Lo Celso in the kind of spaces they are dangerous.

4. Udogie looked like a Premier league player. Fast, powerful, good movement and technique. Linked up nicely with Perisic. Looks an intelligent player.

4. Solomon was good. Got his head up to pick out players in the box. Encouraged to see this given his low assist numbers at Fulham.

5. Perisic still has a lot to offer. He's still good 1v1, and Ange-ball maximises this. Quality delivery. Much prefer him as a winger than wing back. Udogie's running helped him too.

Negatives - not so many.

Defensively we were vulnerable in transition and aerially. We need that quick / dominant CB pronto. We also miss Bentancur. And we need height in the back four (so definitely no Reggie, and I'm not convinced by Porro at RB, though he offers plenty going forward). In the meantime I do think we'll improve in the defensive aspect, especially transition, as we learn Ange's system.

Overall, some really good signs, and nothing bad that can't be fixed if we can just find a quality CB or 2.
Their third goal had me thinking that recovery pace is a must in that back line.

Cue VDV.

I wonder which set of fans were the most content with that match?

I’ve no doubt we could get Lenglet done and on the plane by Friday and he’d gel more quickly with guys he’s played with before…..
…… but NO ONE wants that.
Because as he showed last season he's not good enough. We don't need bench defenders our squad us littered with them. We need toby/vertonghen level defenders to come in and actually improve our defending from what it is right now.

I watched it on an stream from Aussie tv and the commentator procounced Lo Celso and Lo Chelso.

And Sergio instead of Reguilon...bloody annoyed the fuck out of me.

That aside, we were a delightful watch and should have won 10-3. I am very happy to see midfielders actually making runs into the box and a team that wants to attack and score lots of goals.

Our defending is shambolic but we all know that. If nothing else, Ange now is getting an idea of just how bad it is. The way he will have us playing is going to leave us open at the back occasionally so Levy cannot, absolutely cannot go cheap on reinforcements there.

Kane has a big decision to make now. He could score 40 goals in this system and that might be very appealing to both him and the club. Conversely I am not sure he is critical to it being successful. Perhaps we take the Bayern money and put it into 2 genuinely world class central defenders.

But really good early signs.

Re-watched the first half.

Porro - Actually more impressed with him than on first watch. He was a real creative threat. The inverted role could suit him. Acted like another creative mid with numerous crosses and overlaps with Deki. With his technical ability, this role could really suit him.

Tanganga - His only fault was that he's not the new LCB that we all want. I counted one missed forward pass and one failed nutmeg. Had a bad slip and touch that leadHe actually covered nicely for Reguilon with a couple of blocked shots. One excellent tackle on Bowen when it looked like he was breaking away. He also had that poor slide touch near the end of half which lead to the Bowen shot. Vicario with a great save.

Reguilon - big mistake on the Ings goal. Has to go at the cross wit his head. Terrible slip that lead to a good chance for Bowen that was blocked by Tanganga. Thought he worked really well with Solomon going forward. Bunch of good passes and overlaps that created space and time for Solomon.

2nd West Ham goal - total team breakdown. Deki and Bissouma didn't communicate who was taking who. Bissouma very late getting out to Emerson which allowed him to get the cross in. Poor communication between Porro and Tanganga marking

Created even more scoring chances than i remembered on first watch without even scoring. Bissouma, Solomon (should've been a pen), Deki, Skipp, Maddison all had excellent chances to score but couldn't finish.

Thought Kane and Maddison were mostly passengers for a lot of the half. Had some decent looks but passes didn't come off. Deki didn't look too comfortable. It was like he was caught between staying wide and coming inside but still had a few nice moments. Skipp also had some nice moments and took up good positions but also quiet.

I don't think we're giving enough credit to how good the passing was. Only working with Ange for a few weeks. Internationals just got back. But the passing was crisp and movement off the ball was top notch. I think the players will be real proud of themselves when they watch half back.

Posted this in the Ange thread but realised its probably more appropriate here:

This is textbook early-'Angeball' (really not a fan of that name btw). Chances created, not taken, defensive lapses but looking dangerous. Will improve further. Sharper on attack. Better in defence. Strap in.

Also first 2 goals conceded weren't a lot to do with the system. Just static defending. 3rd goal conceded very much a systemic issue and will happen on occasion even when it all comes together but the number scored at the other end will more than offset.

The single most encouraging thing is they already look able and willing to play the system. Far more cohesive than Celtic. Yokohama or Brisbane at a similar stage which is to be expected given the extra quality in this team.

Celtic's learning curve wasn't as steep as his prior teams due to the higher quality of player he had and I think Spurs will be even less steep for the same reason so not expecting it to take as long to really click into gear.

Defense has always been the last thing to come together with Ange - as he says (and has always said) he tries to get the attacking philosophy embedded first which brings with it the defensive improvements ie. defend from the front etc. Celtic leaked a lot of goals early in his first season but had conceded something like 25 goals in 33 games when the league was won this year and scored 4 times as many.

Lots of things to be positive about at this early stage. IMO this style of play 'scales' better with higher quality players due to the attacking (technical) requirements. Spurs will naturally do that better than any of his past teams which means less pain to get to the really good stuff. Should also equate to a higher % of chances finished too (not that you'd know it from this game) so if they create like they did last night I have no doubt they will score 6+ goals in at least a couple of games this year.

Back
Top Bottom