The Battle for Third

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm only speculating, but in addition to the above, I think that there is more to these relationships—it's just that the innards aren't terribly interesting to fans who don't play FM. For example, I imagine we have access to Internacional's scouting network. That means we don't have to build a parallel network in Brazil; we can focus on a complementary (and hence smaller) network. We also might be able to shift players to Brazil that way, much like how we've worked with San José Earthquakes in the past.

Finally, these are long-term plans that are supposed to last years (or decades). The idea that a relationship with RM last summer means Kaká this winter on loan and Bale sold in summer is a bit crazy.

But fans are going to overreact as they bring in the Kremlinologists for each jot of information that dribbles out of Levy's lips.
Very apt term. I crave a bad pun bastardization

K-Levy-linologists
Krem-Lane-ologists

:balesnarl:

Proper abominations.

I think in the previous transfer window, while fretting over yet another window going by without Damião and the like, someone said something like, "anyway, if he was such a good player, surely other clubs would be in for him".

I now wonder if that's exactly evidence for the special relationship.

Our relationship with RM has been described as "right of first refusal." That is, should Barça come in for Bale at £70m, and that matches Levy's valuation, then Levy is obligated to call up Madrid and say, "hey, I'm about to sell Bale for £70m. But our special relationship means that you get him at that price first."

So long as Damião remains in Porto Alegre, we have no proof that the special relationship has been breached, assuming it's right of first refusal.

I get the sense that people expect that right to mean that Spurs can cherry pick players and get them for hilariously cheap prices and at the moment we want them—forcing the feeder club to sell by our rules. I don't think that's it at all. Internacional's being disinclined to sell Damião to us might mean that other clubs don't even get their calls returned!

I think our first refusal deal with Internacional only applies to players from their academy (like Sandro). Damião is not from the academy, so another special deal which means their chairman can fuck us over again and again kicks in.
:avbnaa:

This article thinks all of Spurs, Arse-nil and Chelsea will finish with 68-72 points and that there are more signifigant games to come than this weekend's match. Do you think it will be that close between the three teams?

http://www.nononsensefootball.com/3-teams-2-spaces-Woolwich-chelsea-and-spurs/

Surely we can get more than 72-points and finish a good bit ahead of the other two in third. Second is even realistic.

I'm only speculating, but in addition to the above, I think that there is more to these relationships—it's just that the innards aren't terribly interesting to fans who don't play FM. For example, I imagine we have access to Internacional's scouting network. That means we don't have to build a parallel network in Brazil; we can focus on a complementary (and hence smaller) network. We also might be able to shift players to Brazil that way, much like how we've worked with San José Earthquakes in the past.

Finally, these are long-term plans that are supposed to last years (or decades). The idea that a relationship with RM last summer means Kaká this winter on loan and Bale sold in summer is a bit crazy.

But fans are going to overreact as they bring in the Kremlinologists for each jot of information that dribbles out of Levy's lips.

I think mutually beneficial merchandise distribution is quite important as well.

EG. We wouldn't have a clue where to start with shifting "Bale 11" shirts in China, but we can now piggyback off Real and increase revenues quickly and with no real expenditure.

We should be targeting second.

Thats not to say we will reach it, its not arrogance, simply to say we should be aiming for as high a position as is realistically possible. With City to play at home, as AVB says, if we can go into that game on their coat tails its all to play for.

Why the hell not?

Of course things can collapse, look at last season. I honestly believe though had we continued aiming higher last year, instead of getting carried away and complacent, it could have been a very different result

I agree we can get second place, we are playing with more self belief and AVB has that tactical nous we never had last year. I honestly believe that if we finish second or third, we can win the league next year!! :avbpray:

We just need to keep on doing what we are doing, being stable and maintaining form. All the other teams are dropping points. Just keep going like a fucking steam roller.

We just need to keep on doing what we are doing, being stable and maintaining form. All the other teams are dropping points. Just keep going like a fucking steam roller.
Yes it is that never give up and fight to the end attitude thats gives us that mental edge

We should be targeting second...

...Of course things can collapse, look at last season. I honestly believe though had we continued aiming higher last year, instead of getting carried away and complacent, it could have been a very different result

There could be truth in that. The collapse happened around the time we started losing to our rivals and the narrative definitely shifted from 'Spurs challenging' to 'Spurs just need to hold on to the gap behind them'. It could certainly have had an effect. Instead of going into games thinking about taking another 3 points out of City, it was keeping ourselves above Woolwich.

In fact it was telling we never capitalised on Woolwich's slip-ups. They would drop points and then we end up hanging on to a point against Villa.

We've got 11 games to go and if we win 6 of them we will (bar a miracle for Woolwich) finish in the top four. Aim for wins rather avoiding defeats and we will achieve our aims.

Everton have lost less games than us, but we're 6 points clear of them because winning is far more important than not losing.

Back
Top Bottom