The bullshit/lazy/terrible journalism thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

jimmyriggle

Blatant
So we all believe certain people in the media have it in for the club and, in particular, our new manager. The media agenda is often cited as incredibly irritating.

I thought it would be good to collect all the most ridiculous, uninformed pieces of 'journalism' about Spurs in one place. The nature of online reporting and comments is that a lot of journos seem to be able to completely contradict themselves with impunity as readers move from article to article in the blink of an eye. At best they are woefully uninformed, at worst they are plain spiteful.
With this thread, we can catalogue it all in one place and name and shame the worst culprits.

I've felt compelled to start this thread after reading this utter pile of speculative, quoteless bollocks in the People, written by some joker called Dave Kidd:

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/footb...es-to-save-his-tottenham-job-102039-23926251/

Congrats Dave. You've made the hit list.

I'm sure it will be interesting to look back on articles like this as the season progresses to see just how ridiculous some of this shit really is.
You know how certain papers like to print the old 'we told you first' line? (roughly translated as 'one of the many stories we speculate on finally came true') Perhaps if particular journos can be proved wrong enough times, we can mass email them and their editor with all the shit they've got completely wrong?

Let the witch hunt begin! :avbwtf:

I'm getting kind of tired of all these threads/posts complaining about the media having it out for us. Of course they want the manager to get sacked, that gives them something to write about and sell papers. We spend way too much time complaining about it IMO.

SanDiegoYiddo said:
I'm getting kind of tired of all these threads/posts complaining about the media having it out for us. Of course they want the manager to get sacked, that gives them something to write about and sell papers. We spend way too much time complaining about it IMO.

Complaining about people complaining!

Brilliant.

Blanchflower said:
SanDiegoYiddo said:

Complaining about people complaining!

Brilliant.
Just saying we talk about it too much.

SanDiegoYiddo said:

point taken. to clarify, this isn't a thread to prove the media have it in for us. these same guys write just the same amount of speculative half-truths about just about every other club at any given time.
However, it's probably best to focus on the stories about spurs for the sake of this exercise.

Just thought it would be funny to look back on some of the stuff that's said instead of just letting it pass of in the ether. A bit like the ITK thread I suppose.

Was watching Sky News today, just as soon as they finished the report they wheeled on Kevin Bond to have a moan about poor Harry...how he improved us every season and what a mystery his sacking was...spoiled my enjoyment no end.

7995561265_0b34ef33b3_m.jpg

jimmyriggle said:
if harry and the gang still don't know why he was sacked then that's part of the problem. That's for a different thread though.

Victim of his own success, we were all so spoilt - as good as it gets for us Spurs fans.

This was under the headline:

LLORIS "EXPECTS" TO PLAY

Lloris 'expects' Spurs starts

France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris says he is "expecting" to play at new club Tottenham - but has vowed to be patient and wait for his chance.

Last Updated: 17/09/12 at 12:08 Post Comment Bet with SkyBet Premier League Top 4 Finish 12/13 Top 4 Finish: Tottenham 3/1

Lloris: Signed as Tottenham's long-term goalkeeper

Lloris, a transfer deadline day signing from Lyon, was left on the bench again as Friedel, 41, made his 307th consecutive Premier League appearance in Spurs' 3-1 win at Reading on Sunday.

Tottenham boss Villas-Boas had already warned 25-year-old Lloris that he faced a battle to dislodge the dependable American stopper and, as expected, Friedel was preferred for the Premier League clash at the Madejski Stadium.

But the Portuguese may decide to give Lloris his chance in Thursday's clash against Europa League opponents Lazio.

"Things were very clear from the start on Sunday," Lloris told French newspaper L'Equipe. "I was at Tony Parks (Tottenham's goalkeeping coach) and Brad Friedel's disposal.

"That pitch, that atmosphere, that gives you desire to play. Moreover we got three points that made us start our season.

"For me, it is a period to manage. Obviously I have desire. I came here to play.

"I am at the club, I know where I have to go to. I had a talk with the coach, as he said, and I know everyone at Tottenham wanted me to come.

"So indeed, I am in an adaptation period, I've had very few training sessions, and there are players that I didn't know. But I am expecting time on the pitch."

Beyond comical

sammyspurs said:

LLORIS "EXPECTS" TO PLAY

France goalkeeper Hugo Lloris says he is "expecting" to play at new club Tottenham - but has vowed to be patient and wait for his chance.

Last Updated: 17/09/12 at 12:08 Post Comment Bet with SkyBet Premier League Top 4 Finish 12/13 Top 4 Finish: Tottenham 3/1

Lloris, a transfer deadline day signing from Lyon, was left on the bench again as Friedel, 41, made his 307th consecutive Premier League appearance in Spurs' 3-1 win at Reading on Sunday.

Tottenham boss Villas-Boas had already warned 25-year-old Lloris that he faced a battle to dislodge the dependable American stopper and, as expected, Friedel was preferred for the Premier League clash at the Madejski Stadium.

But the Portuguese may decide to give Lloris his chance in Thursday's clash against Europa League opponents Lazio.

"Things were very clear from the start on Sunday," Lloris told French newspaper L'Equipe. "I was at Tony Parks (Tottenham's goalkeeping coach) and Brad Friedel's disposal.

"That pitch, that atmosphere, that gives you desire to play. Moreover we got three points that made us start our season.

"For me, it is a period to manage. Obviously I have desire. I came here to play.

"I am at the club, I know where I have to go to. I had a talk with the coach, as he said, and I know everyone at Tottenham wanted me to come.

"So indeed, I am in an adaptation period, I've had very few training sessions, and there are players that I didn't know. But I am expecting time on the pitch."

Beyond comical

Footballer joins team expecting to play for said team? OUTRAGEOUS

sammyspurs said:

LLORIS "EXPECTS" TO PLAY

Beyond comical

Hahaha, I love how he's quoted "expected" to prove his point but in absolutely no context.

just doing a bit of admin. Jiggins you made the hit list.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... stars.html

Spurs in turmoil
'Tired' stars slam AVB
Exclusive
By PAUL JIGGINS

UNHAPPY Tottenham stars held showdown talks with Andre Villas-Boas over his training and tactics.

Boss AVB also had a bust-up with technical co-ordinator Tim Sherwood, who is allegedly angry at being frozen out.

Players complained that AVB’s gruelling double training sessions — sometimes staged just 24 hours before a match — left them too tired to perform in Premier League matches this season.

And Spurs stars have also hit out at their manager’s negative style of football, telling him they would prefer to play a more attacking system. AVB has scrapped the double training sessions after listening to his squad.

Spurs, away at Manchester United tonight, are eighth in the table and unbeaten since losing at Newcastle in their opening game.

But AVB is said to have been left reeling by the mutiny, which reportedly follows bust-ups with some of the club’s old guard behind the scenes.

The Portuguese boss, who took over in July, ruthlessly axed chief scout Ian Broomfield earlier this month.

AVB’s row with Sherwood has also caused concern.

The former midfielder was looking to be more involved with the first team this season.

But AVB said this week: “I think the chairman sees Tim working with the development squad.”

Sherwood may quit if his old club Blackburn offer him the chance to replace Steve Kean, who quit last night.

The situation has echoes of the way AVB infuriated the Chelsea squad last season before he was sacked.

Villas-Boas was fined £12,000 for criticising referee Chris Foy last season — and the same man takes charge today.

Asked whether United boss Alex Ferguson has an influence over refs, the Spurs boss said: “It’s an interesting question but I paid a very high fine last time and I don’t want to do that again.”

Kyle Walker ‏@kyle28walker
Just landed back in London still buzzing from the win thought the gaffers tactics were stop on and all that in the paper is false #COYS

Blanchflower said:
Kyle Walker ‏@kyle28walker
Just landed back in London still buzzing from the win thought the gaffers tactics were stop on and all that in the paper is false #COYS

Been posted in the match thread already, but I may give you some pos rep anyway because I'm so happy (and slightly intoxicated) right now.

Back
Top Bottom