Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can't offer the wages that City can. Will always be that way until we can offer competitive wages.

We can't even offer the wages Liverpool can, how much are Kane and Lloris making now? I think our wages max out at 120k while Liverpool go to 220k. Woolwich are offering Ozil and Sanchez 300k, Chelsea can do 300k City can do 300k and Utd can do 300k

No. I want to keep our best players, replace the weaker ones with better players. As a wealthy champions league club, I think that's the way forward...
Some of the very people who only weeks ago were saying we would never sell Walker to City are now trying to justify that very transfer, while throwing insults around at people like me who've seen it all before.

I dont want Walker sold and didnt think he would be, but he is going it appears.
Why shouldnt I justify it though? What should I do, slate the club for all eternity?

We may improve from it....we may get a better RB, or better squad players in. We might win the PL next season.

Why should I go mental today? The consensus was that IF anyone had to pick a fist team player to go, it would be Walker. I agree, with that. Its shitty news, but its not Kane.

If Kyle is "homesick" and wants to move to another City thats not his home for 140k a week, or feels he's above rotation with Tripper, then let him piss off and play with Stones instead of Jan, Toby and Rose.

He's a loss, but the biggest loss is his. We move on, fuck it mate

What John Thomas John Thomas and others don't really seem to get is that you cannot keep players by forcing them to stay, you keep them by making them want to stay. Even United didn't keep Ronaldo once it was clear he wanted to go elsewhere.

The challenge for a club of our size is to create that environment where players want to stay, and that includes a number of factors - the clubhouse community and comradery being a big part of that, and have a player who clearly wants out will effect that negatively and further other players looking to leave as well.

Walker is a good player. Spurs got a world record fee for him and will continue to push forward. In the last 15 years we've lost a Berbatov, Keane, Modric, Bale ... and yet continued to advance and improve. And now on top we have a terrific manager who clearly signed off on this move and people are still melting?

We have upgraded ourselves to be in the Dortmund / Atletico range as a club. Being smart on when to cash in on established stars is part of the recipe they have used to continue to stay relevant, and it will be the same for us.
200.webp

We can't even offer the wages Liverpool can, how much are Kane and Lloris making now? I think our wages max out at 120k while Liverpool go to 220k. Woolwich are offering Ozil and Sanchez 300k, Chelsea can do 300k City can do 300k and Utd can do 300k

It's all speculation, but we offer good bonus packages apparently. (appearance, goals etc.)

It's all speculation, but we offer good bonus packages apparently. (appearance, goals etc.)

Maybe that's something we can sell to players already here (ie add ons bonuses etc.) but for attracting top quality players they want offers of cold hard cash.

Assuming most people have read this article from yesterday

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ty-Woolwich-liverpool-different-a7837786.html

Notice the part about Lemar?

Maybe that's something we can sell to players already here (ie add ons bonuses etc.) but for attracting top quality players they want offers of cold hard cash.

Assuming most people have read this article from yesterday

How Tottenham's approach to transfers will be different to the rest of the top six

Notice the part about Lemar?

That's not really a bad thing, it means we just won't get the type of players that are after money.

It's normal that a proportion of the fan base won't understand/appreciate the way we do things, but we're starting to represent the antithesis of Chelsea/City - if you work hard, you'll be rewarded; don't expect to be rewarded without working hard.

Costa, Isco, Adrien, etc. Even Vietto could have more potential. Barkley carries an extra 10m for being a capped England International and the early media hype
C
Ferguson did it at Utd, always showed who was boss no matter the player. Sharpe, Ince, Beckham, P Neville, Butt, Stam, Van Nistlerooy. All players who were key to the side that were sold off. Got to have faith in our coaching set up.

If this transfer goes through then only time will tell if its been a good move or not. I went into this window primarily aiming not to lose any of our starting XI and 2/3 others.

Ok so if it happens then we have to trust that its been done because Poch is happy to let him go/feels we already have the staff to replace him or have someone lined up.

As fans we never fully know what goes on at the club, what is said and with transfers nowadays it becomes even worse with rumours and everyone wanting to be 'itk'.

Top clubs over the years have always changed personnel when it doesn't always make sense to us fans. We will probably never be told why but have to trust that there is a reason for it - whether it be financial, personnal, or simply aiming to improve.

The hysteria today is utter ridiculous.

Kyle is going to go from playing with the best Center-back pairing i nthe league to Otamendi and Stones, Stones being known for switching off on occasion and making some silly mistakes with the ball. Remind you of anyone?

I don't see how this is similar to sdelling on our best players in the past. This time we have a tried and tested replacement. Yes he has a different skillset, but he Trippier has proven himself and I am not too concerned permitting we get in another RB. Hell, if Poch think Walker-Peters is ready, there's no reason we shouldn't trust him.

There's also been a lot of talk today about how we spend our money poorly. But take a look at City's recent defensive buys.

Mangala for 30Million
Otamendi for 30Million
Stones for 50Million

all of those players have underachieved.

We really have no clue how Walker will play for them, we know that Trippier can play for us. Now let's spend this fucking money

That's not really a bad thing, it means we just won't get the type of players that are after money.

It's normal that a proportion of the fan base won't understand/appreciate the way we do things, but we're starting to represent the antithesis of Chelsea/City - if you work hard, you'll be rewarded; don't expect to be rewarded without working hard.

Top players want top money, it's as simple as that. Why would a talent from a club like Monaco move to Spurs? our rep has only just begun solidify itself over the past couple of years so we have to sell a project but the project must also come with incentives by way of a wage that is fitting of such players. In todays game we'll struggle to sign top class players with a wage structure from 2011, I know it's the reality of our situation with the stadium etc. but it doesn't stop the fact we'll be losing out on quite a lot.

Top players want top money, it's as simple as that. Why would a talent from a club like Monaco move to Spurs? our rep has only just begun solidify itself over the past couple of years so we have to sell a project but the project must also come with incentives by way of a wage that is fitting of such players. In todays game nobody we'll struggle to sign top class players with a wage structure from 2011, I know it's the reality of our situation with the stadium etc. but it doesn't stop the fact we'll be losing out on quite a lot.

Top players want trophies. Top players want accolades. Top players also want to enjoy their game.

Players like Adebayor wanted "Top Money" and none of the above. It just doesn't work.

It's clear that Poch wants players who want to enjoy their game, try their hardest, and to win some things. If a player would rather go a club that guarantees money over anything, it's not likely that he'll be the kind of lad the manager looks for.

Bonuses mean little - main reason Mane chose them was extra 80-100k. Personally, I think if we had Mane last season we could have won the PL - hence why I believe it's important to sign a quality attackitng player with pace

Top players want trophies. Top players want accolades. Top players also want to enjoy their game.

Players like Adebayor wanted "Top Money" and none of the above. It just doesn't work.

It's clear that Poch wants players who want to enjoy their game, try their hardest, and to win some things. If a player would rather go a club that guarantees money over anything, it's not likely that he'll be the kind of lad the manager looks for.

Poch is working with what he's got, if we had a more liberal wage structure that wasn't tied down by financial necessitates we'd be in for some of the same big boys the other top 6 are but we all have our limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom