Supporting the team tomorrow

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Park Lane James

Johan Cruyff is a football genius
As we all know it's the final game of the season tomorrow. Plenty of ups and downs throughout the course of this season but after the first two games I think plenty would have taken the position that we face at 3PM tomorrow against Fulham. At one point it seemed as though we might challenge for the title, but a multitude of factors has meant that we surrendered our 10 point lead to the Gooners. We can still climb above them, though.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is to just say that no matter what happens tomorrow - we have to send the team off well. That means supporting them for 90 minutes, regardless of the scoreline. Too many times in the last few years have we been getting behind the team when the scores are even, and changing our tune when we go a goal behind. At Villa on sunday, plenty around us were more than happy to sing when the scores were level - but resort to name-calling, frustrating remarks towards the players etc when we went 1-0 behind. It's ridiculous quite frankly. If you're not prepared to get behind the team when we're in a losing position then you shouldn't be a football fan. No point riding the crest of the wave when times are good, and changing your tune when we look like we might lose. I know all football supporters are different, but some people really take it to the extreme. Like the bloke behind me at the Leeds home game a few seasons back that wouldn't celebrate a Tottenham goal simply because Crouch had scored. Cunt.

Anyway, if you're going to the game tomorrow - get behind the team. Don't stop doing so until the final whistle. Some may think that it doesn't make a difference, but it really does. We have to remember that the season isn't over until that whistle is blown. Even if it's 1-1 in the 4th minute of injury time - we can still get a goal and finish 4th, or potentially 3rd.

Stay until the final whistle, and clap the players round the pitch afterwards.

Come on You Spurs. I'll see you lot in the Bell & Hare (I'll be the tall geezer most likely falling over his own feet).

If anyone leaves be for the 90th minute and doesn't clap off the team just give them grief.

Ramsingh said:
If anyone leaves be for the 90th minute and doesn't clap off the team just give them grief.
I usually do (people leaving far before the final whistle if we haven't won). They usually give me one look and walk off. They KNOW that they shouldn't do it, but don't have the balls to say anything to me.

Id only leave if the performance was shit (and ive seen a few in my time at the Lane over the years), or i need to get a train quickly. Giving the team grief just cos they arent winning is schoolground stuff to me. All i want to ever see is a good performance, preferably an attacking one, but a good defensive performance with commitment pleases me just as much. Good football is what its about, its why im Spurs, its in the (lilywhite) blood of the club and the shirt. Would I prefer to watch shit long ball football in the CL.... or attractive football in any other competition? Its the latter for me every time. The game is about glory, not boring the other lot to death, as Mr Blanchflower wisely said.

There are sort of two different Tottenham supporters inside of me. One that is starving for the club to win all the trophies going, and one that doesn't really give a fuck as long as Tottenham is still around playing football against other clubs. I let the first one loose when we win things and taste success. If we lose out tomorrow the second one will be at the Lane. There's a third party to this split personality bullshit analogy too: a drunken nobhead.

S.L.R said:
There are sort of two different Tottenham supporters inside of me. One that is starving for the club to win all the trophies going, and one that doesn't really give a fuck as long as Tottenham is still around playing football against other clubs. I let the first one loose when we win things and taste success. If we lose out tomorrow the second one will be at the Lane. There's a third party to this split personality bullshit analogy too: a drunken nobhead.

haha, I completely understand. I fucking love this team, it really filled an empty spot in my life. Part of me is desperate to see this squad perform at the level that I think they can, and should, be performing at. Winning in style really strikes an orgasmic funny bone. I felt like rape after the Newcastle game a few months ago.

Then again, the other part of me is terrified about what the club might become if we become CL regulars and a perennial "Big Team." I hear so much about how the atmosphere has fallen off in recent years with the continued rise of the club. That really scares me. I can't help but think that by the time I'll have the resources to catch a game at WHL (Or the Northumberland Development Project), the atmosphere will be stale.

Ultras need to take charge... After I catch my first Spurs game at WHL I don't want to be able to talk right for a week. I've lost my voice after many a sporting events. I don't want that to change.

Stag said:
Id only leave if the performance was shit (and ive seen a few in my time at the Lane over the years), or i need to get a train quickly
Even on the last day of the season?

Not staying behind not to clap the team during the lap of honour is criminal IMO.

Smoked Salmon said:
Stag said:
Id only leave if the performance was shit (and ive seen a few in my time at the Lane over the years), or i need to get a train quickly
Even on the last day of the season?

Not staying behind not to clap the team during the lap of honour is criminal IMO.

Oh yeah, of course... Always stayed for that. Also helps that im probably going to get wasted after it so no rush to get anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom