Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

agreed that it’s incomprehensible.

Questions are tho:
1. which of the strikers who have transferred this window at the prices* they’ve gone for would you want?
2. Who would you like us to sign who is available?

i’m not asking from the vantage point of “see there’s no-one” as I think there ARE obviously strikers but from reading this thread there doesn’t seem to be any consensus on who. Hence the question.

*whilst I think we’re too tight for own good, prices of players DO matter as by definition there’s an opportunity cost for other squad movements both now and in the future. So whilst I personally liked the idea of signing Watkins, I’m more than happy that we didn’t entertain the idea of paying £30m

Mate, we are fans, amateur pundits but also sit on the scale of rational to lunatic but FFS nobody tell me we are so unique that we cannot find a suitable second striker.

I do not give a flying fcuk where that striker may come from, what they might cost or any other potsy metric, I just don't get the seemingly endless difficulty.

If you want in a microcosm why we have failed to win sh!t in so many years look no further than this issue.

It's mental.

Questions are tho:
1. which of the strikers who have transferred this window at the prices* they’ve gone for would you want?

i’m not asking from the vantage point of “see there’s no-one” as I think there ARE obviously strikers but from reading this thread there doesn’t seem to be any consensus on who. Hence the question.

*whilst I think we’re too tight for own good, prices of players DO matter as by definition there’s an opportunity cost for other squad movements both now and in the future. So whilst I personally liked the idea of signing Watkins, I’m more than happy that we didn’t entertain the idea of paying £30m

Nobody on this thread is a scout for Tottenham son, so why in the hell would we be running through loads of players we hope we can get ? People can express an
Opinion of who they like, but at the end of the day it’s down to our oh so great leader Levy and that Spurs scouting system to target and sign a proper back up striker for Harry. You know, that position we have been desperately clamming for a proper back up for the best part of 6 years. That position where we run our best player into the ground every season because our cunt of a chairman never rectifies this issue. Thankfully, supporters like you, who continue to make excuses for the utter shambles our board and Levy seem to provide us with every season are slowly diminishing. I can only pick a handful of people on here now that are still making excuses for the bald fraud.

Mate, we are fans, amateur pundits but also sit on the scale of rational to lunatic but FFS nobody tell me we are so unique that we cannot find a suitable second striker.

I do not give a flying fcuk where that striker may come from, what they might cost or any other potsy metric, I just don't get the seemingly endless difficulty.

If you want in a microcosm why we have failed to win sh!t in so many years look no further than this issue.

It's mental.

....Questions dodged.

Even when presented in good faith.

:pochunimpressed:

You have to believe Mourinho has assessed the squad fully by now and be clear on the quality it possess, where it sits by comparison to the main 5 or 6 teams of importance.

He must also know who needs to be jettisoned.

I just hope we are not faced with another season of players who are unfavoured but play because of a lack of options..

As a club we need a manager who knows what he wants and an owner who does all that is practicable to provide him with what that is.

Hmmmm.......

Agreed - Levy makes it clear in the documentary that most fans have little conception of how hard it is to complete a transfer (when you offer peanuts). Nevertheless, Mourinho stated last January "we need a striker" and we didn't get one.

Now, 4 days from the season starting in the following window, we still don't have a striker.

One injury to Kane and we are fucked (again). I don't care if buying a player is like climbing Everest, it doesn't change the fact that any possibility of success is contingent on buying a second striker.

Planning on the basis that Kane stays fit is idiotic. Enic will have failed if we don't buy a striker.

Questions are tho:

Thing is, it's not a matter of there being concensus among a bunch of folks on an internet message board, it's purely a matter for Mourinho to decide his first, second etc. choices from within the budget that he has agreed with Levy.

As Liverpool ably demonstrated with their pursuit of Jamal Lewis, when your first choice doesn't work out, move swiftly and decisively to ensure you get your second.

We've had months to work on this, we've known full well the need for much longer.

The Levy stuff can be exaggerated, but it’s a little disingenuous to demand internet fans name the exact player that they would take.

I don’t know. My profile photo is of a man holding a large wurst to taunt another’s manhood. That’s about the level of respect my opinion should command.

That said, it’s a basic question of competence. We should not find ourselves in the astonishing position, once again, of only having a single striker on our books. That would be reckless and certainly false economy as Levy would be destroying the value of his principle asset in Kane.

Still, I do think we will sign a striker. We wouldn’t have let Parrot go if we had no intention.

[...]

That said, it’s a basic question of competence. We should not find ourselves in the astonishing position, once again, of only having a single striker on our books. That would be reckless and certainly false economy as Levy would be destroying the value of his principle asset in Kane.

Still, I do think we will sign a striker. We wouldn’t have let Parrot go if we had no intention.

I'm positive the intention is there. It feels more like Enic are fumbling with player valuations and wage demands like a prom dates bra - pretty soon your date gets annoyed and fucks off to Villa.

When it works you get a player like Doherty for £15m. When it doesn't , you go a season with one striker who inevitably gets injured and our form falls off a cliff.

Wilson £20m, Schick £24m, Watkins £28m. That is the going rate for a decent if not world beating striker. Personally i'd rather we spent more on proper quality that can play with Kane and instead of and heaven forbid even step up if Kane decides to move on if things go pear shaped this season. What we're not going to get is a really good striker for less than £20m to £25m. If and its a big if we end up with quality in the next 2 or 3 weeks then fair enough i'll hold my hands up. If we end up with Deeney, Diallo, some other make do and mend loan or 34 year old then that is totally unacceptable. They have had 15 months on this, scrabbling around in the bargain bin after that length of time would be beyond amateurish.

I have zero faith in our scouting system, the guy in charge (Hitchen) seems like an absolute clown and frankly you coukd probably drop anyone from here with decent Googling and YouTube skills and there would be negligible drop in standards.

IF true that are targets are the likes of King, Wilson, Watkins etc and if Deeney is even being considered as a last ditch option then the whole lot should be sacked. WTF are they even doing with their time, literally anyone could knock up that list.

As we approach another new season with a woefully inadequate squad, and finding it seemingly impossible to find competition for our 1 solitary striker, a timely reminder why Levy, and €NIC, involved themselves in football

Eb80wIzUYAAi6jr

Maximum profit. Minimum investment

It had been a couple of weeks...

I have zero faith in our scouting system, the guy in charge (Hitchen) seems like an absolute clown and frankly you coukd probably drop anyone from here with decent Googling and YouTube skills and there would be negligible drop in standards.

IF true that are targets are the likes of King, Wilson, Watkins etc and if Deeney is even being considered as a last ditch option then the whole lot should be sacked. WTF are they even doing with their time, literally anyone could knock up that list.

Yeah I cant say I've been enamoured with the strikers we have been linked to.

I'm positive the intention is there. It feels more like Enic are fumbling with player valuations and wage demands like a prom dates bra - pretty soon your date gets annoyed and fucks off to Villa.

Agreed.

I do genuinely believe that Levy moves quickly, when he sees an opportunity. The difficulty is, he has a much more narrow concept of 'opportunity'.

My suspicion is what he absolutely hates is when scouts present him with a series of names, and those names are 28/29 years old, competent professionals who, as they are strikers, will cost £30 million plus. His gut must sink. Because he's probably thinking to himself 'why do I have to pay this much for insurance'?

And that's perhaps how he views extra players in a squad - insurance. It was instructive that he would say in the documentary 'how do you improve on players like Kane and Son', when, actually, he needs to think about *supporting* them rather than improving on them.

Thing is, it's not a matter of there being concensus among a bunch of folks on an internet message board, it's purely a matter for Mourinho to decide his first, second etc. choices from within the budget that he has agreed with Levy.

As Liverpool ably demonstrated with their pursuit of Jamal Lewis, when your first choice doesn't work out, move swiftly and decisively to ensure you get your second.

We've had months to work on this, we've known full well the need for much longer.

Yes but this gung ho approach doesn't factor in the very real risk of "doing a Leeds".

The football side is run like a two dime sideshow rodeo .
I don't care about the business side but that's becoming a f****** as well as it's not competitive enough for trophies.

Agreed.

I do genuinely believe that Levy moves quickly, when he sees an opportunity. The difficulty is, he has a much more narrow concept of 'opportunity'.

My suspicion is what he absolutely hates is when scouts present him with a series of names, and those names are 28/29 years old, competent professionals who, as they are strikers, will cost £30 million plus. His gut must sink. Because he's probably thinking to himself 'why do I have to pay this much for insurance'?

And that's perhaps how he views extra players in a squad - insurance. It was instructive that he would say in the documentary 'how do you improve on players like Kane and Son', when, actually, he needs to think about *supporting* them rather than improving on them.

And that son is why Spurs never win anything under this guy. He spends money with a view to potentially sell in future generally. You won’t see Levy go and spend big on say a 28 year old top player because he sees that as a potential loss. Everything Levy does is about potentially making money back in the future, where as if he actually sat down for a second and actually splashed on a couple of top slightly older players that have the experience of winning CL’s etc, there’s a strong possibility we would win trophies that would propel this club to even greater heights, meaning more profit through funds generated with success. We have a chairman that cares more about what goes on off field, than trying to establish success on it. It’s been this way for years and it will never change.

This is spot on. That, added to his comments on the doc, suggest hitchen isn't up to the job. If he isn't, he shouldn't be there. And THAT is on Levy

This is spot on. That, added to his comments on the doc, suggest hitchen isn't up to the job. If he isn't, he shouldn't be there. And THAT is on Levy
When you say "comments on the doc" I assume you mean the Amazon thing, right?

I haven't seen any of it, I read some of the posts about it but missed the stuff about this Hitchens bloke (who I must admit I'd never heard of before). What did he say?

Last edited:
When you say "comments on the doc" I ssume you mean the Amazon thing, right?

I haven't seen any of it, I read some of the posts about it but missed the stuff about this Hitchens bloke (who I must admit I'd never heard of before). What did he say?

He shuffled onto the screen looking like Phil Mitchell after a 48 hour cider bender, grimaced, said he hated the January transfer window and then shuffled back off.

Well we can only really sign home grown strikers - so its pretty likely the shortlist is going to be players that you've heard of

Back
Top Bottom