The business point of view for Harry leaving

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

One of my mates put this very well structured point about the business side to the decision...

From a slightly different point of view: a business point of a view.

Firstly, I am going to congratulate Mr Levy on a really smart move. Lets not forget that Mr Levy is a very good businessman.

It is summed up in one line from My Levy's PR statement: 'Harry arrived at the Club at a time when his experience and approach was exactly what was needed.'

Read that line. Then read it again.

My Levy had a strategy and My Levy has implemented that strategy. When he employed Harry, he knew it was not a long term placement. It's called the Peter Principle.

"The principle holds that in a hierarchy, members are promoted so long as they work competently. Eventually they are promoted to a position at which they are no longer competent (their "level of incompetence"), and there they remain, being unable to earn further promotions. Peter's Corollary states that "in time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties" and adds that "work is accomplished by those employees who have not yet reached their level of incompetence." "Managing upward" is the concept of a subordinate finding ways to subtly "manage" superiors in order to limit the damage that they end up doing."

"In an organizational structure, the Peter Principle's practical application allows assessment of the potential of an employee for a promotion based on performance in the current job; i.e., members of an hierarchical organization eventually are promoted to their highest level of competence, after which further promotion raises them to incompetence. That level is the employee's "level of incompetence" where the employee has no chance of further promotion, thus reaching their career's ceiling in an organization.

The employee's incompetence is not necessarily a result of the higher-ranking position being more difficult. It may be that the new position requires different work skills which the employee may not possess. For example, an engineer with great technical skill might get promoted to project manager, only to discover he lacks the interpersonal skills required to lead a team."

Harry had reached his limit. He seems to think he has more to offer our Club, but with one year left on his contract, I think Mr Levy knew he didn't have any more to give. His recent negative attitude and run of results shown that he was now being destructive, rather than productive.

i think Levy has looked at last season, and the seasons before and had to make a business conclusion

last season was a circus - with the England debacle, the court case and the Harry's rent a mouth antics

Harry has done a great job, no doubt - he, along with Levy, have built us into a solid top 6 club eityh realistic ambitions of top 3 or 4 every year

but that is likely to fall apart somewhat with another season of the kind of circus we had last season - and sadly, Redknapp brings the circus to town.

if we have the right replacement lined up (Levy is too clever to have not done - but will bide him time in appointing to avoid Harry suing IMHO) that can carry on Harry work and cement us where we are as well as moving us forwards, then the decision seems like a sensible one.

monkeybarry said:
if we have the right replacement lined up (Levy is too clever to have not done - but will bide him time in appointing to avoid Harry suing IMHO) that can carry on Harry work and cement us where we are as well as moving us forwards, then the decision seems like a sensible one.

That, and that alone determines if it is a smart "business decision"

The problem with business and business management views is talking a commodity view of people that doesn't specifically apply in fields where the pool of candidates is relatively small, and the attributes that you want are difficult to measure.

- If I'm hiring people to staff a cashier role at a local supermarket, I can be completely ruthless as a new person may take 6 weeks to train and I'm pretty sure I can get a person with the attributes I want (on time, effort, personality, etc.)

- If I'm hiring a football manager? I'm sure Charlton thought they could do better than Curbs, I'm sure Pool though Dogleash couldn't fail.

For this decision to make any sense, we have soneone already lined up, if we are now looking, it makes no business sense, as it would be a bad risk decision.

monkeybarry said:
Suing for what? HE's comtractually entitled to compensation,which has already been sorted out. What's his case?

Smoked Salmon said:
monkeybarry said:
Suing for what? HE's comtractually entitled to compensation,which has already been sorted out. What's his case?

im sure he'd find something to sure for if we had been speaking to others whilst he was still employed as manager - as much as i enjoyed Harry as manager, he does like to bring the circus along with him

Back
Top Bottom