Summer 2016 Transfer Window Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Because all of the tactics were identical, the only difference was the depth at which Dier sat.

We changed formation yet kept the same exact players on the pitch who would have started in 4 2 3 1, personally i would debate if we even played 3 at the back for that game because it was so similar to our usual game.

I'll leave that debate for another time though, you're struggling with the basics for now.
LOL - you're deluded, mate

So, when we play in different formations during the same game, which is normal for us, and for most teams, that's a Plan B because the formation rules the tactics?

That makes no sense. By your definition all clubs then are using Plan A, B, C and probably D every match. Which would make your point moot because it's a tautology.

The formation is not the same as the tactics.

Our players are constantly doing various things during matches depending on different situations. That doesn't mean they're not playing within the same basic philosophy. I think you don't really understand what Pochettino actually means by tactics, or what he asks the players to do. You still haven't given an example of when our tactics changed this year. They factually haven't.
Unless you want to reduce our playing 'philosophy/Plan A' to pressing down - then I'm really not sure how we can argue this forward

LOL - you're deluded, mate

How the fuck am I deluded? Tell me which midfielder we sacrificed to play 5 at the fucking back then? Tell me which fucking player got dropped from the team so another defender could come in? Oh, you're saying our midfielder played in defence? Much like he does nearly every other game?

You call me deluded but you're widely regarded as the biggest twat on this site. 20,000 posts and most of them are you just calling people gooner maggot troll cunts.

Climb back in your fucking hole mate, you suit it more.

How the fuck am I deluded? Tell me which midfielder we sacrificed to play 5 at the fucking back then? Tell me which fucking player got dropped from the team so another defender could come in? Oh, you're saying our midfielder played in defence? Much like he does nearly every other game?

You call me deluded but you're widely regarded as the biggest twat on this site. 20,000 posts and most of them are you just calling people gooner maggot troll cunts.

Climb back in your fucking hole mate, you suit it more.
Yawn

Ever noticed how many arguments you choose to ignore when you're wrong? You're a fucking embarrassment. Go back to any of your other clubs forums, you're clearly a deluded twat with nothing better to do with his time other than troll on football forums.
I'm ignoring your bizarre thought-patterns for a reason - your childish insults revealling a rather low mental age. Jog on, kid.

Last edited:
Formation has a direct impact on our play patterns - how can you argue otherwise?
We shift formation during the course of play as a natural aspect of our tactics. The play patterns themselves are dictated by the system, not the formation because the core elements of our idea of play don't change. We use fullbacks for width. Our centrebacks split wide and our DM drops between them in build-up. We use positional play from our attacking midfielders and striker to create space for scoring opportunities. None of these things have changed this season, regardless of formation. That is our Plan A.

A Plan B would not be a change in formation, it would be a change in approach. I don't see that happening.

We shift formation during the course of play as a natural aspect of our tactics. The play patterns themselves are dictated by the system, not the formation because the core elements of our idea of play don't change. We use fullbacks for width. Our centrebacks split wide and our DM drops between them in build-up. We use positional play from our attacking midfielders and striker to create space for scoring opportunities. None of these things have changed this season, regardless of formation. That is our Plan A.

A Plan B would not be a change in formation, it would be a change in approach. I don't see that happening.
You've practically described most top teams in Europe in the first paragraph - there is nothing specific per se. How you can argue that a change in formation does not constitute a different approach is beyond me.

What about Plan C?
Dunno, has any footballer gone that high in the alphabet?

Robbie%20Fowler%20snorting%20the%20line.jpg

Last edited:
You've practically described most top teams in Europe in the first paragraph - there is nothing specific per se. How you can argue that a change in formation does not constitute a different approach is beyond me.
How you claim a formation is the totality of tactics is beyond me. Spurs and Woolwich both play with a 4-2-3-1. Our tactics are nothing alike.

I don't think you would be guaranteed a better success rate just by signing premiership proven though, do you? I think without premiership experience it makes a player a bigger risk, but it also means they could be a better prospect. For example, say a player lights up a league, then goes to a league better suited to him, surely he would become a world beater?
a mix of the 2 sounds the best way.

Trying a different formation is not the same as trying a Plan B though. We still played the same way, just with an extra centreback to outnumber Watford's strikers.

I think a couple of extra central midfielders could help on the fatigue side, but do agree we need to learn how to shell and conserve energy when we do manage to go 2-0 up, but haven't seen a situation this year where a Plan B was going to benefit our offense.
i think we have got it in us to blitz teams early on.
Hopefully get a 2 goal lead & then see out the game & conserve energy.

Back
Top Bottom