Steven Bergwijn

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Another one to blame Jose for. Laughable.

I think every manager has players (types of players?) they suit, and those they dont.

Clearly, having watched us for 18 months under Mourinho, he wasnt that great for attacking players (or attacking play?).

And traditionally he has always got the best from Defenders.

I dont find it strange someone like Bergwijn didnt do too well under him, I do find it strange the like of Dier/Sanchez went actively backward under him.

I think every manager has players (types of players?) they suit, and those they dont.

Clearly, having watched us for 18 months under Mourinho, he wasnt that great for attacking players (or attacking play?).

I dont find it strange someone like Bergwijn didnt do too well under him, I do find it strange the like of Dier/Sanchez went actively backward under him.
Jose didn't plan to play so defensively from day one. His formation was very attacking initially, often leaving a full back very high up. Our defence can't stop leaking goals and he got fed up, started defending with 9 players.

One of his biggest mistakes was not getting a top defender in

Jose didn't plan to play so defensively from day one. His formation was very attacking initially, often leaving a full back very high up. Our defence can't stop leaking goals and he got fed up, started defending with 9 players.

I think he bottled it at the first sign of trouble and swung in the complete opposite direction.

Slipped straight into classic backs against the wall Jose...

And its not as if his attacking was that systemic, it was quite haphazard.

How did Lindelof, Shaw and other Man Utd defenders do under him? Traditionally, sure, his defenders may have looked ok 10 or 15 years ago. He lost his touch a long time ago, though.

The mistake was getting Mourinho in. The problem is that it does not work very well anymore to have a solid defensve and just hope that the attackers can make something happen, and that he does not know how to get the balance between attack and defence right. He was full of praise about our squad before taking over as our manager, he has no excuses.

If we are gonna play 433 I genuinely think he could play in the midfield 3. He’s shown he can be disciplined tracking back, he’s technically good and quite strong. Also has some pace to break lines from deep. I just don’t see enough to justify a starting place in a front 3 wanting CL football.

I've never been convinced with Stevie but I have to say he's shown some promising signs in pre-season, he looks a lot sharper. In fact I've noticed that across our team, maybe there is some truth in the lack of fitness work under Mourinho.

He still runs into channels and loses the ball a bit too easily but I'm willing to give him a shot this season, if there is more to come from him he can be exciting.

I would not put it past him that he could overtake Moura in the pecking order.

If I compare the two, what are the skills that Moura has significantly more?
- pace - around same
- finishing ability - advantage Moura
- directness - advantage Moura
- touch/technique - advantage Bergwijn
- reading the game - advantage Bergwijn
- doing the dirty work/tracking back - around same

So both have their advantages. One difference is that Moura is 5 years older and has been here 2 years longer. I believe that Bergwijn has more room to improve, while Moura ability should have peaked.

But we will see. In last window Moura was clearly better and more useful than Bergwijn.

Lucas is miles and miles faster.

I think he bottled it at the first sign of trouble and swung in the complete opposite direction.

Slipped straight into classic backs against the wall Jose...

And its not as if his attacking was that systemic, it was quite haphazard.
Yes it was the 3-3 with West Ham when everything changed.
When Chelsea won the league on his return, we battered them 5-3 on New Years Day, he immediately went back to defending and just won most games 1-0 to win the league.
Thank god he’s gone.

Right back Wing back, in a midfield three...what are some of you actually inhaling?

He's a decent player; just doesn't look like he's gonna score and assist at any great rate at this level....

Good work-rate, links up well, decent pace (when he's in top shape)... Adaptable skillset.

pike-0.gif
Is it me or is he getting bigger/thicker?

Stevie needs a good run of games from now until the winter transfer window. If he settles in, great. If not, we might as well call up Ajax and see if they still want him then.

Too many other issues to look at now and players to move now then spend time on Steve's possible move.

Stevie needs a good run of games from now until the winter transfer window. If he settles in, great. If not, we might as well call up Ajax and see if they still want him then.

Too many other issues to look at now and players to move now then spend time on Steve's possible move.
Agree - few players in the same boat…. Just give them 25 games and see Ndombele, Tanganga, Rodon etc. Play them

Back
Top Bottom