Summer 2017 transfer window or, waiting for Godot

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is, who here thinks Walker will go in the summer? I don't want it but if City pay upwards of 40M that's a lot of dosh to re-invest, they are desperate for a right back. What would you guys value Walker at? Also, what would you value Trippier at? Tough one with Trippier but he has obvious talent in bucket loads just hasn't had the opportunities.

Why would I be jealous of Spurs? I want you lot to be successful because you're the only team at the top of English football with proper principles, and Atletico-esque in the crusade against the immorality of modern football.

Just because I am lucky enough to be granted a certain insight into the Manchester clubs' transfer agendas doesn't mean I'm trolling or trying to belittle your club.

Both City and United have tentatively enquired about 7 of your squad, and the only ones they've had any kind of encouragement on are Walker and Dier respectively, both circa £40m.

Like I said, the events of the next few months will prove this.

When you say they have been encouraged on Walker and Dier, would that be from the Spurs manager saying our players are on long conctracts and we will decide who leaves?
Or the part where he said we don't need money, we are building a team?
Or the bit about come down to the ground and try your luck with Levy?

It's exactly what I meant when I said people will realise that Tottenham has got to a stage it wants to be in. The manager has spent three years assembling a squad of people he wants, and who want to be here.
It's funny how arrogant fans see signing a 5 yr contract extension as "now they can sell him for more"

Sadly for them, we are not about that

My question is, who here thinks Walker will go in the summer? I don't want it but if City pay upwards of 40M that's a lot of dosh to re-invest, they are desperate for a right back. What would you guys value Walker at? Also, what would you value Trippier at? Tough one with Trippier but he has obvious talent in bucket loads just hasn't had the opportunities.
I value Walker as an integral part of our progress and plans and part of the reason we are above City.
It would be moronic to sell him, for any price, to Man City.
We are now title challengers. In what world does a cub in that position weaken itself and strengthen a rival?
If there is better than Walker out there, let City find him and spend 100m on him.
It's not our problem, we have scouts that find players like Walker from lower leagues when they are 18 and build them up.
City buy Stones for 50m and when it doesn't work just buy another. Well go ahead, buy another. But it won't be from Spurs.

Last edited:
I value Walker as an integral part of our progress and plans and part of the reason we are above City.
It would be moronic to sell him, for any price, to Man City.
We are now title challengers. In what world does a cub in that position weaken itself and strengthen a rival?
If there is better than Walker out there, let City find him and spend 100m on him.
It's not our problem, we have scouts that find players like Walker from lower leagues when they are 18 and build them up.
City buy Stones for 50m and when it doesn't work just buy another. Well go ahead, buy another. But it won't be from Spurs.

If they want walker it's going to have to be 100 million plus we will take this Jesus fella as he has looked pretty tidy, but the catch is they keep paying Jesus wages for the next 5 years.....:levyeyes:
If they want Dier they can fuck off, as he is integral to the team, (so is walker don't get me wrong) and Dier is one of the reasons why we can switch formations so easily during the game, so for that he is priceless......

When you say they have been encouraged on Walker and Dier, would that be from the Spurs manager saying our players are on long conctracts and we will decide who leaves?
Or the part where he said we don't need money, we are building a team?
Or the bit about come down to the ground and try your luck with Levy?

It's exactly what I meant when I said people will realise that Tottenham has got to a stage it wants to be in. The manager has spent three years assembling a squad of people he wants, and who want to be here.
It's funny how arrogant fans see signing a 5 yr contract extension as "now they can sell him for more"

Sadly for them, we are not about that
Agree with all that Sammy but think we will sell one player each year for maybe next 3 or 4 years. Fact is we need to player trade to bridge the financial void (which is massive & still getting wider not closer). I'm not sure it will be this year though. can only seeing it happen for astronomical fees and more likely a player finding a home abroad than at a rival.

I'm relaxed about it too, which is odd, we have a manager to can turn water into wine when it comes to players improvements. They turn back to water when not under his spell too. We've seen this year that we do not fall to bits if Kane, Verts, Toby, Rose, Dembele etc don't play.

I'm not pushing anyone out the door, I'd rather us continue to find and unearth more gold and polish some diamonds from the academy and trade on our fringe players but done well like Atleti, Dortmund, Sevilla (they have to sell too many actually) we can remain competitive at the top of the league. Sell more than one first team player and to a rival and then I'll get pissed off.

Last edited:
Mane was from a second rate league. He cost roughly the same amount. Wasn't he a Poch want?

Calling the Bundesliga here a second rate league is an unbelievable compliment to Austrian football. Watching Sadio Mane play a bunch of chubby pub players from Grödig was like a snuff film.

Seriously, this is a stadium that was in the top division while Mane was here:

untersbergarena472.5147010.jpg

I think, and hope, this will be a boring transfer window for Spurs, as I honestly think it would neither be right or smart to replace any one of our first eleven from the first eleven.

If Poch would rotate more, which I think could be beneficial, then we could try to get some top talent (great prospects 20 yrs old +/- a couple of years). Otherwise we pretty much have the best we can realistically hope for.

If we get a great price for Rose, then maybe we could try to get Shaw to replace him, as Rose tends to miss too many games to injuries. If we can get Rose injury free, none is better.

I like trips. I actually prefer him, as he seems to play much better under pressure and doesn't react to rough play like walker does

This is a tricky one. For me Walker is very good but it all centres around his pace. But then again that sort of pace is invaluable.

Trippier imo is a better player, is more intelligent and has better technical ability, however he does lack pace and on top of that is very small. If u have him walkers pace we'd have a real assets there!

Another consideration is we have Walker-Peters progressing in the background. I've not seen anything much if him but you hear a lot of good things and he's got pace but also a very influential player apparently.

I think with Walker it comes down to one question. Does he want to go? If he doesn't then we should keep him. But if he does then I think we may already have his future replacement in our ranks.

I'd be a lot more concerned about losing Rose.

Last edited:
I like trips. I actually prefer him, as he seems to play much better under pressure and doesn't react to rough play like walker does
Agree. Just wish he had some of Walkers physical attributes. I had a look at their stats the other day because it flashed up the Walker had the most assists of any defender in the league this season (5) which I found surprising.

I guess the "*" to that is he's actually playing more like a winger than a defender so it's probably a little bit of an unfair comparison to other defenders in the league.

But anyway I checked the stats...

Walker 29 games 5 assists
Trippier 3(4) games 3 assists

When u consider Trippiers stats when we bought him there's plenty of evidence to say he's a better more productive player.

However pace is a huge attribute, especially how we play, and Tripper lacks it. Could we play wing backs week in week out with Trippier?

I'd be a lot more concerned about losing Rose.

This is it - I think we already have a player in Trippier that both offers something different to Walker, and yet doesn't make us feel weakened if/when he plays in his place.

I know Davies has improved with a run in the team, but I just can't help but feel he's still more of a Kyle Naughton type player (i.e. he is a good backup, but we feel weaker with him in place of Rose).

This is it - I think we already have a player in Trippier that both offers something different to Walker, and yet doesn't make us feel weakened if/when he plays in his place.

I know Davies has improved with a run in the team, but I just can't help but feel he's still more of a Kyle Naughton type player (i.e. he is a good backup, but we feel weaker with him in place of Rose).
I just have that one reservation with Tripps and that's how he'd cope up against a Zaha for instance. Walker had a stinker first half against palace but shut Zaha down second half when he switched to his flank.

Of our first 11 Walker is definitely the one player I think we could cope without tho if we had to pick one.

I really like Trips, but with games like the Chelsea semi, I would feel more confident with Walker starting. I feel he's another player like Kane or Dier, with a "warrior spirit" in those kind of games. I would be extremely sad if he left, hopefully it's not something I need to worry about!

I really like Trips, but with games like the Chelsea semi, I would feel more confident with Walker starting. I feel he's another player like Kane or Dier, with a "warrior spirit" in those kind of games. I would be extremely sad if he left, hopefully it's not something I need to worry about!

True, but it makes me nervous when teams like Stoke, West Brom or Palace (literally anywhere Pulis has been) know how to wind our players like that up, and you feel like a red is inevitable - trips just doesn't seem to get fazed by that.

True, but it makes me nervous when teams like Stoke, West Brom or Palace (literally anywhere Pulis has been) know how to wind our players like that up, and you feel like a red is inevitable - trips just doesn't seem to get fazed by that.
Yeah but we are not about to part ways with Dele anytime soon for that reason are we! It's good for players to have a fire in their belly. Feel free to correct me but I don't think we've had too many reds this year from players losing their cool (aside from Dele!).

Yeah but we are not about to part ways with Dele anytime soon for that reason are we! It's good for players to have a fire in their belly. Feel free to correct me but I don't think we've had too many reds this year from players losing their cool (aside from Dele!).

Not yet, but we know how last season ended!

I get a strong feeling City will tempt us with £50,000,000+ Iheanacho for Walker in all honesty.

Walker brings us pace on the right. But if you have Trippier and then a pacey player in front like a Zaha, Bruma, Son etc it could be very Deadly.

Though I think 50m is more than adequate to find a right back who can get up and down the field with pace. It's not exactly rare in the modern day full back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom