Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

GLC was never fit consistently when Maddison was out. Story of his career.

I don’t think we sign Ugarte tbh and Onana isn’t even close to an upgrade on Bissouma. Biss needs competition to force him to be consistent
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Onana. He's very good at winning aerial duels which has been one of our biggest issues this season with defending set pieces. That gets improved instantly if he signs. Bissouma doesn't win headers.

He's a good tackler as well. He's good at winning the ball back high up the pitch the moment it gets lost. That prevents a lot of transitions from occurring which has been another issue for us this season and can keep the play alive instead of constantly breaking down leading to counters. He has good positional sense as well to cover spaces during those transitional phases and just out of possession generally.

He can retain possession as well due to his physicality allowing him to shield the ball and hold onto it for longer. We've had issues just keeping the ball this season which leads to us turning it over more often.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Onana. He's very good at winning aerial duels which has been one of our biggest issues this season with defending set pieces. That gets improved instantly if he signs. Bissouma doesn't win headers.

He's a good tackler as well. He's good at winning the ball back high up the pitch the moment it gets lost. That prevents a lot of transitions from occurring which has been another issue for us this season and can keep the play alive instead of constantly breaking down leading to counters. He has good positional sense as well to cover spaces during those transitional phases and just out of possession generally.

He can retain possession as well due to his physicality allowing him to shield the ball and hold onto it for longer. We've had issues just keeping the ball this season which leads to us turning it over more often.
If you’ve seen all that then fair enough.

I haven’t seen all that tbh

If you’ve seen all that then fair enough.

I haven’t seen all that tbh
Winning aerial duels and tackles are by far his biggest strength, even the stats show that. I'm sure you've been able to see at least that much from him.

I don't think he's great on the ball, but he is able to keep the ball which would benefit us. Retention has been an issue this season for us.

Veeeery different.

Gyokeres more like Kane and wants to be a target man but also drop into pockets.

Openda is like a Suarez or Aguero type. Making runs, finishing, harassing defenders.

Openda also great in the air and is a strong fucker even if he's 5'10. Would be knocking defenders off balance and making runs between CBs.
Much more suitable for Ange, so.

It's a bit strange our fans still hanging onto this narrative as if Gallagher is some scrub with no tekkers when we saw what he did to our midfield with a supposed higher technical level a couple of weeks ago, we couldn't get near him, more to the point some of our players have gone missing in these past few weeks but Gallagher has always shown himself for them even when they weren't playing well.

“Couldn’t get near him” What a load of bollocks. He was barely in the game and hardly saw any of the ball. He only completed 22 passes all game, Bissouma did more than double that in 60min. Sarr and Bentancur the same in 30 minutes. Our midfield dominated the ball that game (63 possession) it was our forwards that were shite. He was a busy little fucker as usual, without the ball, but let’s keep it real.

I don’t hate the idea of Gallagher as much as some, in as much as we could replace Hojbjerg, Bentancur and Skipp’s skill set with one HG player - as long as that’s what we do and clear out that dead wood.

He could be a Rice/Henderson type of up and downer who chips in with a handful of goals/assists whilst also being a defensive busy cunt with a good engine and decent mobility.

“Couldn’t get near him” What a load of bollocks. He was barely in the game and hardly saw any of the ball. He only completed 22 passes all game, Bissouma did more than double that in 60min. Sarr and Bentancur the same in 30 minutes. Our midfield dominated the ball that game (63 possession) it was our forwards that were shite. He was a busy little fucker as usual, without the ball, but let’s keep it real.

I don’t hate the idea of Gallagher as much as some, in as much as we could replace Hojbjerg, Bentancur and Skipp’s skill set with one HG player - as long as that’s what we do and clear out that dead wood.

He could be a Rice/Henderson type of up and downer who chips in with a handful of goals/assists whilst also being a defensive busy cunt with a good engine and decent mobility.

Bentancur isn’t deadwood and we’ll be rightly keeping him.

Other than that, I agree.

Gray is three years younger than Wharton though and is super hyped. Wharton's name was in the media but still fairly unknown.

I think Leeds would ask for £40m for Gray, and of course if they come up he's going nowhere.

Agree on Gallagher, but we already get that from Sarr, and peak Bentancur is basically a perfect #8 this system. We could buy Gallagher only for him to be redundant next year.

Elite #6's are like gold dust but they're also arguably the most important position in football, I don't think we can afford to go a season without solving that problem. Even if it's with a sub-optimal solution like an Onana or Uguarte. Every #6 bar Rodri has some trade-offs in terms of what they're strong/weak at.

Fair point. I do feel we should have made much more use of Gio while Maddison has been getting back to full fitness but having two injury-prone #10s isn't ideal. And maybe if we do bring Eze we should look to offload Kulu cos by then he really would be a bit redundant.
I've got a mate who is a Blackburn fan and said at the time Wharton was a better bet than Phillips and now reckons they have a brilliant 16 year old now?

ok

Yes I remember him yapping on about our massive warchest in summer 2018. Of course we then became the first club in history to spend nothing in one window. I called him out and of course got kicked off the forum for it.
Really? Who were you on there?

I remember that window on SC, but don't recall any ITK being called out other than that clown aquayid, or whatever his name was.

Winning aerial duels and tackles are by far his biggest strength, even the stats show that. I'm sure you've been able to see at least that much from him.

I don't think he's great on the ball, but he is able to keep the ball which would benefit us. Retention has been an issue this season for us.
I'd argue that's more an issue with our forward line than our midfield TBH. They don't really recycle the ball well enough when their options are limited, and are generally poor at protecting the ball when their back is to goal.

I agree with the sentiment that a quality DM would stiffen our spine significantly, but I think upgrading the frontline would go further towards improving our ball retention.

I really haven't seen that much of Onana to form an opinion, but is he a player that would improve us over the long term, or would he end up surplus as we look to progress further?

I'd argue that's more an issue with our forward line than our midfield TBH. They don't really recycle the ball well enough when their options are limited, and are generally poor at protecting the ball when their back is to goal.

I agree with the sentiment that a quality DM would stiffen our spine significantly, but I think upgrading the frontline would go further towards improving our ball retention.

I really haven't seen that much of Onana to form an opinion, but is he a player that would improve us over the long term, or would he end up surplus as we look to progress further?
Agreed, the forwards need to retain in the final third as opposed to always looking for the final ball because it won't always be on and it'll just lead to more turnovers.

I still think having a player like that is useful in stopping transitions, because they will inevitably occur just due to the way we play. But the root issue of those transitions occurring in the first place, the inability to retain, would definitely still need to be addressed.

I think he improves the team at the moment. As for the long term, I don't really know. I saw Jesus improve the scum his first season to title contenders and he's already seen as a surplus in his second season with them.

Things move quickly in football. Any of us can spot good players, I suppose it's questions like that where the recruitment team earns their money.

Really? Who were you on there?

I remember that window on SC, but don't recall any ITK being called out other than that clown aquayid, or whatever his name was.
Does it matter who I was?

Plenty of people called him out, as they do every year as he's a Grade-A bullshit artist. And plenty of people get kicked off there cos the mods are trigger-happy and desperate to protect their precious fake ITKs so they can justify asking for donations whenever they come round with their begging bowl

What’s his fee likely to be?

Wharton was an initial 18m and had a bigger CV possibly.

Championship players don’t go for huge fees. If Leeds go up, the fee does too.

Gray would get minutes rotation at RB and some CM. I think mostly RB to start with.

Gallagher gives you pressing and ball winning. I just don’t see an elite level #6 Out there this summer.

We need competition for Maddison not a back up. He gets injured from all the hacks he takes. Eze or MGW can both compete to start with him imo. We had zero creativity since Maddison’s first injury and he’s only just getting back in form again now. Can’t be in that position again.

CHO can play either side. Summerville is pretty much LW only you are right
On the Madders competition, I can see that being a combination of Kulu and Bergvall this year with a view to Kulu being replaced by Devine or Donley in 25/26.

Back
Top Bottom