Summer 2022 Transfer Thread.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This looks like a lot. 5(6?) new signings which was reportedly what Conte was asking for

Lloris/Forster/Austin
Romero/Sanchez/Dier/Lenglet/Davies/Tanganga
Doherty/Royal/Perisic/Sessegnon/(Spence)
Bissouma/Hojbjerg/Bentancur/Skipp
Kulusevski/Moura/Kane/Son/Richarlison

There is room for 1 more overseas player in that list (UEFA) and 1 more homegrown player to make a 25 man squad, which would make a total of 8 new signings. Adjustable depending on movement of course but still, it doesn't feel like enough, does it? Or does it?
that is a bloody strong squad. We need to be able to do what City and Liverpool do.That is to make 5 or 6 changes and not lose too much quality.
I think only Romero out would make a huge difference. He is so far ahead of the rest of our defence. Makes Eric look good.

He is not deluded at all. Bissouma could play for any of the top teams. Absolute top class. Sometimes players are not appreciated as they only play for Brighton.
He is easily our best signing.

Nah that's some Woolwich delusion right there, guy hasn't stepped foot in the CL yet, way to early to be saying that despite how good his potential might be.

that is a bloody strong squad. We need to be able to do what City and Liverpool do.That is to make 5 or 6 changes and not lose too much quality.
I think only Romero out would make a huge difference. He is so far ahead of the rest of our defence. Makes Eric look good.
So much still rests on how our wingback issues play out.

Perisic and Spence come in and hit the ground running and we are cooking.
Still stuck with Sess and Emerson playing the majority of games - we are fucked.
Doherty is a bit of a wild card, still don't know quite how good he is for us.

Where are Barca finding the money to buy kounde?

They're basically being given the chance to cheat FFP as far as I can see.
I'm sure most of their issue is purely official income vs outgoing that's limiting them. But there's potentially non earned cash somewhere. We know the likes of PSG and City have oil rich owners who are pumping cash in somehow. Barcelona probably are pretty rich but can't get the money in to the club in a way that "looks" Legit.

However, just like City, PSG, Newcastle etc, they'll get away with it. Whereas smaller clubs like the Leed's, the Evertons, the Derby's etc will get massive point deductions the moment they get out of shape and end up crashing massively.
IMO, given the rumours of players not getting paid millions, Barcelona should get at least a 12 point deduction, if not double that. But there's no way will Uefa/Fifa/La Liga have the balls to enforce that on a team that makes them money.
Edit: And they should be kicked out of European football.

Last edited:
So much still rests on how our wingback issues play out.

Perisic and Spence come in and hit the ground running and we are cooking.
Still stuck with Sess and Emerson playing the majority of games - we are fucked.
Doherty is a bit of a wild card, still don't know quite how good he is for us.

"Fucked" would be an overstatement but we could forget about the 'dark horses for a title chase' chatter.

Really pissing me off that the RB market is so lean atm.

Nah that's some Woolwich delusion right there, guy hasn't stepped foot in the CL yet, way to early to be saying that despite how good his potential might be.
He has however outplayed our midfield, Liverpool midfield and been strong against Chelsea and Man City. That's the best 4 teams in the league and better than most of Europe bar RM, PSG, Bayern etc.

Probably nothing in the Kounde links, but would be a great signing. I don't see why he couldn't play LCB.. plays the ball kind of similarly to Rudiger who plays as a right footed lcb. Would be a great option at Rcb or ccb. Not as if we'll go the whole season without a Romero/Dier injury. Could use Reguilon in a transfer. Seems very unlikely though.

He has however outplayed our midfield, Liverpool midfield and been strong against Chelsea and Man City. That's the best 4 teams in the league and better than most of Europe bar RM, PSG, Bayern etc.

Right so he needs to do it on a consistent basis at a bigger club in better competitions to be put in the conversation.

One off matches prove nothing, it's all about consistency especially at the highest level.

This is not me saying I don't think he'll get there, I think he will but saying he's one of the best mids in Europe is so premature.

So he'd rather not get paid by Barcelona than go to Man United

It's actually hilarious no one is reporting this how it should be reported.
IE, Dutch player, won't sign for former coach and fellow Dutchman because Man United is no longer appealing to (barely) elite players.

IE, Dutch player, won't sign for former coach and fellow Dutchman because Man United is no longer appealing to (barely) elite players.

It's so weird how it has been reported - 'reached full agreement etc'.

All that is utterly irrelevant if the player doesn't want to go lol.

Right so he needs to do it on a consistent basis at a bigger club in better competitions to be put in the conversation.

One off matches prove nothing, it's all about consistency especially at the highest level.

This is not me saying I don't think he'll get there, I think he will but saying he's one of the best mids in Europe is so premature.

No club plays elite teams week in week out though.....

There's nothing wrong with your cautious judgement; but it's fair to say that being dominant against City, Liverpool, Chavs & Spurs in a Brighton team is more impressive than doing the same thing for one of said clubs.

I mean tbf, to a Dutch player with De Jong's skillset, it's easy to see why Barca would be considered the peak of his career. There's a reason he was desperate to go only there in the first place, to Ajax players that's considered the natural evolution, similar style of play/ethos, just a higher level.

But yes, United's pull is starting to drop off for sure.

The whole thing is weird.... Barca are frankly a disgrace and both United & De Jong are acting like simps.

Agree here. Barcelona are a fucking joke. Absolute biggest wank club around at the moment - honestly its borderline criminal, how they are acting.

If they folded tomorrow, I would dance on their proverbial grave.

No club plays elite teams week in week out though.....

There's nothing wrong with your cautious judgement; but it's fair to say that being dominant against City, Liverpool, Chavs & Spurs in a Brighton team is more impressive than doing the same thing for one of said clubs.

You play at an elite level week in week out though, Brighton aren't at that level, we are - the demands are different. This is how the top players get judged because they are able to marry the ability with the mentality and the pressure of playing for a bigger club under the spotlight.

It maybe fair to say it but does that put him up there with one of the best mids in Europe, I don't think so.

I mean tbf, to a Dutch player with De Jong's skillset, it's easy to see why Barca would be considered the peak of his career. There's a reason he was desperate to go only there in the first place, to Ajax players that's considered the natural evolution, similar style of play/ethos, just a higher level.

But yes, United's pull is starting to drop off for sure.
And the sun, city and guarantee to be battling for league title and (kinda) CL each season. At United it's crap weather most of the year, could end up scrapping for 4th place, might even end up playing conference league over the next few years.

Although, if they get Martinez, de Jong and a good forward I don't think they'll be too far off us, Chelsea and Liverpool next season.

Back
Top Bottom