Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Found this tweet amongst Forest fans quite interesting. Seems a lot of them would be happy to let him go which tbh is never a good sign. A lot of negative opinions on him in there.
View: https://x.com/louiswheeldonns/status/1695757739455091015?s=46

It's copium. We had some Spurs fans claiming Richarlison would be a better fit for Postecoglu than Kane when it was obvious Kane would go.

It's always better to see what the fans were saying mid-season.

How did you come to that conclusion? Would be 76 goals, most season we never came close to that, even with Kane. The 16/17 season was the only time we matched or beat that tally.
rich 15-20
kulu 10-15
son 10-15
maddison 10-15
bissouma 4-6
sarr 5-8
romero 2-4
VDV 2-4
porro 5-7
dog 5-7

rest of the squad 10 or so between them. i reckon all of that is doable providing no big injuries of course.

You don't get to do a lot of that when you are pushed up high and have the oppo squeezed into their third.
Even against Brentford, who are in the bottom 1/4 for possession in the league, there were times where Kulusevski could have gotten in behind if he had more pace.

More and more teams are playing/defending higher up the pitch in the PL each season, in fact there are probably only about 6 or 7 that don't now (Forest, Everton, Brentford, West Ham, Sheff Utd, Luton and Palace) and even they will have situations where they eventually push up if they are losing.

Not saying Johnson is the answer, but someone who is that quick would be very useful.

Even against Brentford, who are in the bottom 1/4 for possession in the league, there were times where Kulusevski could have gotten in behind if he had more pace.

More and more teams are playing/defending higher up the pitch in the PL each season, in fact there are probably only about 6 or 7 that don't now (Forest, Everton, Brentford, West Ham, Sheff Utd, Luton and Palace) and even they will have situations where they eventually push up if they are losing.

Not saying Johnson is the answer, but someone who is that quick would be very useful.

I am not a fan of Kulusevski. I like quick, but preferably when it's attached to some brain or craft.

rich 15-20

Trying Not To Laugh Social Media GIF

Everyday we seem to be linked to some new striker. But who should we get? Ferguson - 110 million.. David 50-60 million.. Vhalovic- 50 million..Orban 30 million. I'd be happy if we signed any one of them. Ferguson could end up a superstar but 100+ million for a guy that has scored 8 goals seems massively over the top. Orban looks great but plays in the weakest league. Personally I'd plump for Vhalovic. What do most fans want?

We need another forward. The existing ones have been psychologically damaged by recent years and you can see with the newbies that they will respond to Ange more quickly and bring the incumbents along with them. If Johnson or whoever comes in, that might be enough to refresh Sonny and Richy.

Last edited:
It's nonsense. How many people does he really think he's reaching with that kind of video. How many people have time to watch 51 minutes of an incredibly boring man talking about football. Just give us the key info in a 5 minute vid, its not hard.

24,000 viewed his video in the opening four hours it was posted.

So he's reaching more than anyone thinks.

Pretty good info i.m.o.

Everyday we seem to be linked to some new striker. But who should we get? Ferguson - 110 million.. David 50-60 million.. Vhalovic- 50 million..Orban 30 million. I'd be happy if we signed any one of them. Ferguson could end up a superstar but 100+ million for a guy that has scored 8 goals seems massively over the top. Orban looks great but plays in the weakest league. Personally I'd plump for Vhalovic. What do most fans want?
Not Ferguson for anything like that fee. He could be amazing but that is a fee an established ayer commands not a kid who may have just had a purple patch. Who can say which it is at this stage? Even £60M would be a huge gamble. Just no way, it’s madness. If you can do a deal with add ons then fine but otherwise take a different punt.

Comparing Johnson to similarly priced (or more expensive) players in the same age range, Johnson’s 8 goals and 3 assists for a bottom of the table Forest side is more single season production than Doku, Madueke, Mudryk, Ferrán Torres, and Nico Williams have ever achieved in significantly higher scoring teams in the French, Dutch, Ukrainian, and Spanish leagues. Antony’s last season at Ajax he had 8 goals and 4 assists. Anthony Gordon’s best Everton season was 4 goals, 2 assists.

Hard to escape the conclusion that people are just being snobby because he’s from the PL and UK. Players from the PL always get judged way more harshly on these boards than unknown foreign players, just look what people were saying about Maddison before we signed him.

Last edited:
Comparing Johnson to similarly priced (or more expensive) players in the same age range, Johnson’s 8 goals and 3 assists for a bottom of the table Forest side is more single season production than Doku, Madueke, Mudryk, Ferrán Torres, and Nico Williams have ever achieved in significantly higher scoring teams in the French, Dutch, Ukrainian, and Spanish leagues. Antony’s last season at Ajax he had 8 goals and 4 assists. Anthony Gordon’s best Everton season was 4 goals, 2 assists.

Hard to escape the conclusion that people are just being snobby because he’s from the PL and UK. Players from the PL always get judged way more harshly on these boards than unknown foreign players, just look what people were saying about Maddison before we signed him.

In fairness most of the players you’ve listed to try and justify his signing have been utter failures.

(Not that I’m saying Johnson will be. But you’re right that Antony’s numbers were underwhelming for example and … they’ve remained underwhelming.)

Back
Top Bottom