Supporting Tottenham in the 60s.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

9 October 1968, Spurs 2 Manchester United 2, Cliff Jones final Spurs game and he scores. He was the last of the double team to play for Spurs.

First went in 69-70 so not really qualified to comment but the older people i went with couldn't help comparing all the mid sixties players with the double side. It's why Alan Mullery got grief as did Terry Venables. It is quite incredible for me to think that it was only 8 seasons later than that great side when i went. I often wonder what odds you would have got that we wouldn't win the league in 49 years!

Only went to 2 games in the sixties as I was too young to get there on my own and needed someone to take me. We won both though. When I got a car and passed my test started going regularly at the start of the seventies. That is the time I remember most.
The thing that many newer fans will find it hard to believe is the lack of information in the early sixties. On Saturdays there was the scores for the pools on TV and if you missed that it was difficult to get the result until the next day's newspaper.
On weeknights you were lucky to get the results at the end of the late news but at my age I had to miss that and wait for the next days Newspaper. I remember one day for some reason I asked my Mum to write down the score of the match. She wrote Spurs 2 Cardiff 3. Losing a match at home to Cardiff, couldn't be true and I was convinced she got it wrong. However when I finally saw the result in the paper it was correct. Just shows how the confidence levels were so much higher in those days. Every season I thought we had a good chance of winning the league.
When I now look back now perhaps with the players we had we should have won the league more than once in the sixties.

Just before my time. Started following the fortunes of the mighty Lilywhites in (Feb) 1968 buy i was only 7 and living in the far East so didn't really start ''supporting' the team until around 1970/71 and went to my first game in 1972.

Wow, that is some claim to fame - have you mentioned it before? If that were me, every man and his dog would know about it.
I had a conversation with your great uncle, Danny's younger brother, Jackie at a Player of the Year dance. I didn't know much about him, but he told me that he was a survivor of the Munich air disaster. He came over as a really nice man and a character.
Would be great to hear more stories from your dad about the old days.

One other thing people might not believe is that Spurs and Woolwich never played at home at the same time.
Not because of crowd trouble but so that locals could watch a match, one week Spurs the next goons!!
My uncle always went to both, the only entertainment available then...always loved Spurs best tho!

I could never do that

As soon as I became a Spur I hated Woolwich with a passion and still do although the Chavs and the Dippers have overtaken them in my hatred

Woolwich to me now are another Spam

Like an irritating mosquito

I could never do that

As soon as I became a Spur I hated Woolwich with a passion and still do although the Chavs and the Dippers have overtaken them in my hatred

Woolwich to me now are another Spam

Like an irritating mosquito
same for me . Football is completely tribal , Arse (historic) and the Chavs are on an equal level of dislike .
The Chavs with their plastic/tourist/old school right wing fan , a blend worse than anyone .
Honestly l don't feel the hate for spam as l was brought up in leafy South London on the verge of the country , where they had no influence .

Just before my time. Started following the fortunes of the mighty Lilywhites in (Feb) 1968 buy i was only 7 and living in the far East so didn't really start ''supporting' the team until around 1970/71 and went to my first game in 1972.
pretty much my story
really got into football in 67 (dad was in the RAF and we were in Singapore) and we didn't get back until jan 70
went to my first home game in 71

Ah, but back in those days there was no rotating squads the same players played. Every league game, (42) back then and every cup game bar injuries. The th.
No pens in FA cup ties either. And none of this nonsense about Plod needing 10 days for a replay. Sat-Weds-Sat-Weds...tough titty!!

On the "no diving cunts" bit - have you forgotten Franny Lee? I remember him also punching the ball into our net in the 1970's. Feck me, VAR would have had a field day with some of the stuff that went on.

s-l225.jpg

After Googling,its the one at the top. Mick Stead? Help an old boy out someone.
What you've got there, are the signatures of

Xhiuk Snail - the speedy Korean winger
Chis San - Chinese right back, good crosser but awful in defence
Shunt Beans - Captain of the USA Saccer team
Eolie Fee - French box to box midfielder

You're welcome!

My old man used to go in the glory days.

Was there against Gornik with my mum in the East Stand.

Dave Mackay is still his hero.
Same with my father. He would have watched just about every home game in the sixties. I remember the
big pile of match day programs he had.

For anyone that has Amazon Prime, just to let you know that 'Those Glory Glory Days' is now included to watch as part of your subscription.

Our team arguably in the decade of the 60s would be our finest? Before my time and only by what I’ve read but in terms of honours and individuals Greaves,MacKay,Blanchflower,Smith,White ect I’ve no reason to doubt it! But can I ask and this for our erm.....more mature fans of the current squad and possibly before who would have matched up to the 60s team? Difficult I know but say Gascoigne,Hoddle or Ardilles would they have cut mustard? Kane surely! Eriksen,Son,Winks? Football in the 60s was hard I know that but take that out put it on a skill level alone is Kane or will Kane be as good as Greaves? Eriksen and MacKay as good as each other but in different ways?

Kane will never be as good as Greaves but different types of players and will be better than Bobby Smith
Greavesie had electric pace
Phenomenal

Mackay was the best midfielder ever
We’ll never see his like again
Sadly

I am a big Alan Gilzean fan, he was the consummate player for Spurs and he was the best header of the ball I have ever seen. Him and Greaves lethal!

My dad took me to my first Spurs game in 1958 when I was 7 years old.

It was the start of what was to be a sometimes painful journey of following the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

My first painful experience occurred a few years later during the summer holidays.

Me and 3 other boys from The Hood were bored.Some bright spark came up with the idea of going to the Spurs training ground at Cheshunt ,watch the team train and collect a few autographs.

Sounded like a good plan so the next day 4 of us set off for sunny Cheshunt.

3 of us wearing shorts and 1 wearing long trousers.

Wr decided that the best method of approach was probably to sneak in at the back of the ground.

Less chance of us being spotted and thrown out.

Started making our way through the undergrowth heading towards the players we could see in the distance.

It took us a while to work out that we were walking through a patch of stinging nettles.
Not something you should be doing wearing short trousers.
To add insult to injury we realized that the first tram were not training that day.

I went to games with my dad until I started secondary school,when I started going with my school mates.
As close to the half way line below the shelf was our preferred spot.Getting into the ground by 1:30 normally achieved the objective.

Matches from that long ago do tend to merge in your mind unless there is something notable about them.

Tottenham v Aston Villa in March 1966 was one such game. Tottenham played superbly during the first half of that game and after the first few minutes of the second half were leading by 5 goals to 1.
It finished up 5=5 with us hanging on at the end. Great entertainment but we were lucky not to lose.

During the following season I started going to away matches outside of London.
Highlight for me was April 1967 FA cup semi final v Nottimgham Forest at Hillsborough.
We won 2-1 Frank Saul scoring one of the goals as he did in the final against the chavs.

Frank Saul was almost the forgotten man of that decade.
He made his debut during the double winning season playing 6 games and scoring 3 goals.
He was only 17 years old when he made his debut.
Sadly he never really fulfilled his early potential.

His reward for scoring two vital goals that helped us win the cup was to be transferred to Southampton as part of the deal that brought Martin Chivers to Tottenham.

All things bright and beautiful
All creatures great and small
All thing wise and wonderful
He gave us Frankie Saul

Onwards to January 1968

Drawn away to Man U in the cup

Chivers scored twice in 2-2 draw.
Replay tickets on sale Monday at 10am.

Monday morning came,went to school got my mark in the register left by the back door to go to join the queue for replay tickets.

Felt a tap on my shoulder turned around and found myself looking into the face of my deputy headmaster.He was not a happy man

Dragged me out of the queue.marched me back to school whilst giving me a lecture on how disappointed he was with me.Thought I might get away with a couple of detentions.No chance.Out came the cane.

Once again I suffered pain for my support of the mighty Tottenham Hotspur.

Two games in 1969 stand out in my memory.Only one of which involved us.

15th March 1969 WoolwichvSwindon league cup final

Myself and two of my Park Lane mates were there for extra time when Don Rogers took Woolwich apart on the mud heap that passed fora football pitch.

It was really hard not to cheer or laugh when the 3rd goal went in.
The misery surrounding us was incredible.
Grown men crying because they felt so humiliated.
It was truly magical.

Finally September 1969 away to Derby County\

We were shite deservedly hammered 5-0

Me and my mates just wanted to get back to London as quickly as possible.

A view not shared by lots of our fellow supporters.

I think we were about 20minutes out of Derby when we realized this train was not going to make it to London.

The train or what was left of the train limped in to Flitwick station where it came to a halt.

Probably waiting for the arrival of the PC Plodd and his merry men

The rest you probably know a few hundred of the train wreckers decided to go and see what damage they could do to a small Bedfordshire Town while the rest of us crossed the tracks and got a train to London.

Not Park Lames finest hour

Jimmy Greaves finest finisher I ever saw,Dave Mackay and Mike England two of the hardest men to have worn our shirt John White one of the most skillful Not forgetting the wonderful Cliff Jones.

Happy days

I want more of those stories mate. Brilliant stuff.

I couldn't imagine going to woolwich one week and THFC the next to be honest although i know it happened. The combinaiton games at Tottenham were more for me watching Ray Bunkell, John Cutbush, Tony Want, Phil Holder amongst others who didn't quite make it at Spurs. I knew every fact about our players in those days and would devour anything related to Tottenham. Now i just want us to win and couldn't tell you much about our modern team.
Used to go to lots of those games in the early 70's. Sometimes used to sit on top of the wooden steps right behind the goal. As there were only a few thousand people at Combination matches, we used to love it when the ball landed on the terraces and you had the chance to kick it back. Hurt your bloody foot though! And of course you had the old bloke giving you the 15 minute updates on how the first team were doing. There was always that anticipation when he went to the box to change the score. Would it be a goal to us - or to the home team?!!! If it was us who had scored, the tannoy would say; "and the scorer was Chivers"
Remember Ray Clarke - think he forged a career in Belgium. Also thought that Roy Woolcott might have made the grade.
Always used to buy a programme for reserve games. High quality paper too. Still recollect the sellers in the white coats outside the ground.
Useless stat: John Cutbush was the first Maltese player to play in an FA Cup final.

Back
Top Bottom