The Battle for Third

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

WookieD

wharrgarbl 💫
Is ON!

Well it's nice to nearly be in the month of March and not be looking down the barrel of another collapse. Quite the opposite in fact... Rafa Benitez has had a training ground bust up with *SURPRISE SURPRISE* John Terry (allegedly). The Sun has named Terry personally and the Daily Mail is reporting that Rafa has told the entire squad that their effort and performance is not good enough.

Terry, being Terry (allegedly) replied that this squad was good enough to win a Champions League... Presumably there was no footage on hand to remind Johno that their performance resembled something closer to a WW1 re-enactment of a trench being mortered than it did of classic and deserved champions of Europe or anyone to remind them that they shouldn't even be in the competition this season.

Anyway, it's nice to see the media getting on someone else's back come the tail end of the season, let's hope that it is nothing trivial:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...t-Chelsea-players-Manchester-City-defeat.html

Fuck Man Utd, we have a partnership with Real Madrid
Special relationship... Sort of like a married man has a special relationship with the girl he keeps telling he'll leave his wife for.

"sure, sure, sell us Bale. Keep giving us that sugar. We'll find someone to sell to you at some point"

Special relationship... Sort of like a married man has a special relationship with the girl he keeps telling he'll leave his wife for.

"sure, sure, sell us Bale. Keep giving us that sugar. We'll find someone to sell to you at some point"

If he does have a terrible time at Madrid and because of our "special relationship" can anyone else see a Modric return in the future?

Stranger things have happened. More importantly would he be welcomed back?

If he does have a terrible time at Madrid and because of our "special relationship" can anyone else see a Modric return in the future?

Stranger things have happened. More importantly would he be welcomed back?

It wouldn't surprise me, but at the same time, I really wouldn't hold my breath either. He acted like an utter cunt too, so not sure he would be that welcome tbh.

It wouldn't surprise me, but at the same time, I really wouldn't hold my breath either. He acted like an utter cunt too, so not sure he would be that welcome tbh.

Very true, it was a shame the way he went about leaving, as he was a fantastic player to watch.

Good old Levy, he sold Modric to RM so that Bale would see what an awful choice it was and would never leave us.... Modric has played his part to perfection, top man. Now Bale can realise he will never get in the team and will rot in the reserves with Modders.

I struggle to see where this "special relationship" is going. The same sort of relationship with Internaciale has not landed us Leandro. In fact, they've been a pain in the arse!

The same sort of relationship with Internaciale has not landed us Leandro.
I think in the previous transfer window, while fretting over yet another window going by without Damião and the like, someone said something like, "anyway, if he was such a good player, surely other clubs would be in for him".

I now wonder if that's exactly evidence for the special relationship.

Our relationship with RM has been described as "right of first refusal." That is, should Barça come in for Bale at £70m, and that matches Levy's valuation, then Levy is obligated to call up Madrid and say, "hey, I'm about to sell Bale for £70m. But our special relationship means that you get him at that price first."

So long as Damião remains in Porto Alegre, we have no proof that the special relationship has been breached, assuming it's right of first refusal.

I get the sense that people expect that right to mean that Spurs can cherry pick players and get them for hilariously cheap prices and at the moment we want them—forcing the feeder club to sell by our rules. I don't think that's it at all. Internacional's being disinclined to sell Damião to us might mean that other clubs don't even get their calls returned!

I think in the previous transfer window, while fretting over yet another window going by without Damião and the like, someone said something like, "anyway, if he was such a good player, surely other clubs would be in for him".

I now wonder if that's exactly evidence for the special relationship.

Our relationship with RM has been described as "right of first refusal." That is, should Barça come in for Bale at £70m, and that matches Levy's valuation, then Levy is obligated to call up Madrid and say, "hey, I'm about to sell Bale for £70m. But our special relationship means that you get him at that price first."

So long as Damião remains in Porto Alegre, we have no proof that the special relationship has been breached, assuming it's right of first refusal.

I get the sense that people expect that right to mean that Spurs can cherry pick players and get them for hilariously cheap prices and at the moment we want them—forcing the feeder club to sell by our rules. I don't think that's it at all. Internacional's being disinclined to sell Damião to us might mean that other clubs don't even get their calls returned!
Could well be. Just wish we wouldn't publicise "special relationships" as they don't really mean much and can be misconstrued by supporters and the like.

Could well be. Just wish we wouldn't publicise "special relationships" as they don't really mean much and can be misconstrued by supporters and the like.
I'm only speculating, but in addition to the above, I think that there is more to these relationships—it's just that the innards aren't terribly interesting to fans who don't play FM. For example, I imagine we have access to Internacional's scouting network. That means we don't have to build a parallel network in Brazil; we can focus on a complementary (and hence smaller) network. We also might be able to shift players to Brazil that way, much like how we've worked with San José Earthquakes in the past.

Finally, these are long-term plans that are supposed to last years (or decades). The idea that a relationship with RM last summer means Kaká this winter on loan and Bale sold in summer is a bit crazy.

But fans are going to overreact as they bring in the Kremlinologists for each jot of information that dribbles out of Levy's lips.

Back
Top Bottom