Summer 2019 transfer thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

BBC reported when we made our first bid they valued him at 25 million.

Yet they turned it down (as is their prerogative).

"We have no interest in selling Saido which is what I have told Spurs chairman Daniel Levy," said Albion chairman Jeremy Peace.

"I know we are living in an age where no club can say 'never' about the possibility of selling a player."

He added: "However, the prospect of selling Saido is simply not on our agenda.

"We are going forward with Saido very much in our plans and still striving to add players to improve the balance of our squad."

The Daily Telegraph reports the offer from Spurs is worth £15m, with Albion valuing Berahino at £25m."

Seems they simply valued him higher than we did (Note: we allegedly didn't bid 25m afterall!)

I fail to see the scandal here... Bearing in mind the business we did in Summer 15; bangin'on about how much of a priority Berahino was seems a bit exaggerated.... Why? To paint us as "Shameless"? (I know you've retracted that term, but it's a vastly different accusation to merely being slow)

Son, Toby, N’Jie, Winner, Tripper.

I'd say Toby was priority given we risked losing out to S'oton... N'Jie we seemed to get rather obsessed by and arguably we ended up with Sonny instead of Berahino in the end.

Do you mean we as fans shouldn't be so eager to believe or get trolled by the press?

If so, I'd agree, but....

To follow up with this final statement confuses matter...

It's like you're implying that THFC are to blame for like we create the press meddling ourselves....

If you hadn't noticed it's Aulas giving soundbites to the french media every day or two, not DL.

You started off saying that you accept that deals take time, but your follow up comments distinctly suggest otherwise.

Liverpool: I can think of at least 3.... Dele Alli, Gylfie Siggurdson & Clint Dempsey. :allitongue:
What ever way it happens, it seems to follow us around like a bad smell, we rarely seem to get a transfer done in straight forward fashion.
Liverpool didn’t sign any of those 3....what I’m meaning is, we will see this breaking story that Liverpool are in talks with a player or they have a bid excepted, and within days he’s standing there holding up the shirt.
Of course there are links to players all the time, but rarely are they concrete. Right now I wouldn’t even class Los Callos as a Spurs target, just rumours, likewise any of the 3 Ajax players we are linked with, little more substance to Jack Clarke of course as it’s grown some legs over the past few days, but our 65m guy (our no1 target by all accounts, our record transfer by about 50%) should not be a public debate for weeks.

What ever way it happens, it seems to follow us around like a bad smell, we rarely seem to get a transfer done in straight forward fashion.
Liverpool didn’t sign any of those 3....what I’m meaning is, we will see this breaking story that Liverpool are in talks with a player or they have a bid excepted, and within days he’s standing there holding up the shirt.
Of course there are links to players all the time, but rarely are they concrete. Right now I wouldn’t even class Los Callos as a Spurs target, just rumours, likewise any of the 3 Ajax players we are linked with, little more substance to Jack Clarke of course as it’s grown some legs over the past few days, but our 65m guy (our no1 target by all accounts, our record transfer by about 50%) should not be a public debate for weeks.

Sometimes transfers are swiftly done, other times they become a little more complex. It took Real Madrid a whole summer to sign Gareth Bale, their record signing at the time due to our insistence that we signed players with his money first. To my knowledge Thiago Mendes still hasn't signed for Lyon and Ndombele apparently is still away on holiday. Any of these things could be a factor.

De Ligt still hasn't signed for anyone, Rabiot a free transfer still isn't officially a Juventus player, Joao Felix hasn't signed for Atletico yet and Griezmann still hasn't signed for Barcelona. Things behind the scenes probably play their part a lot of the time and we probably know more about deals being in the pipeline long before we know about other clubs as we trail the forums and have a specific interest in the goings on at our club.

It would be great to get deals tied up early, I'm sure the club would like to as well but there's things that hold it up, that just seems to be the case

Yet they turned it down (as is their prerogative).

"We have no interest in selling Saido which is what I have told Spurs chairman Daniel Levy," said Albion chairman Jeremy Peace.

"I know we are living in an age where no club can say 'never' about the possibility of selling a player."

He added: "However, the prospect of selling Saido is simply not on our agenda.

"We are going forward with Saido very much in our plans and still striving to add players to improve the balance of our squad."

The Daily Telegraph reports the offer from Spurs is worth £15m, with Albion valuing Berahino at £25m."

Seems they simply valued him higher than we did (Note: we allegedly didn't bid 25m afterall!)

I fail to see the scandal here... Bearing in mind the business we did in Summer 15; bangin'on about how much of a priority Berahino was seems a bit exaggerated.... Why? To paint us as "Shameless"? (I know you've retracted that term, but it's a vastly different accusation to merely being slow)

Son, Toby, N’Jie, Winner, Tripper.

I'd say Toby was priority given we risked losing out to S'oton... N'Jie we seemed to get rather obsessed by and arguably we ended up with Sonny instead of Berahino in the end.
tenor.gif

...But a big bulk of it is the media merely having to write 'something' each morning.

I choose to pay it little mind (I chose to get a little excited about Ndombele last week, but more fool me for being suckered by a press I'm typically deeply cynical of).

Liverpool didn’t sign any of those 3....

My point.... Surely no bigger indictment of fucking around then? Each one, the Liverpool fans accused us of stealing from under their noses.

what I’m meaning is, we will see this breaking story that Liverpool are in talks with a player or they have a bid excepted, and within days he’s standing there holding up the shirt.

....Or we're just way more focussed on Spurs? Pretty fair to say NewsNow will be full of trf bollocks about Liverpool.... Likely even more than us. Afterall you just played down the fact it took them nerly 10 months to sign VVD.

We've played no part in a PUBLIC debate though.... We do our business in PVT. (Retread prev posts from me here if you can't grasp that aspect of things)

Never-the-less..... Can't think of much in recent years where so-called strong links haven't led to a signing.... Moutiniho 2013, Berahino 2015.... Ummmm....

You said to begin with you accept things take time... You appear not to afterall. Buy into less media... Wait and see.... Complain afterwards if you see fit. Simple really - It's not our role as supporters to second guess and pre-emptively chastise the club for what it might do wrong (future tense).

Don't be silly... Course I answered.

You asked me if I thought we'd get him at the beginning of the window for what we bid at the end.

Answer: Apparently not.... I've thoroughly explained why too.

So do you now finally concede that we didn't act "Shamefully", "poorly" or even slowly for that matter... And that even your assertion of him being a priority was a stretch.

He was an afterthought.

...But a big bulk of it is the media merely having to write 'something' each morning.

I choose to pay it little mind (I chose to get a little excited about Ndombele last week, but more fool me for being suckered by a press I'm typically deeply cynical of).

My point.... Surely no bigger indictment of fucking around then? Each one, the Liverpool fans accused us of stealing from under their noses.

....Or we're just way more focussed on Spurs? Pretty fair to say NewsNow will be full of trf bollocks about Liverpool.... Likely even more than us. Afterall you just played down the fact it took them nerly 10 months to sign VVD.

We've played no part in a PUBLIC debate though.... We do our business in PVT. (Retread prev posts from me here if you can't grasp that aspect of things)

Never-the-less..... Can't think of much in recent years where so-called strong links haven't led to a signing.... Moutiniho 2013, Berahino 2015.... Ummmm....

You said to begin with you accept things take time... You appear not to afterall. Buy into less media... Wait and see.... Complain afterwards if you see fit. Simple really - It's not our role as supporters to second guess and pre-emptively chastise the club for what it might do wrong (future tense).
Your overthinking this, trying to somehow explain to the weaker minded how football works....
My point is how are media outlets running this story with day to day updates for weeks now, how are we fuck knows how many pages into he’s signed/he’s not signed while all the while the club are.....well we don’t really know what they are doing.
I’m not saying there are not negotiations to thrash out, of course there are, they could even take weeks/months, but this In my opinion should be done under the radar.
As for Liverpool and VVD, sure, they may have been negotiating with Southampton for months, but it wasn’t media run throughout, and the minute that window opened they had their ducks in a row, no fuss!
Same with Mane, Salah etc etc, they had them signed before joe public even knew they were even looking.

ITK sources are saying that Ndombele deal is done and that the delay is because Lyon is busy securing his replacement Mendes before Ndombele is released. Its just covering your arse and saving face I guess.

Nope. I’m an American that is fairly new to the EPL. I’ve been following Spurs since 2 years ago. Plenty of people warned me of the heartache I’m in for but the other clubs didn’t do it for me for many reasons.

Now just trying to soak in everything Tottenham. I’ve really enjoyed lurking/learning on this board and decided I’d join up.

It's not too late........

141029-Nadeau-exorcism-tease_vcu2mq

It amazes me sometimes how many folks on here seem to think Spurs are the only club in the history of the world to have transfer windows that are less than ideal. Or seasons, for that matter. I'm a big supporter of my local club, who are mediocre at best and often proper shit - do you know how much they'd give to be even vaguely near the finals of a cup, let alone demanding trophies? Yes, Spurs are a big club. Yes, we should target players who can make us better. Yes, not signing anyone last summer wasn't a great decision on any level. But christ almighty, when I'm on the other forum and they're panicking over a player costing 1m, the sort of stuff I read on here blows my mind.

Clarke and Ndombele will be announced soon. I don't know what else the summer will have in store, but in the meantime a bit of perspective might do us all good.

It amazes me sometimes how many folks on here seem to think Spurs are the only club in the history of the world to have transfer windows that are less than ideal. Or seasons, for that matter. I'm a big supporter of my local club, who are mediocre at best and often proper shit - do you know how much they'd give to be even vaguely near the finals of a cup, let alone demanding trophies? Yes, Spurs are a big club. Yes, we should target players who can make us better. Yes, not signing anyone last summer wasn't a great decision on any level. But christ almighty, when I'm on the other forum and they're panicking over a player costing 1m, the sort of stuff I read on here blows my mind.

Clarke and Ndombele will be announced soon. I don't know what else the summer will have in store, but in the meantime a bit of perspective might do us all good.
Will you please fuck off with all that common sense & perspective nonsense. This is TFC
:troll:

Back
Top Bottom