Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Are we all still happy we don't need to add the guy who has won more titles than anyone in the last fifteen years?

Nothing that lot today could learn from a proven winner?

Today proved how much we rely on Dembele and Alli. Both in a way are irreplaceable, but Carroll and Mason aren't near good enough to do that.

We need a solid CM.. Witsel mould to come in and stabilise the team in Dembele's absence in the future. We also need a plan experienced head in there to calm the team down when we are in a winning position. Someone like a Carrick but not Carrick.

Obviously a striker as well, we don't have a plan B up front.

I never want my team to lose, I just hope Poch had a wake up call today and saw that we need depth in our squad. Hopefully he sees who needs to leave and where he needs to improve. A CM, a CAM and a ST.

Are we all still happy we don't need to add the guy who has won more titles than anyone in the last fifteen years?

Nothing that lot today could learn from a proven winner?

We can't afford him wether we really want to or not. So there's no point in discussing who is wrong or right.

Apart from the obvious WORLD CLASS STRIKER AVAILABLE ON A CUT PRICE DEAL :levyeyes:

I want a big ugly, nasty, snidey midfield destroyer in the Roy Keane mould... who will dish some PROPER MEDIEVAL shit out to the opposition... but more importantly, take a NEVER-SAY-DIE / LEAVE EVERYTHING ON THE PITCH attitude... and DIG OUT any slack cunt in OUR team sporting shades and a sombrero from May onwards...

I dunno what or who they thought would roll over for us today... but when a relegated club in turmoil puts 5 past us, you've GOT to look at the players.
This wasnt just about finishing 2nd or above the Arse... it was about personal pride, surely?
Anyone who DOESN'T have that, has NO PLACE at our club.

Replace and move on... whoever it may be.

He is currently on 346k a week.
Are these wages all published by law or something? I'm not really convinced we know the terms of his contract, unless it was in the football leaks thing?

And if he's on that now, who says he wants that again? Might he not want a challenge? Taking a team of youngsters and turning them int.....

......fuck it, you know what? Can't be fucked.

Are these wages all published by law or something? I'm not really convinced we know the terms of his contract, unless it was in the football leaks thing?

And if he's on that now, who says he wants that again? Might he not want a challenge? Taking a team of youngsters and turning them int.....

......fuck it, you know what? Can't be fucked.
Yea, his wages were published. 18mil a year. I think I've done my maths right in regards to his weekly wage.

He won't get those wages again but he certainly won't halve it to join us. And even then 170k a week is still above our station.

He may want a challenge, but he's the kind of person who would have said something like that publicly if he were to go to someone like us. He'd lap the publicity up.

I suspect his next club is already decided. Can't imagine he'd announce he's leaving without his next step lined up. It's the way Mino Raiola works. Real would be my guess.

ST - Lacazette, Embolo, Batsuyashi or Mane.

CM - Witsel, Wanyama or Tielemans.

Then fill up some depth with good squad players. We need to really boost our depth if we want push further next season.

The only positive to today is that it'll hopefully have made Levy very very aware of how shallow our squad is, and the need for some midfield leadership.

I don't think, Levy understands football enough for this to make him aware of too much. He's calculated and calm enough not to let one result (or even the last few) influence anything, when we've exceded the goal for the season.

What's more interesting for me in looking for one positive about today is how it'll make Poch react towards the squad. He's looked unhappy before during matches, but today he looked absolutely fuming both during the match and in the interview after.

I'd fully expect Poch to have this kind of team meeting anyway, but now he has good reason and ammunition to really put the screws to our players. Naturally, I have no way of knowing but if I where to venture a guess, I'd say, he'll use the opportunity to tell them that he's proud of what they've all achieved together, that he wants to push on further and make this club a force in England and Europe, that he only wants to work with people who wants that as well, that to achieve this everyone must put in 110% effort every single match and training session, and if they don't they'll be out of the team or even club faster than they can say where did Paulinho and Townsend go.

I'm sure they already know that's Poch policy, but it needs to be reiterated that being ahead of the curve (in terms of preseason expectations) during the season is no fucking excuse to slack off. In spite of the performance today, I'm confident that every single player in that squad feels there's something special brewing and they all want to be a part of it. Time to prove, guys!

I don't think, Levy understands football enough for this to make him aware of too much. He's calculated and calm enough not to let one result (or even the last few) influence anything, when we've exceded the goal for the season.

What's more interesting for me in looking for one positive about today is how it'll make Poch react towards the squad. He's looked unhappy before during matches, but today he looked absolutely fuming both during the match and in the interview after.

I'd fully expect Poch to have this kind of team meeting anyway, but now he has good reason and ammunition to really put the screws to our players. Naturally, I have no way of knowing but if I where to venture a guess, I'd say, he'll use the opportunity to tell them that he's proud of what they've all achieved together, that he wants to push on further and make this club a force in England and Europe, that he only wants to work with people who wants that as well, that to achieve this everyone must put in 110% effort every single match and training session, and if they don't they'll be out of the team or even club faster than they can say where did Paulinho and Townsend go.

I'm sure they already know that's Poch policy, but it needs to be reiterated that being ahead of the curve (in terms of preseason expectations) during the season is no fucking excuse to slack off. In spite of the performance today, I'm confident that every single player in that squad feels there's something special brewing and they all want to be a part of it. Time to prove, guys!
That Onomah and Carroll substitution felt to me like Poch was going:

"You two (Son and Mason), have let me down, I'm putting on boys who want this instead."

Unless I'm reading too much into it.
He doesn't usually make subs that quickly and drastically.

I only really watch psg in the champions league, but from what I've heard from people that watch a lot more ligue 1 than me is that motta is pretty much the unnoticed heartbeat of their team

That Onomah and Carroll substitution felt to me like Poch was going:

"You two (Son and Mason), have let me down, I'm putting on boys who want this instead."

Unless I'm reading too much into it.
He doesn't usually make subs that quickly and drastically.

Agreed. However, I didn't mean to say that I feel Poch will jump to any rash decisions based on a few matches. I feel he's still proud of the squad as a whole over the season, once he cools down. As I think we should be.

My feeling is that the squad can be roughly divided into three groups. First, players Poch doesn't feel is part of the future. Despite some on here wanting lots gone, my take is that it's one or two, maybe three at the most. Second, players who need to prove themselves next season, which is anywhere from five to ten players. And thirdly, the rest being a part for the forseeable future.

Long story short, if these last few games has made Poch think differently about the squad, I think it's in that those players in the second group has more to prove to him than before, because we're further from where we want to be, than he (and we) thought. Perhaps some of them even need to prove that they're up for it already in preseason by working the asses off and showing improvement.

ok so ..

Carroll, Mason, Chadli (i'm a fan but we can improve) and Yedlin can all go.

Incoming = ST, CM/DM, Attacking mid.

I thought Mason should maybe stay as 5th choice cm but fuck that. Dembele, Dier, New, Benteleb is fine (with Dele Alli pushed back to that position if needed).

Back
Top Bottom