Summer Transfer thread - 2024

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This is the problem with fans. the hate is so strong you cant have a sesnible discussion
I don’t hate Newcastle. I hate our own fans bowing down to other sides though.

But, always happy to chat. Out of their squad, I’d take Isak, Gordon, Barnes and Bruno. All good strong signings. The rest of their squad doesn’t compare favourably to ours in my opinion. The league table suggests I’m not too wrong there (they had six CL matches that they vaguely turned up for and a lot of injuries but so did we).

I’d put our signing record and strategy over the last two or three years up against theirs every time.

Which of the signings they’ve made would you have rather we had?

We have had some decent players but lol at how much we have spent on the forward line in past 2 seasons? Nearly £150m and now everyone is saying we need new attackers. Fir that money we could have got great players already.

Forwards are expensive

Johnson has made a VERY promising start.

We will likely get a good chunk of money back from Richarlison and he’s been good when fit this season.

The transfer policy of this club is all over the place. It annoys me watching newcastle making signing after signing and building a squad and us scraping around for misfits

They picked up two free transfers, why is that such a thing to laud, I don't understand it, it's hardly a coup?

We went for the 'cheap options' (which so far have proved to be successes) last season and our fans had a meltdown?

At this point I don't know what the fans actually want, especially since our recruitment has vastly improved over the last few years?

They picked up two free transfers, why is that such a thing to laud, I don't understand it, it's hardly a coup?

We went for the 'cheap options' (which so far have proved to be successes) last season and our fans had a meltdown?

At this point I don't know what the fans actually want, especially since our recruitment has vastly improved over the last few years?

The hypocrisy is astounding amongst some.

The stereotypical bargain bin free transfer Levy specials are apparently to be applauded now because another club is doing them.

The stereotypical bargain bin free transfer Levy specials are apparently to be applauded now because another club is doing them.
When you aren’t as imbedded in an opposition club as you are your own, it’s easy to see other teams transfer successes, but miss their failures.

On the Newcastle thing specifically, they’ve done ok I suppose, but no better than us in the past few windows.

Which of the signings they’ve made would you have rather we had?
Gordon and Isak shit on our attacking signings. Richy and Brennan for 100m is shocking business in comparison.

Guimaraes is a top signing for 30m. Botman has also been great, Trippier brilliant value for money, Burn good too, Pope, Willock. Jury's out on Tonali, Livramento, Hall, Barnes, but I wouldn't bet against them coming good. And they look likely to beat us in the race for Tosin and Kelly which would have solved plenty of our HG headaches.

I did say, the fans have no idea what we want from the club regarding transfers, they're at a stage now where they'll react to everything negatively, it's boring.

Gordon and Isak shit on our attacking signings. Richy and Brennan for 100m is shocking business in comparison.

Guimaraes is a top signing for 30m. Botman has also been great, Trippier brilliant value for money, Burn good too, Pope, Willock. Jury's out on Tonali, Livramento, Hall, Barnes, but I wouldn't bet against them coming good. And they look likely to beat us in the race for Tosin and Kelly which would have solved plenty of our HG headaches.
So we’ve to sign Tosin and Kelly to solve HG headaches? Should we not be signing players to make us better. I’ve saw these two a few times this season and not I ever did I think they’d offer us something we don’t have. Let Newcastle sign them.

...........2 players that our own fans sneered at when linked with us, no less.

The irony here is off the charts.

I don’t know how any footballer can be a “proper” supporter of any club, as they’ve spent their lives playing the game, not watching it. Hearing stuff like “he’s Chelsea through and through” or “he comes from a Chelsea family” - I don’t take that seriously.
I agree. It probably kicks back in when they retire, but not while they are playing the game.
Loads of players who are highly regarded by fans of one club, grew up supporting the biggest rivals.

Jury’s out on Tonali?

Intentional pun? Because i thought he was found guilty and they dropped 70m on a player that was banned for a season and looked like he didn’t want to be there before it.

So we’ve to sign Tosin and Kelly to solve HG headaches? Should we not be signing players to make us better. I’ve saw these two a few times this season and not I ever did I think they’d offer us something we don’t have. Let Newcastle sign them.
Yes mate we do need HG players if we want a full squad for Europe.

And if you don't buy HG players to fill your 4th CB it means you need them elsewhere, which leads you to make Brennan Johnson level mistakes in your front line.

Agree that Gordon and Isak make our expenditure on Richarlison and Johnson (although first season and done okay) somewhat
questionable.

I think for me the key difference is not just quality but looking as though the questions of playing at or for a club of our size can be answered.

The unknown bit and it's nearly impossible to answer is whether Isak and Gordon would be as good for us? I'm genuinely not so sure.

Guimares would have been a sure fire hit. Believes he can play for anyone by the look of him..

Back
Top Bottom