Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Hmmm. Nah, don't think so. Level below VVD. As a pair they were fantastic though, perhaps a better partnership than VVD-Gomez.
Level below?

You should be ashamed
A player does not have to have 1 outstanding skill to be great. In fact, the ideal player wouldn't have 1 skill that stood out. You see how that would work Sammy? So it's a stupid point to make.

And his athleticism is why he's left to defend 1v1 and cover for Robertson. He is not average. And Harry will get no change from him. Not sure Bale will either.
Oh too many words pal.....you think you can blind someone into thinking you have a point.
You haven’t said anything.

Just random words

John Terry was better than VVD and I could name 20 defender in the PL era who were better.
No, you will name 20 defenders that you say are better. that wouldn't make them better. the league is miles beyond what it was and defenders are no longer playing against the odd foreigner and mostly English attackers. And beyond that there is more parity in the league which is why 1 random defender doesn't stand out from another.

Stop it with the nostalgia bollocks. Players today, on average, are better, faster, stronger than those in your recollection. The teams are better trained, more disciplined, more organized, and more fit. Sure, the 'game's gone' but it is a different game to back then. It sucks but all your heroes would be shit now. That's just life my man. The PL has gone through revolutions since it's started. Thankfully, we got Mou to bring back the glory years.

So basically you’re confirming my stance that he’s the “best” right now, because most of his peers are shite, but when put up against the best of all time he’s not even top 20.

And there’s better players out there as we speak.
No, I'm saying the reasoning that got you to your faulty conclusion was shit.

Children understand the game my friend, you’re not impressive.
Then what's your excuse?

And children do not understand the game. If children can understand the game then why the need for academies? The game is simple yet complex. And if you think that a child can properly understand football then perhaps that says more about your understanding of the game and not the ultimate level to which the game can be understood.

He’s not shit because he’s not a top ten all time defender though.

But surely the best CB in the world should one of the best all time?
No?

Ok good then.....he’s “world class“, but there are 50 world class CBs all head and shoulders above him.
How’s this work again?

He’s not even as good as John Terry was, and Ledley King was ten times the footballer.
Defending has changed, IMO for the worse. The demands to be a footballer are understandable. But when you have a top team with unlimited funds playing Stones and Ake CB things have gone too far. There has to be a balance that can be struck between ball-playing and defending.

VVD isn’t too 10 ever, but I’d have him top 6 all time PL and his balance between defending and footballing is good.

An element of arrogance has definitely negated his game in the last year though. There were times last season he appeared to think he was “too good to defend”. Still a brilliant player.

FYI, saw a Smalling joke of earlier - the guy is a brilliant defender. Would walk into our first XI.

Since we're on the subject of Van Dijk, here are some of his mistakes from the season before last. I'm pretty sure he's also gifted a goal this season as well. I always hear how great he is but the few matches I've seen him in I don't see him being some god amoungst men, he's a good CB but not one of the best ever from what I've seen.

Since we're on the subject of Van Dijk, here are some of his mistakes from the season before last. I'm pretty sure he's also gifted a goal this season as well. I always hear how great he is but the few matches I've seen him in I don't see him being some god amoungst men, he's a good CB but not one of the best ever from what I've seen.

You could also make a Youtube video of Kane and Aguero missing sitters, but I agree that he certainly isn't the best ever, just a very good CB.

You could even make a video which would suggest that Sissoko is a better passer of the ball than Scholes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom