Summer window reflection.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Four. 2 good premier league signings with Bissouma and Richarlison. Perisic ok for a year i suppose but not a fan of buying players that old. Udogie will hopefully be good. Forster, Spence, Lenglet just a waste of time. We needed a younger keeper to push and replace Lloris and a first team centre back and RWB. It was clear last season, during the summer and even clearer now.

Please mark the summer window after having time to reflect what benefit the signings have been to the first 11 and your reasons.
Out of ten.
On the one hand we've been hit with injuries pretty badly lately. On the other hand it seems like the club either couldn't communicate with Conte over which players were acceptable, or couldn't actually get him anything acceptable.

Richarlison, Perisic and Bissouma alone are great signing for us. Lenglet was a good loan imo, but it appears we were made to look naive in our fruitless pursuit of Bastoni, which is of course a failure and bad. And no matter how good Spence actually is or not, he was obviously a bad purchase at RWB if we weren't sure Conte would actually play him or not (unnecessary risk and opp cost).

8 in terms of what we actually got. Cause Richy, Yves, and Perisic are all great buys for us. I honestly didn't think we would be able to sign them. I'm still shocked we shelled out 60m for Richy.

2 in terms of getting what Conte wanted. Failing to get a better RWB he would actually play looks sad and embarrassing for us. Not getting a LCB and having to loan Lenglet is a half-save but still looks pretty bad also.

Guess that averages out to a 5. It seems insane, but even despite all this, we could easily go on a run and stay very much in the race for 3/4 if we get our attack healthy again.

I think it was OK. I think we are a stronger, deeper squad than last season. Lenglet, Perisic, Richy and Bissouma all look like proper players and Udogie might be a very wise signing. Following on from the winter and Romero, seems like we can invest properly. However, Son has gone from asset to liability and with Deki missing a lot of time, we have had no success on the counter since the international break. We also have to be honest that ENIC waited so long to invest, it will probably only help us stand still at best.

But it's actually the previous three summers that are killing us. We spent in a very haphazard way and have a 60 million and 45 million AM out on loan, have spent nothing on LCB, paid 55 million for Sarr, Rodon and Gil, have a 28 million LB out on loan.

Certainly has had little improvement to the first 11. Richy looks good/ok but little impact, Biss improving but a reluctant starter under Conte and Perisic a short term improvement .
Really no Wow going forward.
No real major issues successfully addressed such as wingbacks , creativity, central defenders. At the moment a wasted opportunity.
3/10

4th in the league.
More points than this stage last season.
Through to the knock out stages of the CL.

Bissouma coming good, Lenglet playing ok, Perisic assisting and playing well

Shame that pretty much our entire front line is wiped out with injuries.

Bottom line is that we're in much better shape than last season.

4th in the league.
More points than this stage last season.
Through to the knock out stages of the CL.

Bissouma coming good, Lenglet playing ok, Perisic assisting and playing well

Shame that pretty much our entire front line is wiped out with injuries.

Bottom line is that we're in much better shape than last season.

Agree, from 2016 until 2020 we didn't get any decent automatic first team starters in despite spending £120m in 2019 to get Ndombele, Lo Celso and Sessegnon in - probably our best buys from the 4 years 2016- 20 were Sanchez and Sessegnon (which is very very disappointing), And whilst spending money poorly our first team players from 2015 and before were obviously aging, which is why the rebuild is bigger - same position as Klopp and Liverpool faced 5 or so years ago.

Also worth remembering that in our last 'good' summer of 2015 whilst we brought in Son and Alderweireld (both great signings) we also brought in N'Jie (a flop) and Dele (who self imploded after a great couple of seasons) whilst Son took a season to come good.

So for those looking for a perfect window of incoming players - might be better to change sport to prevent despair as transfer windows are rarely as perfect as January 2022 when Kulusevski and Bentancur arrived - and if you look at the start of their threads you will note it took a month or three for many posters to think they were any good at all - in fact originally they were branded as flops !

So it should have been apparent that it would probably take 3+ good summers to bring in players able to play in the first team for us - recognising as well that not all player acquisitions will work out, and some will take a year or so to settle.

So on that basis :

Forster - Bought as back up GK, having been motm for Southampton causing Woolwich to droop the points that gained Spurs the CL place - so maybe that will remain his biggest achievement for Spurs ? Not tested as Lloris remains a good GK. We may well look for Lloris successor either next summer or the summer after, but that doesn't mean getting an HG gk in Forster wasn't a bad move to get cover now.

Spence - Disappointing that Conte hasn't played him, but maybe that will change. Despite TFC best scouting no top RWB's were found to be available, so we missed nothing by taking a chance on Spence who might still come good

Lenglet - Despite well publicised chasing of the likes of Bastoni, no quality LCB's available so a one year loan/'try before you buy' is a solid pragmatic solution which is working out well. Personally not sure if we should buy or not - that will depend upon who else is available next summer and how Longlet performs in 2nd half of season, but a pragmatic loan as said.

Perisic - Top LWB in Italy last season, looking good for Spurs, so a decent 'free' purchase despite being 32 - and might well help Sessegnon and Spence learn how to be top WB's

Udogie - Only seen at a distance playing in Italy but could be sensational over next few seasons, although not helping us this season.

Bissouma - Looked best CM outside top 4 last season, has taken a little time to adapt due to covid but he's starting to look the player of last couple of seasons. So if that form continues, he's a great buy.

Richarlison - A top class striker who can cover both Kane and Son for £60m. Not seen enough of him due to injuries etc, but a solid pro for the rest of the season and next few seasons.

So 7 signings in with a mix of long term development and immediate gratification,

A good solid window leaving our squad stronger than last year - and leaving us in a good position to upgrade individual players in the current squad over next summer or two.

So the window is a solid 7/10

i think the players we got in are good additions.

richarlison - was needed for depth in the front line, plays for brazil so cant argue with his pedigree.

perisic- is a classy player, albeit at the end of his career but has still racked up plenty of assists through quality deliveries.

forster- good solid backup keeper, probably should have been used by now as lloris has not been great and is up to old tricks again.

bissouma- showing his quality now he looks more settled, think hes going to be a big player for us for many years.

spence- not had a chance but come with big hype, we will see how this turns out.

lenglet- underused at first but now hes playing and getting a feel for it at CCB i think he looks good, i have him as our second best defender after romero so hes improved the first team, upgrade on davies and dier (not that its hard)

you can only say we are weak in defence now, we need 2 quality CB's, a better keeper and some competent wing backs. get them in and things are looking very good.

I thought it was a decent window. Got players we needed issue is we needed a lot of players, still need 2CB’s, another RWB and a player to compete with Kulusevski.

It wasn’t the window that was the problem it was the state of the squad prior.

I'd say Perisic is the standout signing so far with Bissouma rapidly growing and likely to take over.
Richarlison is unlucky.
Not sure what the point in Forster and Spence was.
Lenglet is a loan that I can't really mark. He's not as bad as I feared after the Barcelona debacles.

I'd say Perisic is the standout signing so far with Bissouma rapidly growing and likely to take over.
Richarlison is unlucky.
Not sure what the point in Forster and Spence was.
Lenglet is a loan that I can't really mark. He's not as bad as I feared after the Barcelona debacles.
Forster = an upgrade on Gollini and HG so that's a plus.

Fair on all the others

Forster = an upgrade on Gollini and HG so that's a plus.

Fair on all the others

I don't doubt it but he hasn't done anything other than be a dressing room voice by the looks of it.
I doubt he'll start on Wednesday which will be a travesty with a) the number of games and b) the patchy form of Lloris

i think the players we got in are good additions.

richarlison - was needed for depth in the front line, plays for brazil so cant argue with his pedigree.

perisic- is a classy player, albeit at the end of his career but has still racked up plenty of assists through quality deliveries.

forster- good solid backup keeper, probably should have been used by now as lloris has not been great and is up to old tricks again.

bissouma- showing his quality now he looks more settled, think hes going to be a big player for us for many years.

spence- not had a chance but come with big hype, we will see how this turns out.

lenglet- underused at first but now hes playing and getting a feel for it at CCB i think he looks good, i have him as our second best defender after romero so hes improved the first team, upgrade on davies and dier (not that its hard)

you can only say we are weak in defence now, we need 2 quality CB's, a better keeper and some competent wing backs. get them in and things are looking very good.
A goalkeeper, two centre backs and two wing backs is half a team. I watched Villa yesterday. Cash and Digne are better than what Spurs have in the WB positions. Any team would be better for 5 new players.

I thought it was a decent window. Got players we needed issue is we needed a lot of players, still need 2CB’s, another RWB and a player to compete with Kulusevski.

It wasn’t the window that was the problem it was the state of the squad prior.
yea kulu needs competition and we probably need to look at replacing son in the summer too. jan we need to get some better defenders in or we could be pushed back years if we dont make top4. the fact we only have 2 competent CB's in a position that has 3 slots is worrying. going into big games with a dier, sanchez or davies in your side is weak.

5 out of 10.

Thought finishing 4th and getting into the CL with a world renowned manager, gave us a serious chance to put a quality gap between ourselves and Woolwich, man U.
Think the purchases apart from Bissouma were underwhelming

saying that i think we ere also hampered by not getting proper money for Ndombele, Lo celso, Winks, and nothing for sanchez, doherty, emerson or Lucas

I don't doubt it but he hasn't done anything other than be a dressing room voice by the looks of it.
I doubt he'll start on Wednesday which will be a travesty with a) the number of games and b) the patchy form of Lloris
I think he will start funnily enough.

Although I think Doherty will start at RWB, when it should definitely be Spence.

Back
Top Bottom