Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not at all super stars all of them, Janssen might have been a god in the 60's ... Hoddle is my all time favourite player (well maybe Stevie P) neither would get near our current first eleven based on their 1980's abilities.
How have you come to that conclusion though?
Are you saying Glenn Hoddle skill set is inferior to Deles?

Not at all super stars all of them, Janssen might have been a god in the 60's ... Hoddle is my all time favourite player (well maybe Stevie P) neither would get near our current first eleven based on their 1980's abilities.

Based on their abilities they would, fitness maybe not but as has been pointed out if they were playing today their fitness levels would match the players of today's generation. Footballers can always become fitter but you fill find it near impossible to make them more skillful or give them the hunger required to reach the top

How have you come to that conclusion though?
Are you saying Glenn Hoddle skill set is inferior to Deles?
Not at all but Glen Hoddle wouldn't get near a Dele, the levels would be miles apart.

If you simply look at skill then I completely agree any player from any decade can be the best, but if you look at all round conditioning, stamina, technique, training and that list goes on ... then today's players, even the average ones, are simply miles better.

It's like comparing a winning F1 car from the 80's with a winning F1 car today ... put them in a race and there is only one winner

If you simply look at skill then I completely agree any player from any decade can be the best, but if you look at all round conditioning, stamina, technique, training and that list goes on ... then today's players, even the average ones, are simply miles better.

It's like comparing a winning F1 car from the 80's with a winning F1 car today ... put them in a race and there is only one winner

And this is why I said you are taking fitness as a skill level.
It’s not.
Take Hoddle in today’s training program and fitness.
Dele in the 80s would be driving a bus, despite being fitter.
Not good enough or mentally capable to work hard.

Sorry that’s the most absurd thing I’ve ever read

Dele is shit. Being shit but modern doesn’t make you better than good players from before.
Maybe Lamela is better than Cruyff too
Dele can cover short and long distances far quicker than Hoddle ever could ... fact not fiction ... that's all that sentence says

If you can't grasp that simply truth you're probably not really understanding the debate.

And this is why I said you are taking fitness as a skill level.
It’s not.
Take Hoddle in today’s training program and fitness.
Dele in the 80s would be driving a bus, despite being fitter.
Not good enough or mentally capable to work hard.
Of course Fitness is a skill level ... the vast majority of the population cannot attain an EPL fitness level ... to simply sassume they could is pointless, Hoddle couldn't stay fit in the 80's so why would he today? ... if we could all get that fit we'd all have a chance at professional football, but we can't.

Didn't know you were Dele's shrink ... or is that just your unqualified opinion?

Of course Fitness is a skill level ... the vast majority of the population cannot attain an EPL fitness level ... to simply sassume they could is pointless, Hoddle couldn't stay fit in the 80's so why would he today? ... if we could all get that fit we'd all have a chance at professional football, but we can't.

Didn't know you were Dele's shrink ... or is that just your unqualified opinion?

Well if I’m wrong about his mentality then he’s just a Ligue one player still who had a season in the sun I guess.

Fitness is a skill? No it’s genetic and application.
It doesn’t help you pass the ball better

Dele can cover short and long distances far quicker than Hoddle ever could ... fact not fiction ... that's all that sentence says

If you can't grasp that simply truth you're probably not really understanding the debate.
Errrr Dele can cover distances more than Kane can. Does that make him a better finisher?

What am I actually reading?

Well if I’m wrong about his mentality then he’s just a Ligue one player still who had a season in the sun I guess.

Fitness is a skill? No it’s genetic and application.
It doesn’t help you pass the ball better
Fitness is a skill like any other it can be honed and trained ... off course it helps you pass the ball better stronger, fitter, faster = better passer

Or should all players be unfit if fitness makes no difference ... if fitness is genetic why have gym's?

Errrr Dele can cover distances more than Kane can. Does that make him a better finisher?

You're not reading - clearly it's not your "skill"

Dele is faster over short and long distances than Hoddle was - simple easy to understand statement. No mention of Kane or better finishing ... if you read slowly you might comprehend, give it a try.

You're not reading - clearly it's not your "skill"

Dele is faster over short and long distances than Hoddle was - simple easy to understand statement. No mention of Kane or better finishing ... if you read slowly you might comprehend, give it a try.
And you have basically said Hoddle is nowhere near the player Dele is because:
1) Footballers are fitter today
2) Dele is faster

Well Hoddle has better vision, better finishing, better passing, better ball control, better at dribbling, better than Dele at the Dele Flick, better at set pieces, more imagination, the ability to surprise, can unlock defences more often.

But yeah, you go with “he’s faster”.

The Kane comparison is valid one, using the criteria you seem to think makes someone a better footballer.

Fitness is a skill like any other it can be honed and trained ... off course it helps you pass the ball better stronger, fitter, faster = better passer

Or should all players be unfit if fitness makes no difference ... if fitness is genetic why have gym's?

So Anthony Joshua is a better passer of the ball than Ndombele?

Being fit isn’t a skill. Everyone can be fit, not everyone can play football.

And you have basically said Hoddle is nowhere near the player Dele is because:
1) Footballers are fitter today
2) Dele is faster

Well Hoddle has better vision, better finishing, better passing, better ball control, better at dribbling, better than Dele at the Dele Flick, better at set pieces, more imagination, the ability to surprise, can unlock defences more often.

But yeah, you go with “he’s faster”.

So 100% what I said .... see if you read it slowly all makes sense

It doesn’t make sense because you are claiming that makes Dele a superior footballer.
It’s utter nonsense.
Try again remember use slow reading

Dele in 2020 with his level of conditioning is superior in fitness to Hoddle in 1980 with his level of conditioning ... just as all modern athletes are better than their counterparts from 40 years ago.

Not once has it been suggested that Dele is a more skilful player than Hoddle not even close ... you made that leap.

Last edited:
Dele Alli is better than Glenn Hoddle??

Agree that premise is totally laughable - the comparison was between the fitness levels of modern players and their 1980's equivalent ... Hoddle at 1980's levels would not be the same player he was in the modern game. Just as 1980's athletes would all be slower than 2020 athletes so 1980's footballers would all be knackered in the modern game.

Dele's not "better" just vastly fitter .... as are all modern players. The whole argument is daft, clearly fitness has vastly improved and equally clearly "best player" is subjective ... Best, Hoddle, Cantona, Messi, Pele you take your pick there is no right or wrong ...

But Dele better than Hoddle not even in his own dreams.

Back
Top Bottom