Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Walked away with 2 trophies at man u and they were in trouble before he got there. I don't blindly follow anyone but i have more trust in a manager that has proven he is one of the best in the business and will accept the football if it brings trophies

You have done nothing but moan and moan and moan about spurs not one positive thing said. We obviously ain't the club for you try city or liverpool you'll be happier

I will add, and it may not matter to you, I think firing Poch and hiring Jose was the right move at the time they did it. I love Poch and what he did but the team was stagnating under him and I think he was too close to a few of the players to make the tough choices with them. I think bringing in Jose to see if their was still some life in the team/core was worth it as he was as likely as any to get anything out of them if there was something left.

However, what I think was clear in his time here was that the team was done, in terms of being a top 4/CL level team. I think it was clear that there were a lot of holes with the club and what was truly needed was a major overhaul of players, if not a total rebuild.

I do not think that Jose is the best guy to do this. i don't think his tactics are effective for the modern game, I don't think his style is effective for building long term success and I think he is a poor fit for the squad we have and type of owner Levy is.

So you think Brozovic is the highest level of player that fits Jose system that we can get?

Again maybe it comes down to me expecting too much from this club but can't we get players that fit Jose's system and are at a high-ish level?

Or maybe bring in some young guys that fit Jose's system but also have some room for development as well?

I mean maybe this is what we are a club that gets the 27 year old scraps from Inter and insert them to their starting line-up.

There just seems like we could do so much more than a Brozovic-PEH two man pivot with GLC forced into another season of having to do all the work creating, linking up the back 4 with the forwards and making anything other than a routine pass from the midfield.
There are two things on all posts in this thread. The first is your distaste for Mourinho’s football and then there is your distaste for Brozovic as a footballer.

Would I want a team constructed in the same way as Jose? No. Could I see Brozovic doing an effective job in a Jose team? Yes.

You’re looking for creative deep midfielders, but if we are going to be primarily a team looking to manipulate the other team into coughing up the ball so we can exploit dangerous transitions then that kind of player is less important, although Brozovic is capable of playing forward well.

This breakdown of Inter last season shows that the first half of the season he was absolutely elite, and the 2nd half of the season his form suffered, although Inter as a team had loads of problems structurally - they got tired, other teams sussed out their tactics, etc.
5-Marcelo-Brozovi%C4%87-Serie-A-2019_2020.png

There are two things on all posts in this thread. The first is your distaste for Mourinho’s football and then there is your distaste for Brozovic as a footballer.

Would I want a team constructed in the same way as Jose? No. Could I see Brozovic doing an effective job in a Jose team? Yes.

You’re looking for creative deep midfielders, but if we are going to be primarily a team looking to manipulate the other team into coughing up the ball so we can exploit dangerous transitions then that kind of player is less important, although Brozovic is capable of playing forward well.

This breakdown of Inter last season shows that the first half of the season he was absolutely elite, and the 2nd half of the season his form suffered, although Inter as a team had loads of problems structurally - they got tired, other teams sussed out their tactics, etc.

I think distaste for Brozovic is a little strong. I just think we can do better. And really he is taking the brunt of my lack of ambition from the club which is really an extension of all the players we are bringing in.

My biggest issue with Brozovic is pairing him with PEH. If was coming in to play the role of PEH I would be much less against adding him in.

I think distaste for Brozovic is a little strong. I just think we can do better. And really he is taking the brunt of my lack of ambition from the club which is really an extension of all the players we are bringing in.

My biggest issue with Brozovic is pairing him with PEH. If was coming in to play the role of PEH I would be much less against adding him in.
I would say we need two 6s at the club, otherwise if we only bring in PEH and he does his ACL first game then we’re back to the utter shite that is Winksoko.

Honestly with Ndombele I don't need him to be tearing around like a loon out on the field and if it was just my concerns from watching him appear to be lazy on the field I wouldn't be that worried, but I am not sure how his off field fitness concerns from France both as a young player and in his time in Lyon, plus him showing up out of shape here in the summer can't be major red flags. It is the combination of his off field issues that match up with lackidasical play on the field that really worry me.

It would also be nice if he actually showed some skill in a Spurs jersey, but his supporters keep assuring us that it is there so I will try and give him the benefit of the doubt there.

i agree we need a player exactly like Ndombele's supporters think he is, I just have seen no evidence that he is that player.

I struggle to see how people miss what he brings. He breaks the lines with his dribbling and his passing. He has more goals and assists, in the limited minutes he had this year, than Sissoko. The moment he came on in his last appearance, can’t remember the game off the top of my head, he found Kane (offside) with a tasty through ball.

He might not bust the lung you want him to, but offensively, he has done more in his limited amount of time than GLC and Sissoko this year.

I struggle to see how people miss what he brings. He breaks the lines with his dribbling and his passing. He has more goals and assists, in the limited minutes he had this year, than Sissoko. The moment he came on in his last appearance, can’t remember the game off the top of my head, he found Kane (offside) with a tasty through ball.

He might not bust the lung you want him to, but offensively, he has done more in his limited amount of time than GLC and Sissoko this year.

I would say the same thing about struggling to see how people see what he does bring. He didn’t dribble past people, his passing was pedestrian at best highlighted by his big selling point being a pass that was only made because Kane was offside and the reason Kane was offside was because the pass hits the defender if he stays onside. That isn’t an impressive play. If he had moved so that the angle worked or changed the pass so Kane could stay onside great but he didn’t he just made a pass that led to nothing and created nothing.

As for GLC I am confused what people were watching if they didn’t think he created for us. He was the player able to move the ball from the back 4 to the front. It was his dribbling that broke lines. When he was able to get upfront he constantly worked well with Son and Kane to create space in tight because of his passing. Yes he didn’t get assists but he by far created more than any other player.

I will give you Ndombele was more impressive than Sissoko, great for him.

Of course we are.

Levy is in there with a one year, 10k/week offer so he can come out after the transfer window and we signed nobody and talk about how they tried to get guys but had to stay within their budget. Then his apologists can lick it up talking about how poor we are and that we can't be expected to compete with the Brentford's of the world when it comes to players.
Mate, its fine Brentford spent more than us. Brentford haven't got a stadium to pay for!!!

You’re arguing against Jose’s football is kinda pointless. For me, it’s not what I want to watch either, but as he’s gonna be here for at least the season I at least want him to have some players in to try and make it work. If it doesn’t then we can all move on.
Yes good point: Jose is there and he calls the shots, so as fans, even though we may not like some of the decision making, we have to back the club.

Back
Top Bottom