Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salah started a grand total of 6 games in his time at Chelski (and scored 2 goals). .
He showed zero flashes of anything during his time at Chelsea, in other words he was proper shite.

"People that are saying he was shite are the same people that refuse to say Janssen has been shite despite getting many more opportunities than Salah". Fucking hell, mate leave it alone. The topic is Salah, not Janssen. You appear obsessed with Janssen. Let's talk about Salah, there is a Janssen thread where you can post and obsess about him in there, it's called the Vincent Janssen thread. Here is a link Players - Vincent Janssen
:pochbye:

I was a Siggy fan but i would be dissapointed if we signed him to be honest. Not what we need.

See this is what I can't fathom about when our lot clamour for the return of Siggy (and to a lesser extent the likes of JD)... They couldn't make the cut (hence moving on); now some bizarrely expect them to nail a spot in a far far far better team/squad than the one we had when they left.

He showed zero flashes of anything during his time at Chelsea, in other words he was proper shite.

"People that are saying he was shite are the same people that refuse to say Janssen has been shite despite getting many more opportunities than Salah". Fucking hell, mate leave it alone. The topic is Salah, not Janssen. You appear obsessed with Janssen. Let's talk about Salah, there is a Janssen thread where you can post and obsess about him in there, it's called the Vincent Janssen thread. Here is a link Players - Vincent Janssen
:pochbye:
Its absolutely false that he showed zero flashes and utter bollocks but you are right in regards to anything Janssen related being in the Janssen thread.

Its absolutely false that he showed zero flashes and utter bollocks but you are right in regards to anything Janssen related being in the Janssen thread.
I disagree, but hey ho he was shit when he played for Chelsea, just as Cuadrado was. But both have been excellent for other clubs, more than one club. May be it's a Chelsea thing?? I don't doubt their abilities. Salah has shown he's a good talent for Roma, Basel and I think on occasion for Fiorentina but I don't think he was missed by the Fiorentina fans (there was a Spurs and Fiorentina fan that posted on here who might be able to confirm??).

Bottomline for me is he still has it all to prove at Liverpool. Wijnaldum I think was a player who also had something to prove when he signed last year, after this season, he still has something to prove as he wasn't consistent but there were several games where he played very well, effected the game in some capacity and because of this the feeling is positive and one that he can kick on. Whereas, Salah never gave fans confidence to have this feeling when at Chelsea, granted they are Chelsea fans.

It takes absolutely no consideration of each player's team tactics, instructions or team mates.

Barkley can't play through balls to players who aren't making runs.
Barkley also can't shoot from range very well, or get into decent passing positions. I don't think that the teams tactics are the issue as much as Barkley. For what it's worth, the author of that piece is an Everton fan who has worked for the club in the past. He's watched Barkley more than any of us.

Salah is a top player and a grade A cunt. I hadn't seen that costa all that huch so I can't remark on him but Salah will fit Liveepool's system perfectly.
The thing is it was never up front where they really needed to splash the money
I think they'll be ok without a striker. I think they're in a lot more trouble because their midfield and back line are nowhere near good enough, or deep enough, and they're not trying to fix that.

If you think I have to do that instead of just watching football you really don't get very much of anything.

I get enough to know how much of a dull analytics person you are. How about enjoying the sport and and not pouring over every statistical fact on a spreadsheet. I get you're stuck on another continent and cannot enjoy the spectacle or atmosphere of being at a match. You're holier than thou 'knowledge' about players. It's not North American based sports it's football.

I get enough to know how much of a dull analytics person you are. How about enjoying the sport and and not pouring over every statistical fact on a spreadsheet. I get you're stuck on another continent and cannot enjoy the spectacle or atmosphere of being at a match. You're holier than thou 'knowledge' about players. It's not North American based sports it's football.
I do enjoy the sport, and there is atmosphere at some matches over here, just not all, sadly.

When I'm watching a game, I'm enjoying it. When I'm talking about players I would or would not like Spurs to sign, I like to look at what they have actually done, rather than rely on something as faulty as human memory of a few games, or what drooling idiocy has been said about them on Match of the Day or Sunday Supplement.

I do enjoy the sport, and there is atmosphere at some matches over here, just not all, sadly.

When I'm watching a game, I'm enjoying it. When I'm talking about players I would or would not like Spurs to sign, I like to look at what they have actually done, rather than rely on something as faulty as human memory of a few games, or what drooling idiocy has been said about them on Match of the Day or Sunday Supplement.

I'll trust the judgement of our coaching staff to get the best out of a player. I'm staying this as a result of your analysis of someone like Wilfred Zaha, a young player still learning his trade. A player you've already written off as one that cannot improve.

I'll trust the judgement of our coaching staff to get the best out of a player. I'm staying this as a result of your analysis of someone like Wilfred Zaha, a young player still learning his trade. A player you've already written off as one that cannot improve.
I don't trust our coaching staff to do that every time. And our margins between success and failure are a lot thinner than the competition.

Our coaching staff thought that they could turn Moussa Sissoko into a good player. They were wrong. I don't trust them not to fuck up like that again. Zaha would have been exactly that. So would Ross Barkley. No manager is perfect, and ours, while very good, isn't able to turn shit into gold. And he seems to have a problem thinking he can.

Taking into account our current wage structure, if Barkley according to you isn't good enough just who do you expect us to sign who would be prepared to come to us who is so much better than Barkley could be?

Just name me one.
Bruno Fernandes, Vincenzo Grifo, Nabil Fekir, or if you want to spend more money on a surer thing Naby Keita, Emil Forsberg or Memphis Depay. As it stands, Bruno Fernandes is already off to Sampdoria, Vincenzo Grifo just got signed by Borussia Monchengladbach, Depay isn't for sale and Red Bull have enough cash that their players probably aren't leaving for cheap fees. So we missed on the best deals already. All of those players though would be better paid at Spurs, and all except the Red Bull players would also be moving up to a Champion's League-level club. So, those would be my starting point.

I don't trust our coaching staff to do that every time. And our margins between success and failure are a lot thinner than the competition.

Our coaching staff thought that they could turn Moussa Sissoko into a good player. They were wrong. I don't trust them not to fuck up like that again. Zaha would have been exactly that. So would Ross Barkley. No manager is perfect, and ours, while very good, isn't able to turn shit into gold. And he seems to have a problem thinking he can.

I doubt Sissoko was a Pochettino signing. As such hasn't been trusted with too much playing time. I trust him to be able to coach young players like Zaha and Barkley though. I'm more inclined to have faith in their judgement of players than someone who isn't actually a professional footballing coach.

Bruno Fernandes, Vincenzo Grifo, Nabil Fekir, or if you want to spend more money on a surer thing Naby Keita, Emil Forsberg or Memphis Depay. As it stands, Bruno Fernandes is already off to Sampdoria, Vincenzo Grifo just got signed by Borussia Monchengladbach, Depay isn't for sale and Red Bull have enough cash that their players probably aren't leaving for cheap fees. So we missed on the best deals already. All of those players though would be better paid at Spurs, and all except the Red Bull players would also be moving up to a Champion's League-level club. So, those would be my starting point.

So you're saying players with no experience of our league or country are more likely to be better than players that have experience of playing here. Their stats may look good in their respective leagues but it doesn't take into account the playing style, culture or fact it's a completely different environment, one in which said player would have to adapt to. It's as much a risk signing one of those, we've done a lot of that recently, N'jie, GKN, Stambouli, Fazio, Holtby, Capoue... I'd much rather give the likes of Barkley and Zaha a chance as they've played in this league.

For what it's worth, the author of that piece is an Everton fan who has worked for the club in the past. He's watched Barkley more than any of us.

Even if he was a scout, not all scouts are good.

Plenty of decent players are missed by scouts with poor judgement.

Based on that article, he can't be good. If I made the immense assumptions and 2D analysis he's made in that article in my job, I'd be treated like I was a moron.

Looks like City buying the league, at this point even if they did win it it proves nothing not for Pep or the players, might as well spend £200 mil and buy Messi then £150 and buy Ronaldo.
Actually some on here think its a disadvantage to spend 100s of millions.
So city would do amazingly well to spend all that ££ & still manage to win the league despite this.

No manager is perfect, and ours, while very good, isn't able to turn shit into gold. And he seems to have a problem thinking he can.

Bit harsh. I wouldn't say that Poch thinks he can work miracles, just that he's prepared to take a punt which so happens suits the self enforced limitations of our transfer policy.

As a strategy i don't think it's been that ineffective recently. The Sissoko thing aside - which i'm willing to put down to a last minute name dropped at the end of a meeting out of desperation.

Obviously we've not had as many success stories as we'd like, its frustrating to see teams like Southampton continually scout and sign very talented players. I do think that it's easier for players to succeed at "smaller" clubs; less pressure to perform on the spot with limited game time, but surely it's worth ten N'jie's or Nkoudou's if we uncover the next Payet or Marez?

Plus, in general, there is less pressure for us to scout players with ability because of the amount of talent we have coming through the academy. Again not every player will make it into established first team material but as a buisness model it has worked extremely well.

Last edited:
Taking into account our current wage structure, if Barkley according to you isn't good enough just who do you expect us to sign who would be prepared to come to us who is so much better than Barkley could be?

- Your post seems to assume to Barkley will want mere 'development' level wages.
- All this "he's the best we can get" stuff.... Fine.... Then don't buy anyone in that position.... The club didn't seem to have a problem leaving us 2nd striker-less in the past cos the right guy wasn't available... Why are so many seemingly eager to repeat the Sissoko fuck-up from last summer?
- How about we just throw the £40m PLUS Ross's wages into the wage kitty?
- Anyone else, perturbed by both the fact that Koeman will let him walk and that no other teams above or around us are being linked?
- England gaffers seem to have gone completely cold on him too.

....Sign high-price/low demand mediocrity just cos they have (rather dubious) EPL stripes?????

Just name me one.

In similar spirit, how about you name one solid reason why we should sign Barkley specifically?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom