Summer 2015 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'm reaching a place were i just don't care. It's somewhat kinda unbeliveable how we are one o the richests clubs in the world and we choose to not spend the money WHEN WE FUCKING NEED PLAYERS.

I like Levy but these things drive me insane. We don't have to do a Leeds, god i hate saying this, but we should not do a Spurs over and over.

anything less than 2 new players is a fucking joke. we need 3 but fuck it, only asking for 2

enic and levy saying that they want fight for top 4 with this politics of transfers is ans insult to the supporters and the manager

This strategy of waiting til the last minute in order to secure players at a cheaper price is really paying dividends for us :pochfacepalm:

I'm not saying "fuck them, let's get one over on them by letting them keep him", I'm just saying that the spoiled brats are the people that are acting as though West Brom are just aching to sell us Berahino.

We're obviously still in for him and we're rattling West Brom well and good if they keep releasing statements like this, but singing Berahino is not a foregone conclusion. If we sign him then it will be an obvious sign that the club felt it was money well spent. If we don't then it could be for any number of reasons, but there are other targets out there so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
I agree with you clearly he is a target of ours but what we don't know is if they really do want to sell? I don't blame WBA one bit for this it is their right to choose who they sell and for what price. We have the same right with our players.

Why are you all so gullible?

I get all of us are desperate but if people are convinced that we want him and will pay the 25m, then obviously it will be done on deadline day so WBA looks good. It's all been planned out if our management is any good.

If Levy fails to sign anyone it is all on him. Really stupid going into the season with one striker so it should not happen. If it does there is nowhere left to hide.

I think the club would be happy to fall back on Austin knowing full well he's ours for £15,000,000 if a bid is made.

Problem is, he'll no doubt be gone by that time.

This strategy of waiting til the last minute in order to secure players at a cheaper price is really paying dividends for us :pochfacepalm:
People keeps saying this as if Levy has announced that is his strategy.

It's a made up assumption that makes no sense at all.

I seriously doubt that is why we are waiting for deals to happen.

Levy will know well that it's in the selling clubs interest to drag things out. This is being dictated by them not us.

The lads worth 15m on his current achievements. He's not even got an England cap for gods sake.

As much as I want levy to just cough up the 25m I can't blame him for not doing so.

this is fucking maddening £25 m just fucking pay the asking price Levy

OFFS.gif
What asking price? As far as I know there is no price tag on Berahino, no price clause in his contract. The only official statements is that we have bid 18m for him and that they have turned it down. Pearce also saidhe has told Levy he's not for sale. So effectively that means they haven't asked us for £25m have they? Also the next move after telling an interested club he is NOT for sale is for the player to hand in a transfer request. They have made a statement saying they have turned down his written transfer request .
£18m is well enough for a boy who scored 14 league goals( 4 from the spot) who took 38 games to do that and only scored 4 of those goals away from home.
The season before he scored 5 goals in 33.

Lets have a look at who he scored against last year:

Sunderland 2, Burnley 2, Spam, Hull, Southampton, Villa, Man U, Palace, Swansea, Liverpool, Chavs 2.
Only 4 of those goals ( don't know if any of those were pens) have come when he was playing as a secondary striker or on the RW.
He only made 1 assist, v QPR from secondary striker position.
4 goals against top 6 sides.
So, 10 goals from the CF position ( I don't know how many of those were penalties)says to me that for him to score regularly and get anywhere near last years tally he has to play every game and he has to play CF.
If we need a 'back up' for Kane, then he's not going to. The only way I believe he can play every PL games is if he plays on the right. Will he score as many goals from that position? Will he make assists from that position if he doesn't?
The only other option is if Kane plays as No 10 and he plays off him. Of course that also means we are risking injury to our 'back up'. It also means either we drop one of our two best goalscoring mids - unless Poch decides to play Chadli on the right and Eriksen on the left.
Are we going to pay £25m+ for a player who will be 'back up' to Kane as Kane will be the preferred striker? ( And I dont mean bench warmer but playing, for e.g., 15 league games a season)
We have two midfielders who did just as well goal wise last season ( 10 goals not inc pens) and they are not strikers.
Berahino may be decent but no fucking way is he worth £25m.
If we do pay through the nose for him, let's hope the same people who are saying 'cough up you tight cunt' are not the same who are saying 'he wasted money, again' if he doesn't do as fantastically as expected.

Hahaha yes! This is the exact comment I was making. I definitely referenced those three by name.

So are you suggesting that just because our transfers for Soldado, Lamela (who was a contingency signing after we lost Willian), and Paulinho failed despite the fact they were identified by a different scouting set up and under a different manager that we should no longer go after our primary targets? Tell me more.
Dempsey was signed by a different manager and scouting set-up as well, but it didn't stop you from using him as an example, so why can't I do the same?

No signing is a nailed on success. Soldado was maybe the clearest example of an assured success, and look how that panned out. But I'm not saying don't pursue our primary targets. That's ridiculous on the face of it and you're just attacking a straw man when you try to put words like that in my mouth.

Lamela wasn't a contingency signing. We signed him after Willian failed, but we were continually linked with him all summer and were trying to get both of them done. Eriksen was the signing that came into play when Willian failed, and he's been better in the Prem than either of them, at a fraction of the price as well.

You just can't use failed signings to claim that the alternative would have been a success. It's fallacy. There is risk with every transfer.

What asking price? As far as I know there is no price tag on Berahino, no price clause in his contract. The only official statements is that we have bid 18m for him and that they have turned it down. Pearce also saidhe has told Levy he's not for sale. So effectively that means they haven't asked us for £25m have they? Also the next move after telling an interested club he is NOT for sale is for the player to hand in a transfer request. They have made a statement saying they have turned down his written transfer request .
£18m is well enough for a boy who scored 14 league goals( 4 from the spot) who took 38 games to do that and only scored 4 of those goals away from home.
The season before he scored 5 goals in 33.

Lets have a look at who he scored against last year:

Sunderland 2, Burnley 2, Spam, Hull, Southampton, Villa, Man U, Palace, Swansea, Liverpool, Chavs 2.
Only 4 of those goals ( don't know if any of those were pens) have come when he was playing as a secondary striker or on the RW.
He only made 1 assist, v QPR from secondary striker position.
4 goals against top 6 sides.
So, 10 goals from the CF position ( I don't know how many of those were penalties)says to me that for him to score regularly and get anywhere near last years tally he has to play every game and he has to play CF.
If we need a 'back up' for Kane, then he's not going to. The only way I believe he can play every PL games is if he plays on the right. Will he score as many goals from that position? Will he make assists from that position if he doesn't?
The only other option is if Kane plays as No 10 and he plays off him. Of course that also means we are risking injury to our 'back up'. It also means either we drop one of our two best goalscoring mids - unless Poch decides to play Chadli on the right and Eriksen on the left.
Are we going to pay £25m+ for a player who will be 'back up' to Kane as Kane will be the preferred striker?
We have two midfielders who did just as well goal wise last season ( 10 goals from open play) and they are not strikers.
Berahino may be decent but no fucking way is he worth £25m.
If we do pay through the nose for him, let's hope the same people who are saying 'cough up you tight cunt' are not the same who are saying 'he wasted money, again' if he doesn't do as fantastically as expected.
We may not publicly know what WBA selling price is even though 25 has been floating around but surely Levy will have asked what is the price. We have to have gotten that far if we made two bids now, either that or he really isn't for sale at any price. Any way you slice it or debate if he is worth it we either should meet the price they want or move on. It is a waste of both clubs time to keep fucking about

I like Berahino but the more and more I see Austin the more and more convinced I am.
It's a no brainer mate. Charlie has come up the hard way, no fancy academies ... Kintbury Rangers to the Premier League. He knows if we sign him that is his big break, he will work like a dog to make sure he takes his chance.

You know who he reminds me of a bit? Steve Archibald ... it doesn't have to be pretty, but it's going in the net.

Dempsey was signed by a different manager and scouting set-up as well, but it didn't stop you from using him as an example, so why can't I do the same?

No signing is a nailed on success. Soldado was maybe the clearest example of an assured success, and look how that panned out. But I'm not saying don't pursue our primary targets. That's ridiculous on the face of it and you're just attacking a straw man when you try to put words like that in my mouth.

Lamela wasn't a contingency signing. We signed him after Willian failed, but we were continually linked with him all summer and were trying to get both of them done. Eriksen was the signing that came into play when Willian failed, and he's been better in the Prem than either of them, at a fraction of the price as well.

You just can't use failed signings to claim that the alternative would have been a success. It's fallacy. There is risk with every transfer.

All I said was our track record with our contingency signings was poor. Never said that Berahino was a bang on success.

Of course there is risk in every transfer but I don't understand why I shouldn't prefer our first choice signings to unidentified second choice ones. Considering the second choice option isn't identified yet I only have our past contingency signings to go on which have been cheap and of debatable quality.

It's a no brainer mate. Charlie has come up the hard way, no fancy academies ... Kintbury Rangers to the Premier League. He knows if we sign him that is his big break, he will work like a dog to make sure he takes his chance.

You know who he reminds me of a bit? Steve Archibald ... it doesn't have to be pretty, but it's going in the net.
People may disparage Dempsey, but he's the same. By hook or by crook he got it in the net. Not quite as often as Archibald mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom