Tanguy Ndombele

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We all know Levy can be stubborn and very reluctant to take a loss on players. But in Ndombele's case I question the logic in keeping a player who has underperformed, who the manager doesn't trust, and who wants to leave.

Let's say we could have cut our losses and got around £40 mil this window. That's decent money to revinvest in our midfield - van de Beek is one example of what might have been available. That would be good business, and would improve us.

Instead Levy is going to hold out for a miracle, hoping Ndombele transforms into a key part of Mourinho's team. I can't see it, not because he lacks talent, but because he seems to lack the drive and personality that Mourinho looks for.

I think Doherty and PEH are really clever signings. But I'm thinking of those games against sides who come to defend and frustrate. Under Poch we relied a lot on Eriksen to unlock the door. We still need to find someone who can give us that incisive passing. Ndombele has the talent, but I just can't see it happening after a year with little progress.

Worse case he'll become our Ozil, happy to take big wages, and becoming increasingly hard to shift. Or more likely he'll end up going out on loan, if not this window, then next.

Having said all that, the thing that gives me hope is that Mourinho is sounding unusually relaxed and on board with the strategy. Which, for him, is saying something. I still find it hard to believe Mou hasn't pushed for a Ndombele sale, but let's wait and see.

Last edited:
We all know Levy can be stubborn and very reluctant to take a loss on players. But in Ndombele's case I question the logic in keeping a player who has underperformed, who the manager doesn't trust, and who wants to leave.

Let's say we could have cut our losses and got around £40 mil this window. That's decent money to revinvest in our midfield - van de Beek is one example of what might have been available. That would be good business, and would improve us.

Instead Levy is going to hold out for a miracle, hoping Ndombele transforms into a key part of Mourinho's team. I can't see it, not because he lacks talent, but because he seems to lack the drive and personality that Mourinho looks for.

I think Doherty and PEH are really clever signings. But I'm thinking of those games against sides who come to defend and frustrate. Under Poch we relied a lot on Eriksen to unlock the door. We still need to find someone who can give us that incisive passing. Ndombele has the talent, but I just can't see it happening after a year with little progress.

Worse case he'll become our Ozil, happy to take big wages, and becoming increasingly hard to shift. Or more likely he'll end up going out on loan, if not this window, then next.

Having said all that, the thing that gives me hope is that Mourinho is sounding unusually relaxed and on board with the strategy. Which, for him, is saying something. So I guess I'll have to chill out, take a leap of faith and wait and see.

I don’t think Levy is against selling him, the talk of wanting to keep him is just media posturing to keep the price high. We will sell if the terms are right for us.

The player is not serious about succeeding here. A player hungry for success with Tottenham would be working his knackers off, talking in the press about how he wants to fight and show everyone what he can do after a difficult start. He’d be trying to show the world that they are wrong. Instead it’s total radio silence, he put his slippers on after leaving Lyon and is now waiting for his next club. He’s already given up.

Jose said if a player doesn't give 100% then he doesn't want him around. Seems to me Tanguy won't be around, whether he's sold or in the reserves. He'll probably get a run out early in the season to see if he's willing to change his attitude.

I don’t think Levy is against selling him, the talk of wanting to keep him is just media posturing to keep the price high. We will sell if the terms are right for us.

The player is not serious about succeeding here. A player hungry for success with Tottenham would be working his knackers off, talking in the press about how he wants to fight and show everyone what he can do after a difficult start. He’d be trying to show the world that they are wrong. Instead it’s total radio silence, he put his slippers on after leaving Lyon and is now waiting for his next club. He’s already given up.
I think Levy is particularly reluctant to sell at a loss, and has been too slow in some cases to move players on. Eriksen is an example.

The thing is Spurs can't afford many mistakes if we want to compete for top 4 and trophies. We don't have the same budget as others, so we have to outperform off the pitch. Levy gets a lot right, but he needs to be more flexible in moving players on.

i wouldent be too quick to move on a player with that much talent. Levy can obviously see his potential and who is to say if mourinho has a torrid season he doesent move on and get replaced by a manager who gets the best out of him. one season in the prem isnt enough time to see if he will come good for us but for me he has already showed glimses of what he can become for us. lets not forget modrics struggles early on

i wouldent be too quick to move on a player with that much talent. Levy can obviously see his potential and who is to say if mourinho has a torrid season he doesent move on and get replaced by a manager who gets the best out of him. one season in the prem isnt enough time to see if he will come good for us but for me he has already showed glimses of what he can become for us. lets not forget modrics struggles early on
Sort of agree with that.
There's no doubt that he has the ability, it's his application/fitness that's in question.
If we can sell him and get a good replacement I'll be happy. If we keep him and his fitness improves I'll be equally happy.
Jose and Levy have to decide on taking that risk. Jose on the playing side and Levy on the financial side.
If we keep him for another year and his performances are like last season, how much will he be worth ?
Certainly not £60m that's for sure.

And what if he turns out to be another Adel Taraabt? If we can get our money back or get a quality player In exchange, I believe he will go. Modric only cost £16m, Ndombele cost 4x that. For me we just can’t afford to take the risk of him having another nothing season, then we will have no way to recover our investment.

And what if he turns out to be another Adel Taraabt? If we can get our money back or get a quality player In exchange, I believe he will go. Modric only cost £16m, Ndombele cost 4x that. For me we just can’t afford to take the risk of him having another nothing season, then we will have no way to recover our investment.

That was big money for us at the time and pretty much our record fee.

I don't think anyone ever doubted Modric's attitude, commitment or fitness. There were those that thought he was too small, not strong enough to play in midfield. Modric was a starter from practically day one here. Tanguy barely gets off the bench. It's 2 different situations entirely.

Second this

Poch said it might take this long

He's worth waiting for

If you're waiting on him putting 100% effort in for the side, you'll be waiting a long fucking (expensive) time. He could barely be arsed sprinting before he contracted that horrible shite.

Wonder if shit tonnes of money would mean a better prognosis and quicker recovery etc.

Sell sell sell if we can IMO.

Let's bring on the disagrees and excuses boys! It's never his fault - it's the racist media, dinosaur Mourinho, impatient and uneducated fans...! Whose fault this time?

Guy's a disaster. Get rid.

Back
Top Bottom