Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
The real question here is, WHERE ARE THE ITKS? Have they gotten sick of wasting their omnipotence on the members of the unworthy. DONT FORSAKE US ITKS. WE'LL PRAISE YOU HARDER NEXT TIME. We know you knew about Stambouli before us, I promise! :avbpray:

Still doesn't show a particular level of content with the current midfield options. He sounds like a Schneiderlin-lite, which means we are missing out on MS because of money, as per usual.

I disagree that we cant afford MS.

I think that our CMs have shown enough to Poch and he can see we dont need to be spending that kind of money in that area. Others have said it from day one.

It was you and some others that decided our midfielders cant play in Pochs system. That didnt make it true though. It was just an opinion pretty much based on your very eager wish for the player.

If we get rid of a fringe player for the new guy, then it would suggest we are happy with the senior players.

Contrary to what ... the official Montpellier website and twitter??? :pochfacepalm:

From the official website:
MHSC and Tottenham Hotspur FC have reached an agreement regarding the transfer of Benjamin Stambouli . It should go to London in the next few hours to undergo a medical and finalize his contract.

Also, some have mentioned Marseille have been linked with Stambouli heavily recently, and he apparently turned them down. Marseille are currently managed by Bielsa, Pochettino's mentor and the guy who instilled in him a love for a high intensity pressing game.

Not sure if this had anything to do with it but Marseille just played Montepellier a week or two ago, and lost to them 2-0 at home -- you can see Strambouli doing some characteristic high intensity pressing at about 0:35, should have scored too honestly

To keep it short ... because we have many Sandro-type players (as in defensive, I mean) and few Holtby type players.

Fair enough. I (politely) disagree though. We have Capoue for sure, but is Benteleb really better then Sandro. And who else could play as our ball winner (who we have signed so far).

I like Holtby very much as a player, but just like GTS I can't see a position which he can make his own, where as I can with Sandro because he's done it before.

Assuming Stambouli signs, we have the following players for the two CM spots:
Capoue, Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Stambouli, Holtby.

That's just too many. At least two should be sold. As I see it we have pairs of Capoue/Sandro and Dembele/Bentaleb. So I would sell Paulinho and Holtby, with Stambouli left to fight his way into the team.

Assuming Stambouli signs, we have the following players for the two CM spots:
Capoue, Sandro, Dembele, Paulinho, Bentaleb, Stambouli, Holtby.

That's just too many. At least two should be sold. As I see it we have pairs of Capoue/Sandro and Dembele/Bentaleb. So I would sell Paulinho and Holtby, with Stambouli left to fight his way into the team.

Out of that, I'd sell Paulinho for sure ... but knowing Sandro's injury problems and the African Cup of Nations (Bentaleb), I wouldn't want to sell too many... I do have a bad feeling Holtby will go though.

Fair enough. I (politely) disagree though. We have Capoue for sure, but is Benteleb really better then Sandro. And who else could play as our ball winner (who we have signed so far).

I like Holtby very much as a player, but just like GTS I can't see a position which he can make his own, where as I can with Sandro because he's done it before.
I respect your opinion too. So I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

You're right, Bentaleb perhaps isn't better than Sandro. But ... I do have to say, they both are different types of players. And I highly think that Bentaleb will become a better player than Sandro one day. And as for Holtby, I just think he's more useful as a sub than Sandro as a starter (at his current atm quality), especially since I don't think Sandro is a Poch type of player.

But that being said, if Sandro stays ... then great. But if not ... I won't lose any sleep.

Oh and if I can make a prediction on who goes ... I'll be honest: I think it will be Holtby, not Sandro.

Saving ourselves about 20M, and getting a player who can also cover RB and CB.

Smart move.

He can play backup right back? No more Naughton?

2z7l9tv.gif

Out of that, I'd sell Paulinho for sure ... but knowing Sandro's injury problems and the African Cup of Nations (Bentaleb), I wouldn't want to sell too many... I do have a bad feeling Holtby will go though.

Paulinho scored in his last prem start for us. Scored and assisted yesterday. Basically matched MS creative and scoring record for the whole of last season in 2 games.

:paulinholol:

Not Levy? Seems the cost is about 1/5 of a Schneiderlin.
A mix of both then, perhaps ... But I'm just saying, we have actually bought pretty decent players overall, and so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Broomfield was a strong factor in it. That fella has a really good eye for talent, with keeping price in mind.

We're still overstuffed in CM though, maybe Holtby will be sold instead...

I'm not sure if a central midfielder is automatically in danger.

Lennon and Townsend are not immune to make way since we are playing a 5 man midfield.

Paulinho just proved he can be more useful in the final third than Townsend and Lennon. IMO Bentaleb can also make the switch to AM and so can Dembele. So many options for us.

Maybe wishful thinking on my part that our wingers will make way.

I'm LOVING these no nonsense signings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom