Summer 2014 Transfer Window DISCUSSION Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know when/if MS comes in....and you see that we havent signed Paul Gascoigne Mk2....will you concede that perhaps all we've done is a like for like transfer at best?

We are not talking about a Modric here.

Modric is a top five midfielder in the world. Not being Modric doesn't make him a like for like transfer. I think worst case scenario he is a significant improvement on Dembele and Sandro who I rate as only average. Best case scenario he is even more influential than Capoue has been in our first two games.

I watched a significant amount of Southampton last season as they were one of the most fun teams to watch in the league and I always enjoy a team coming from the lower half of the table playing great football, just like Swansea has done recently. I've watched even more of their games since Pochettino was hired and the conclusion I come to every time is Schneiderlin is a game changer. He was the crux of everything Southampton did offensively and defensively. Most important player on the pitch bar none. Naturally, the English media chose to focus on the young English players and his importance was never talked about in a wide spread fashion.

I think with the way Capoue and Bentaleb have looked so far, if we added Schneiderlin our center midfield could be close to best in the league. Arguably only behind City and Chelsea. Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho share the fatal flaw of being extremely limited passers of the ball, I just don't think that will cut in a high paced system based on quick ball movement. They will limit our potential.

If Schneiderlin comes in and flops I have no problem admitting that I'm wrong. I've never had a problem admitting to not being correct. For example, I had no problem with potentially selling Capoue in January. He looked out of shape and uninterested and the rumors of his attitude were not good. I was dead wrong, he clearly just needed the right system around him. I was dead wrong. Naturally, I think I'm right about Schneiderlin but I will be able to admit if I'm wrong.

Well shit, I love a good Stromboli. We've signed a great lunch that's for sure.

It looks like from that video he has some experience playing CB, so he's probably defensively solid. If he plays the ball quickly and accurately forward from the midfield and is defensively responsible then he'll fill a need. As previously noted by ArtyB ArtyB he was targeted by Bielsa so he should fit into a Pochettino system.

Bummed if that means no Schneiderlin but maybe next summer.

Am I the first?

BG5vnwO.jpg

Modric is a top five midfielder in the world. Not being Modric doesn't make him a like for like transfer. I think worst case scenario he is a significant improvement on Dembele and Sandro who I rate as only average. Best case scenario he is even more influential than Capoue has been in our first two games.

I watched a significant amount of Southampton last season as they were one of the most fun teams to watch in the league and I always enjoy a team coming from the lower half of the table playing great football, just like Swansea has done recently. I've watched even more of their games since Pochettino was hired and the conclusion I come to every time is Schneiderlin is a game changer. He was the crux of everything Southampton did offensively and defensively. Most important player on the pitch bar none. Naturally, the English media chose to focus on the young English players and his importance was never talked about in a wide spread fashion.

I think with the way Capoue and Bentaleb have looked so far, if we added Schneiderlin our center midfield could be close to best in the league. Arguably only behind City and Chelsea. Dembele, Sandro, Paulinho share the fatal flaw of being extremely limited passers of the ball, I just don't think that will cut in a high paced system based on quick ball movement. They will limit our potential.

If Schneiderlin comes in and flops I have no problem admitting that I'm wrong. I've never had a problem admitting to not being correct. For example, I had no problem with potentially selling Capoue in January. He looked out of shape and uninterested and the rumors of his attitude were not good. I was dead wrong, he clearly just needed the right system around him. I was dead wrong. Naturally, I think I'm right about Schneiderlin but I will be able to admit if I'm wrong.

Great point, pochs system relies heavily on quick accurate passing which suits capoue, bentaleb and the like more so that paulinho, Sandro and dembele. This is not to say they are not great players but they may not suit the system.

Kind of begs the question why we are seemingly sticking with what we have now though doesnt it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom