The “They’re really going to have a World Cup in QATAR?” Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hype is gonna be suffocating, tho.

I don't really care, TBH. I have 0 intention of watching a single second of this complete travesty of a tournament. Which is unfortunate, because the groups seem like they could provide some nice drama.

Up until semi recently I was weirdly hopeful that someone somewhere would realise how utterly mental it was to have a tournament over there and it would be changed. But of course, it was never gonna happen with the money involved. Farce.

Got huge respect for you & anyone else boycotting. I just get way too excited before any World Cup, it turns me in to a giddy little kid. And I guess they’re counting on people to just not be able to switch off..

Part 2: coming soon

FPRolYYX0AcF7hp.jpg

Up until semi recently I was weirdly hopeful that someone somewhere would realise how utterly mental it was to have a tournament over there and it would be changed. But of course, it was never gonna happen with the money involved. Farce.

Got huge respect for you & anyone else boycotting. I just get way too excited before any World Cup, it turns me in to a giddy little kid. And I guess they’re counting on people to just not be able to switch off..

I'm going to tell myself that using non-official streams makes it okay.

I can't not watch when we have such a genuinely good team, packed with elite talents, and one of the greatest strikers in English history, who plays for Spurs is in his prime. We have legitimate reasons to hope this could be an iconic tournament for us.

If it was 2014's squad I would find it much easier to skip.

2.42659263.jpg

skysports-man-utd-phil-jones_5520067.jpg

I'm going to tell myself that using non-official streams makes it okay.

I can't not watch when we have such a genuinely good team, packed with elite talents, and one of the greatest strikers in English history, who plays for Spurs is in his prime. We have legitimate reasons to hope this could be an iconic tournament for us.

If it was 2014's squad I would find it much easier to skip.

Yeah, it sucks. We have a legitimate chance, I find this group of players likeable (some of the old ones were hard to get behind .. John Pissing Terry and Ashley cole FFS) and as much as I think he's got limitations, Southgate is a genuinely decent bloke. The Euros was fucking brilliant.

Fuck everyone who has made this a decision for fans .. it's obviously very much first world problems relatively speaking, but football & the world cup in particular are huge to people. They've put a big fat asterisk next to this by using it to legitimise a murderous regime.

Group A: Qatar, Ecuador, Netherlands, Senegal

Group B: England, Iran, USA, Scotland/Wales/Ukraine

Group C: Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland

Group D: France, UAE/Australia/Peru, Denmark, Tunisia

Group E: Spain, Costa Rica/New Zealand, Germany, Japan

Group F: Belgium, Canada, Morocco, Croatia

Group G: Brazil, Serbia, Switzerland, Cameroon

Group H: Portugal, Ghana, Uruguay, South Korea

Highlighted teams are who I think qualifies from each group.
Bet on.

£56 pays out over £1400

And mighty England just lost a final, in their home stadium, to a team that didn't even qualify for the WC.

Also, this USA squad has just won 2 trophies in the last year. What has England won in the last 60 years?

The FIFA Fair Play Trophy, in both 1990 and 1998, thank-you-very-much.

tea-drinking.gif

In all seriousness, I think the USA's best chance to get out of the group is if Scotland qualify. Wales is better and Ukraine will have a lot of motivation to represent their country.

And mighty England just lost a final, in their home stadium, to a team that didn't even qualify for the WC.

Also, this USA squad has just won 2 trophies in the last year. What has England won in the last 60 years?

Sort of did also beat Croatia, Denmark and Germany in that same tournament. Whilst conceding 0 open play goals. And then losing on penalties to a team which were on a record breaking unbeaten run and had knocked out Spain & Belgium. Sort of was decent.

We don't all play Mexico in finals, mate.

Sort of did also beat Croatia, Denmark and Germany in that same tournament. Whilst conceding 0 open play goals. And then losing on penalties to a team which were on a record breaking unbeaten run and had knocked out Spain & Belgium. Sort of was decent.

We don't all play Mexico in finals, mate.
Mexico is ranked higher than Croatia, Denmark and Germany.

Mexico is ranked higher than Croatia, Denmark and Germany.

World Rankings are hilarious. Nobody thinks Mexico is better than any of those teams. Germany could probably field ten better starting elevens. Just like nobody thinks Belgium are the world's second best team, or Argentina 4th.

In no universe are Mexico even close to the 9th best team in world football. They won't even get out of their world cup group.

Back
Top Bottom