Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like Ange. Was very skeptical at first but he’s growing on me. Think he’s got the right vibes for where we’re at and at least we’ll have some fun.

But he’s taking over a shit situation so I will manage expectations & if we exceed that then all the better. I think anything else is setting him up for unrealistic goals and that’s when people start blaming him for not reaching the unachievable.

*must...resist...trying...to...be...happy*

I’m all in on Ange because there is immediate evidence of good coaching and an attacking style of play. And I also have realistic expectations. Europe would be fine, Europa League with improvement in playing style and that’s a good first season.

Yeah the Grealish one I will never understand! Who wouldnt want £8 million plus Josh Onamah :levyeyes:
The season Onomah was on loan at Villa, he played 37 matches and scored 4 goals. Grealish played 31 and scored 3.

When you take that into account, it wasn’t the outrageous offer many believe it to be. Hindsight suggests it was laughable, but at the time, not so much.

Ange will do well if we give him good CB’s. You can’t play high line possession without big quick dominate CB’s. Even if Kane leaves I think the system will have some success but without good CB’s we will dominate games then concede stupid goals.

We have enough midfielders and AM’s in theory. Maddison, Lo Celso, Ndombele, Bentancur, Solomon, Kulusevski maybe young Devine with Bissouma, Sarr and Skipp in behind.

Much of our season simply rests on bringing two good CB’s in, for me more than even Kane staying.

I’m all in on Ange because there is immediate evidence of good coaching and an attacking style of play. And I also have realistic expectations. Europe would be fine, Europa League with improvement in playing style and that’s a good first season.

I’d agree with that, and I think there’s a solid shot he manages it.

The season Onomah was on loan at Villa, he played 37 matches and scored 4 goals. Grealish played 31 and scored 3.

When you take that into account, it wasn’t the outrageous offer many believe it to be. Hindsight suggests it was laughable, but at the time, not so much.

Judging Grealish by goals is dodgy. He’s never been a goal scorer. He’s always been extremely highly rated all the way from youth level (much higher than Onomah) because he’s an exceptionally talented ball carrier/facilitator.

IIRC the season we tried to sign him he was absolutely key for Villa and their go to man on the ball. His eye test has always exceeded the numbers.

Judging Grealish by goals is dodgy. He’s never been a goal scorer. He’s always been extremely highly rated all the way from youth level (much higher than Onomah) because he’s an exceptionally talented ball carrier/facilitator.

IIRC the season we tried to sign him he was absolutely key for Villa and their go to man on the ball. His eye test has always exceeded the numbers.
Exactly. Don’t need hindsight to know what a ridiculous approach that was

Yeh he is a bit like Dembele version of a winger, constant ball rentention/progression and drawing of fouls. Works fine for City who want to retain the ball.

It’s also why Kovacic is going to be a amazing signing for City in my view, as good as any player in the whole league keeping hold of the ball. He will fit City like a glove. Odd Chelsea selling their best midfielder to City, after James their best player last few seasons.

Not a clue, but probably shows his eye for talent wasn’t all bad. Think he had a positive influence on a few of our better signings too.

GLC/Tanguy were & are talented footballers who lots of scouts probably rated & their issues have been more mental or injury related than anything to do with talent.
I don't think it's fair really to just look at Ndombele and Lo Celso then say 'Poch couldn't spot talent.' He overhauled our squad when he came in and built a pretty bloody good one when he first came in, so unless he had absolutely no input on the successes, you have to say that he can pick a player, just that he doesn't have a 100% success rate.

There's not a single manager out there that does though.

GLC is one that I feel has a question mark over him though. I do feel that there is the talent there but, as you say, there were circumstances that led to him being a flop for us when he first got here. He had no injury history before us, was playing for Poch when he was fixated on that midfield diamond that failed badly, was in and out of the side through injury's etc, and would likely have been questioning being there with the manager churn.

Personally, I'd be happy to see if he begins to enjoy AP Football and starts to realise his own potential. He's first choice for his position with Argentina for a reason, and it's nothing to do with favouritism. Get him playing and we have a better midfielder than Liverpool will have with McAllister.

Ndombele I don't blame Poch for, as the vast majority of us felt he would be the perfect Dembele replacement.

If AP can get him playing anywhere near his potential, then that would vindicate the choice.

I'm not convinced he will, but I've seen stranger things happen.

I only quoted the goals for added context. But the appearance numbers would suggest that Onomah was pretty key to them that season. Might have been 30 appearances as a five minute sub, as I’ve not looked into this any closer, but to play that number of matches, more than the guy we were trying to sign, would suggest Villa were getting a decent deal there.

Again, hindsight shows us differently.

Perfectly happy having reasonable expectations, unlike you I won’t blame the coach if he hasn’t achieved top 4 after half-hearted attempts to back him.

You go all in on coaches and then knife them in the back later down the line.

Praise a coach when they're doing well and criticise them when they have fucked up? Oh my bad

Back
Top Bottom